Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bedding in brakes and MOT  (Read 2632 times)

Kieran

• Dorset
    • View Profile
Bedding in brakes and MOT
« on: 12 August 2010, 22:18:52 »

After replacing the pads and dics on my Senator, how do i go about bedding in the brakes prior to an MOT.
The reason i am asking is because i need to bed in the brakes before an MOT for it not to fail on brake performance.The car has got no MOT or Tax but is insured. To get the Tax as you already know requires an MOT.The car is sure to fail on brake performance until i have bedded in the brakes how can this be done?
Am i allowed to run the brakes in prior to a MOT or does it have to be booked into an MOT station and try and bed the brakes in on the way there (would be difficult as the MOT station is less than 2 miles away).
Any ideas please as i am confused as the correct way of going about this whilst staying on the correct side of the law.

Kieran
« Last Edit: 12 August 2010, 22:20:00 by kieran »

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Re: Bedding in brakes and MOT
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2010, 22:21:59 »

No reason why your brakes would fail with new discs and pads.  The brake efficiency for an MOT is extremely low.  They just have to brake relatively evenly per axle set.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2010, 22:24:41 »

who said you had to go in a straight line? :y

(drive round the block dabbing the brake as you drive)

(with a good view to the rear)
« Last Edit: 12 August 2010, 22:26:12 by tapper888 »

Kieran

• Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2010, 22:26:51 »

Closest MOT station near you i thought and you have to be on your way there, not via the country roads.
Also bedding in requires different speeds than braking to do the job properly. As the garage is so close i would be lucky to acheive that.
« Last Edit: 12 August 2010, 22:29:42 by kieran »

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2010, 22:27:07 »

Take the scenic(ish) route and apply brakes often and moderately, with cooling time between. 

As said, the actual efficiencies are relatively low when on a rolling road.  provided there is no imbalance or disc distortion, should be fine.   :y

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2010, 22:28:47 »

Closest MOT station near you i thought and you have to be on your way there, not via the country roads.

Not so.  It is not a good idea, however, to purchase your new steed in, say, Cornwall, and book it for a test in your home town of Aberdeen......  ;)  Thats really stretching the bounds of legality, I suggest.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2010, 22:33:27 »

You need to take a direct route to the pre-booked MOT station.  However, there isn't a copper in the country who would shaft you for getting petrol, fags and a paper whilst you are on your way there...... You NEED petrol to get to the MOT station, you need fags because the half hour wait is stressful and you need a paper to check the Classifieds for a new car when you get the red ticket  ;D

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2010, 23:07:44 »

A bad but quick way to do it, is pull the handbrake up as you drive along for a few seconds or so, I've done it in the past smoking like a gooden they were  ;D

A better way to do it, is drive the long way around to the MOT station brake moderately every now and again, keep dabbing every now and again, but give the brakes time to cool down a bit too  :y

It shouldn't really be an issue though, I've had, for example my Ford Scorpio pass the MOT with new brakes on the back which it originally failed on, it's only a couple of miles if that to the test station too.
« Last Edit: 12 August 2010, 23:09:54 by LSG_1 »
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2010, 23:09:56 »

A bad but quick way to do it, is pull the handbrake up as you drive along for a few seconds or so, I've done it in the past smoking like a gooden they were  ;D

A better way to do it, is drive the long way around to the MOT station brake moderately every now and again, keep dabbing every now and again, but give the braks time to cool down a bit too  :y

Remember the handbrake shoes and the rear brake pads are two completely different and seperate entities, working independantly of each other.....  ;)

Would agree with the scenic route, however, as long as its not via your grannies house hundreds of miles away....   :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2010, 00:21:47 »

You don't want to get them smoking on brand new pads either. Just enough gentle braking to get them working with some degree of efficiency. Get a few hundred gentle miles on them before you start heating them up.

I would be surprised if it fails but I believe you can ask for a road test under certain circumstances.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2010, 00:29:11 »

After replacing the pads and dics on my Senator, how do i go about bedding in the brakes .....

new discs & pads are virtually bedded in straight from the box. The faces of both the disc & pad are flat ..... how much bedding in do you need?  ;)  ;)   ;)  ;)   :y

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 August 2010, 00:31:39 »

You don't want to get them smoking on brand new pads either. Just enough gentle braking to get them working with some degree of efficiency. Get a few hundred gentle miles on them before you start heating them up.

I would be surprised if it fails but I believe you can ask for a road test under certain circumstances.

Kevin

I wont question your awesome, seldom wrong info, but I doubt you'll find an MOT tester nowadays who knows how to 'road-test' a car, let alone agree to do it immediately after it has failed a roller brake test.  ;D

Anyways, OP....... If you drive the 2 miles, and you stop in a straight line when you come to a junction, you'll pass the MOT brake test.  It's a farse to be honest.  The efficiencies required are below what I believe to be a 'safe' level.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 August 2010, 00:32:21 »

After replacing the pads and dics on my Senator, how do i go about bedding in the brakes .....

new discs & pads are virtually bedded in straight from the box. The faces of both the disc & pad are flat ..... how much bedding in do you need?  ;)  ;)   ;)  ;)   :y

I have had disks that are pretty coarsely machined before - the ones I put on the Westfield took 2 or 3k miles before the fronts were working properly. Doesn't help that it's too light to work the brakes hard unless you're being a hooligan I suppose. ::)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 August 2010, 00:33:42 »

Aye!  Changed front discs and pads on mine a week ago and replaced fluid.  Tested the 'pedal' twice on the way down my cul-de-sac, and by the time I got to the end (150metres) the brakes felt better than they did before I changed them.

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 August 2010, 00:41:45 »

they need bedding in.

if you do a full disc and pad change all round the brakes are especially rubbish so much so that even after a good smoking (residual protection oils) i still feel it best to whack a sticker on the dash advising of poor performance.

next time you see the motor the brakes are spot on again.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 August 2010, 00:47:12 »

they need bedding in.

if you do a full disc and pad change all round the brakes are especially rubbish so much so that even after a good smoking (residual protection oils) i still feel it best to whack a sticker on the dash advising of poor performance.

next time you see the motor the brakes are spot on again.

There should be no protection oil remaining, if fitted correctly.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 August 2010, 00:49:22 »

they need bedding in.

define 'bedding in' to me then ....... I must've been doing it wrong for the last 30 years  :-?

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 August 2010, 13:54:30 »

Sorry Andy, cant agree with that at all.

I put new disks and pads on my GLS a while back and as good as they were straight out of th box at low speed I had no confidence in them at high speed.  I build the heat and braking cyles up carefully and then I was happy with them after about 100/110 miles

Same again on the Elite, genuine Vx disks and pads, not as good as the others out of the box, took my time bedding them in, came good after about 90 miles, were ok for notmal driving in the first 90 miles just not spirited driving incase they were called upon in an emergency.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2010, 13:54:33 »

Kevin

I wont question your awesome, seldom wrong info, but I doubt you'll find an MOT tester nowadays who knows how to 'road-test' a car, let alone agree to do it immediately after it has failed a roller brake test.  ;D

??? :-? :-? :-? :-?

All MOT testers can drive... The "Road Test" for brakes is a decellerometer test... Drive in a straight line, has to meet a certain "Rate" dependant on car and pull in a straight line.... Simple!

It is (or should I say was) part of the Testers training when I did it several years back as most places can't put a proper 4x4 on the rollers ;) ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 August 2010, 13:56:57 »

Sorry Andy, cant agree with that at all.

I put new disks and pads on my GLS a while back and as good as they were straight out of th box at low speed I had no confidence in them at high speed.  I build the heat and braking cyles up carefully and then I was happy with them after about 100/110 miles

Same again on the Elite, genuine Vx disks and pads, not as good as the others out of the box, took my time bedding them in, came good after about 90 miles, were ok for notmal driving in the first 90 miles just not spirited driving incase they were called upon in an emergency.

I agree that they aren't at peak efficiency "out of the box" but are good enough to pass a MOT test ;)

I always advised 200 miles of gentle to moderate braking for bedding in when in the garage with a further 300 miles of caution :y

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 August 2010, 14:01:40 »

I agree that they aren't at peak efficiency "out of the box" but are good enough to pass a MOT test ;)

I always advised 200 miles of gentle to moderate braking for bedding in when in the garage with a further 300 miles of caution :y[/quote]

Yes would agree, 50/100 miles of short heat cycles. then montitor as feel they progress.

A golden (unwritten) rule - Never fit new brakes the day before a holday or towing with a van and risk all your family whilst bedding in brakes, do it at least 500 miles before hand
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 August 2010, 14:11:04 »

A golden (unwritten) rule - Never fit new brakes the day before a holday or towing with a van and risk all your family whilst bedding in brakes, do it at least 500 miles before hand

Which reminds me... Must move the brake fitting up my list of priorities other wise I'll be bedding them in on the way to Dover ::)

Must ring Andyc ;D ;D

johny5

• Intermediate Member
  • Portsmouth, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 August 2010, 09:13:45 »

ive fitted a fresh pair of disks n pads before n took it straight to mot the next day with no probs on passing so u should be ok.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.