Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: And today I spent all my money on ....  (Read 3940 times)

cd 2.2

Re: And today I spent all my money on ....
« Reply #30 on: 31 March 2014, 00:15:13 »

tempting but 71.7 miles might kill the front tyres ???

05omegav6

« Reply #31 on: 31 March 2014, 00:16:43 »

Cheap wishbones aren't necessarily a bad buy, but you need to be very careful what you buy and where from...

Firstline and Delphi definitely worth avoiding for starters... and it's almost certainly worth fitting front polys and genuine rear bushes to any wishbone prior to fitting. That way they stand a genuine chance of lasting more than five minutes :y

Last but not least, getting the car set up properly afterwards is critical, and Wheels In Motion is as good a place as any :y

Go to the Wheels In Motion web site and look for one of there affiliates near you. That way you should get WIMs settings locally. Chesham isn't that far from you :-X

Front end settings alone are irrelevant btw... the car needs setting up completely front AND rear. Anyone who says different is wasting your time :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 31 March 2014, 09:23:55 »

And for steering idler play, see the relevant guide, and it shows a video of one of my cars with a knackered idler.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 31 March 2014, 09:27:56 »

As for geo, needs to be a full geo check, as 4 wheel alignment/laser alignment/tracking are all a waste of money on our Omegas.  To start with, you need to get the back straight, as that is the reference point. The thrust angle needs to be 0.00', and don't let any place fob you off with anything else, and that needs to be set first before attacking other settings.

To make matters worse, the GM supplied factory settings are unsuitable for older cars (and not great for brand new ones!), being far to wide, with the centre point on the front camber being far too aggressive.
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 31 March 2014, 16:36:42 »

Well this time is a needs must with the pattern parts! I couldn't afford all this at genuine prices  :(

If I get a year out of them I will be happy enough, As for the cat, well it's got to sound better than it does now! It's not always an option to wait around for the right second hand or genuine item. I need the car daily so I don't have much options open at the moment.
It's a non genuine sensor unfortunately  so as you said Al I will be changing it again soon for sure, but it should hopefully stop the starting issues and backfiring for a while until I get a genuine part ::)

If its the flexi failed then buy a new flexi and pop down to me and I will weld it in for you then you can refit the original at your convenience in the future and use the pattern part to get you by in the mean time.

sjr47

« Reply #35 on: 31 March 2014, 16:56:58 »

Belive WIM have a franchise place in Mansfield according to their website Tyre 4 U Ltd

Unit 7
Anglia Way
Southwell Road West
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
NG18 4LP
£115 full geo
« Last Edit: 31 March 2014, 16:58:30 by sjr47 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 31 March 2014, 17:22:05 »

Belive WIM have a franchise place in Mansfield according to their website Tyre 4 U Ltd

Unit 7
Anglia Way
Southwell Road West
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
NG18 4LP
£115 full geo
Remember, you must book via WIM in order to get the WIM settings, and the before/after should make its way back to WIM HQ for quality checks
Grumpy old man

cd 2.2

« Reply #37 on: 31 March 2014, 20:25:04 »

would the back wheels have to come off to do the geo? I only ask as it has stupid locking nuts that are far too tight and need to be butchered off (trust me i tried every other option)!

At the moment the exhaust is on the floor under the car ... can't get the thing to part ways with the car, All rubbers are removed, Can't split the joints  >:( ! Downpipe/cat is undone from the manifold, But the nuts that join the cat to the middle section are that rusty they are just round stubs that I can't remove  >:( ! To top it off it decided to rain on me to REALLY piss me off !
Back to unuseable again for the 5th time this month and really too stressed to do anymore today ... And just to make a bad situation worse, the gas men are coming to fit the new boiler for which I need to move the car. So tough luck there  ::)

Anyone got any matches??  :D

cd 2.2

« Reply #38 on: 01 April 2014, 00:19:25 »

Finally got the whole exhaust off  ;D All of it was extracted from the under side of the car in one whole piece :y

I found that full right hand lock was the answer to easily drop the cat off ... after that point it was plain sailing and a huge amount of jacking and repositioning the exhaust! At least I can now move it when the gas people arrive (and yes I only just finished)  ::)
The cat that was fitted looks like a very old pattern part and looks identical to the one I bought with all the spares the other day
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.