Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: winter pack pump  (Read 1891 times)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
winter pack pump
« on: 01 December 2012, 16:34:13 »

Does this run all the time or only when the controls have a certain setting both inlet and outlet on mine heat up very quickly before I get any heat on the top hose . I just wonder if the pump can be stopped to help heating the engine quicker.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: winter pack pump
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2012, 17:47:29 »

.... I just wonder if the pump can be stopped to help heating the engine quicker.

The pump, whether running or not, doesn't make the engine get hotter any faster ........  :-\ :-\

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2012, 11:25:14 »

Warms the cabin with residual heat from the coolent with engine off. Ie when parked up, sat in the car waiting, and you want some heat in the car.

It will flatten the battery within an hour in conjunction with a radio. Ask MrsGixer. ::)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2012, 14:26:29 »

.... I just wonder if the pump can be stopped to help heating the engine quicker.

The pump, whether running or not, doesn't make the engine get hotter any faster ........  :-\ :-\
If it is pumping warm water round the heater matrix (therefore losing heat to the cabin) I imagine that switching the climate system off would fractionally shorten the time the engine takes to warm up :-\ Keeping the screen clear is my first priority though so I won't testing that theory any time soon. ;)

PS I did have a problem with the engine not getting up to temperature but fitting a new thermostat fixed that. :y
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2012, 18:43:02 »

If it is pumping warm water round the heater matrix (therefore losing heat to the cabin) I imagine that switching the climate system off would fractionally shorten the time the engine takes to warm up :-\ Keeping the screen clear is my first priority though so I won't testing that theory any time soon. ;)

PS I did have a problem with the engine not getting up to temperature but fitting a new thermostat fixed that. :y

It only runs when the engine is off and you press the on button on the climate control ;)
Retired

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2012, 19:10:59 »

sorry, it always runs with the engine on, too.

Well, at least all of mine do ( 4 out of 4 ! )

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2012, 19:21:24 »

Mine certainly runs all the time or the pump is being bypassed because both  inlet and oulet get hot I have felt the pump but cant tell whether it is running, If it was warmer my other half might come out and switch engine on and of so that I can feel for a change in the pump

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2012, 19:37:36 »

There will be heat from the pipes as the engine water pump is running, no? There's no valve involved, other than the hbv of course which is not related to winter pump.

My only doubt is when the electrical power is applied. But sit in the car ignition on engine off, you do have to turn the climate on to get heat.

I'd be interested to see what tis says...?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2012, 20:22:28 »

In my old 1994 CD (without the extra pump) it was noticeable that if I was stuck in a queue for a while the heat from the cabin heater would diminish but there would be a rush of heat once I got moving again.

With my present F/L elite (with the extra pump) it definitely doesn't do that so I think the pump runs whenever the climate control wants heat.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2012, 21:31:50 »

Removed mine on two omegas, never noticed an ounce of difference. Tbh.

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2012, 22:19:55 »

Warms the cabin with residual heat from the coolent with engine off. Ie when parked up, sat in the car waiting, and you want some heat in the car.

It will flatten the battery within an hour in conjunction with a radio. Ask MrsGixer. ::)

How long would you expect this heat to last? I only seem to get a few minutes on mine.

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 02 December 2012, 22:25:56 »

How long would you expect this heat to last? I only seem to get a few minutes on mine.
given how hot the engine still is when wanting to work on it after a run, longer than a couple of minutes. But I don't really know personally, it's so long since I had a working one, as mine run LPG with vap sited where the pump normally lives.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 December 2012, 16:13:10 »

chris I tried engine hot just ignition on and auto climate and same with engine running there doesnt seem to be any difference do we have an electrical expert with a circuit diagram to solve this

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 December 2012, 17:10:38 »

Circuit diagram won't help. It's driven straight from the climate panel, so whatever logic the climate panel firmware implements defines its' behaviour.

I've also ditched mine with no noticeable effect on heating behaviour other than it doesn't keep the car warm with the engine stopped any more. I only got mine to pump when the car was parked up, but I know the pump runs constantly if the climate panel is not configured for the winter pack. I've also not had a working one in the car for so long that my recollections may be false. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 December 2012, 22:16:40 »

It seems to me that I should just forget that it is there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.