Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fibre optic question  (Read 3304 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Fibre optic question
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2015, 11:17:53 »

Just beware Guffer, you can tap into fibre fairly easily, I would say easier to do unnoticed than cable......something we used to do occasionally in the lab. But of course the likes of Port Mirroring makes it dead easy no matter what the medium.

I know what you mean but I still feel it easier to MITM ethernet than fibre.  You need to be able to use the splice and weld gear as opposed to making two ethernet plug ends.  Plus the kit for fibre costs a fortune.
Obviously depends were you need to tap into the fibre.  Fibre sniffers/taps have the advanatage over Ethernet ones of being entirely passive, and thus difficult to detect.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2015, 11:22:30 »

There was a period when aluminium twisted pair was used for this which is f-ing criminal in my view as it is much less conductive and more prone to noise but was much cheaper than copper at the time.
yeah, around the early 70s.  Copper became harder to get, and prices rocketed, so the POT had to investigate other materials (not just due to price, but also the availability, and copper was save for areas that really needed copper).

Ali was deemed at the time to be a reasonable conductor.

The plan went tits up, as also at that time, wires were going underground, and were not ducted back then...  ...making it hard to replace when the error of their ways was discovered!
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2015, 11:50:57 »

My parents telephone line is underground lead encapsulated!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2015, 09:21:07 »

My parents telephone line is underground lead encapsulated!
I recall when I used to do a real job 25yrs ago, some jumped up prick in a suit insisting there was no lead left in the ground, even when presented with a list of areas we all knew within 2 miles of the meeting.
Grumpy old man

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2015, 23:41:06 »

If you are taking about FO from your ISP then it depends on whether it is Fibre to the cabinet or to the house.  I have virgin FO to the house and I am relatively happy with it although I am looking at other options to see if they might have better reliability.

I have VPN, media servers and allsorts of external data flows and sometimes VM throughput makes these unusable.

Just be slightly pedantic, is VM not FTC with a coax link to the house.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 June 2015, 08:17:47 »

Just beware Guffer, you can tap into fibre fairly easily, I would say easier to do unnoticed than cable......something we used to do occasionally in the lab. But of course the likes of Port Mirroring makes it dead easy no matter what the medium.

I know what you mean but I still feel it easier to MITM ethernet than fibre.  You need to be able to use the splice and weld gear as opposed to making two ethernet plug ends.  Plus the kit for fibre costs a fortune.

No need to splice or fusion weld, just stripping the cladding and wrap a bare core around it....simple.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 June 2015, 09:51:50 »

No need to splice or fusion weld, just stripping the cladding and wrap a bare core around it....simple.

I would like to see that in practice, is it efficient?  get any packet drops?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 June 2015, 10:30:51 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evanescent_wave

Packet loss will only be a function of SNR, so if you see some you add a few more turns, dead simple.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 June 2015, 10:38:56 »

Everyday is a schoolday.  I had seen the FO sniffers which are a ballpark £500+ and thus out of reach of many but the most determined.  This is one I shall have to test, if the wife asks I'm blaming you ::)

Of course all this sniffing would be for nowt if/when encryption is used :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 June 2015, 18:58:58 »

Interesting, thanks for the useful information. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 June 2015, 19:03:04 »

There was a period when aluminium twisted pair was used for this which is f-ing criminal in my view as it is much less conductive and more prone to noise but was much cheaper than copper at the time.
yeah, around the early 70s.  Copper became harder to get, and prices rocketed, so the POT had to investigate other materials (not just due to price, but also the availability, and copper was save for areas that really needed copper).

Ali was deemed at the time to be a reasonable conductor.

The plan went tits up, as also at that time, wires were going underground, and were not ducted back then...  ...making it hard to replace when the error of their ways was discovered!

In high vibration environments I bet they also discovered that aluminium is also much more brittle.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.