Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Well impressed with new boiler  (Read 3325 times)

Taxi_Driver

Well impressed with new boiler
« on: 05 October 2014, 18:42:56 »

All in and installed in day and a 3/4  :y

Was very surprised by the amount of sludge in the system after the plumber showed me the magnets out of the powerflusher. He'd left it running for over an hour and in that time about nearly an inch of sludge had built up on the two magnets  :o

And for TB.....I turned the bath hot tap on full and then turned the kitchen sink tap on full....within a minute the boiler was registering 45C (45C is the target temp for the hot water) and hot water coming out of both taps.....boiler burner was running at 80%  :y ..... so dont think i have to worry about having a shower and putting the washing machine on at the same time  :)

Oh and as an experiment the plumber agreed to leave the gas pipe at 15mm and only change it to 22mm if the pressure at the boiler was below the manu spec.....with boiler running (central heating on) it was quite a bit above the min pressure required.....so plumber left the 15mm pipe as was  :y

Just trying to get my head round the new wifi timer/stat he put in.....no simple on/off's for the heating....just 5x target temps for the day ... but think ive got it....  :-\
« Last Edit: 05 October 2014, 18:46:12 by Taxi Driver »

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
Re: Well impressed with new boiler
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2014, 19:00:27 »

Programming a boiler is like rocket science :-\ :-\

ive had mine about 6 years and still havent got the hang of it ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2014, 20:29:46 »

...... so dont think i have to worry about having a shower and putting the washing machine on at the same time  :)....

Aren't washing m/c's cold fill only? Ours is, as was the last one .....  :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2014, 20:32:51 »

...... so dont think i have to worry about having a shower and putting the washing machine on at the same time  :)....

Mine is an old Bosch.....it takes hot and cold....set it to 40C wash and above and it takes the hot water  ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2014, 21:06:57 »

Mine is an old Bosch.....it takes hot and cold....set it to 40C wash and above and it takes the hot water  ;)

That's all I know of our washer ..... it lives in the garage & SWMBO puts stuff in & then takes it out later in the day  ::)

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 October 2014, 21:21:36 »

Was very surprised by the amount of sludge in the system after the plumber showed me the magnets out of the powerflusher. He'd left it running for over an hour and in that time about nearly an inch of sludge had built up on the two magnets  :o

And for TB.....I turned the bath hot tap on full and then turned the kitchen sink tap on full....within a minute the boiler was registering 45C (45C is the target temp for the hot water) and hot water coming out of both taps.....boiler burner was running at 80%  :y ..... so dont think i have to worry about having a shower and putting the washing machine on at the same time  :)

Oh and as an experiment the plumber agreed to leave the gas pipe at 15mm and only change it to 22mm if the pressure at the boiler was below the manu spec.....with boiler running (central heating on) it was quite a bit above the min pressure required.....so plumber left the 15mm pipe as was  :yJust trying to get my head round the new wifi timer/stat he put in.....no simple on/off's for the heating....just 5x target temps for the day ... but think ive got it....  :-\

Should have tried it with gas fire on (if any) & all oven &  hob burners lit as for cooking Sunday Lunch or Turkey Dinner at Crimbo! You may find the 15mm supply struggles to give adequate pressure to supply optimum output :-\   
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 October 2014, 22:39:33 »

What make is it?

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #7 on: 06 October 2014, 05:54:59 »

Oh and as an experiment the plumber agreed to leave the gas pipe at 15mm and only change it to 22mm if the pressure at the boiler was below the manu spec.....with boiler running (central heating on) it was quite a bit above the min pressure required.....so plumber left the 15mm pipe as was  :yJust trying to get my head round the new wifi timer/stat he put in.....no simple on/off's for the heating....just 5x target temps for the day ... but think ive got it....  :-\

Should have tried it with gas fire on (if any) & all oven &  hob burners lit as for cooking Sunday Lunch or Turkey Dinner at Crimbo! You may find the 15mm supply struggles to give adequate pressure to supply optimum output :-\   

all leccy  :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2014, 18:00:58 »

Even more impressed with it now....its been a month since it was installed...

With old boiler during the summer, it used approx. 50 units of gas just heating the hot water once a day/month
During winter months this increased to approx. 200 units of gas/ month with the heating on just in the evenings.

New boiler has used 83 units this month....heating on in the mornings as well as evenings ( 20C set on the room stat 5.30am to 7am, 21C set for 5pm to 10pm)

Ok, I know October hasn't been that cold and I expect the gas usage to increase as the weather gets colder....but carnt see it getting anywhere near what the old boiler was using, even tho its on for longer than the old one  :y :)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2014, 11:23:52 »

The new boilers are so much more efficient these days, my 5 year old viessmann 200-W was measured at its recent service as 98.4% efficiency. Of course I have no idea what that means, but it sounds good!. ::) ::) ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2014, 11:34:33 »

The new boilers are so much more efficient these days, my 5 year old viessmann 200-W was measured at its recent service as 98.4% efficiency. Of course I have no idea what that means, but it sounds good!. ::) ::) ::)

Yep...time and technology move inexorably on.

A century from now a car will be made that is more efficient than an Omega. Hard to imagine I know, but believe me it WILL happen. :)
« Last Edit: 09 November 2014, 11:37:18 by Doctor Opti »

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2014, 19:11:11 »

I can certainly let you know, that wasn't measured (tho I don't know how they could measure that on a boiler service!) running at full chat....
Viessman are the only manu's afaik, that quote boiler efficiency when the burner is running at 30%....other manu's quote the efficiency at full chat....mine is suppose to be nearly 90%, id suggest probably yours is just under the 90% mark as well....

Tho tbh, as you probably know, apart from when the boiler first turns on ( unless your running a fast flow hot tap, assuming a combi boiler) the boiler soon turns the burner down....to about 20-30%,  so less condensate is escaping from the flue.... the more condensate that returns to the boiler, the more efficient it is  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 November 2014, 22:14:50 »

I can certainly let you know, that wasn't measured (tho I don't know how they could measure that on a boiler service!) running at full chat....
Viessman are the only manu's afaik, that quote boiler efficiency when the burner is running at 30%....other manu's quote the efficiency at full chat....mine is suppose to be nearly 90%, id suggest probably yours is just under the 90% mark as well....

Tho tbh, as you probably know, apart from when the boiler first turns on ( unless your running a fast flow hot tap, assuming a combi boiler) the boiler soon turns the burner down....to about 20-30%,  so less condensate is escaping from the flue.... the more condensate that returns to the boiler, the more efficient it is  :y

Came up on the printout, but ... :-\ :-\ :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 November 2014, 08:52:30 »

That's bull shit, no gas burning heater can achieve more than about 94% on the best ones....and even that's a very dubious figure......what's more, there is no way they could measure boiler efficiency, only combustion efficiency  :y. So by measuring the flue gases they are telling you its combustion performance and not its ability to turn the chemical energy into useable heat.  :y

The stupid thing is even the best of the older non-condensing ones were up in the 80's
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.