Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Second hand rear calipers... cautionary note for buyers and sellers.  (Read 1090 times)

05omegav6

Firstly, these calipers were bought from members here, and were bought as used, sight unseen. I make no demand of either person for refund or explanation. The purpose of this post is to highlight the area of significant corrosion and what to look for in deciding if a caliper is saleable/useable or not...

A while back, I acquired a couple of pairs of vented calipers... upon cleaning, they were obviously unserviceable.

Here's why, and what you need to watch for...

Centre of the picture is the surface that the pads rest on... not the worst of the four, but nevertheless the corrosion is clear... The worst one has nothing here except a rusty stump following a wire brushing :o

A broader picture clearly showing the difference between the upper and lower surfaces...

For reference this is the inner half of the nearside caliper. To the right is another caliper from the same position. The corrosion all to obvious.

It stands to reason that the pads will eventually bind on this surface resulting in various issues including binding, uneven pad wear and brake seizure.

HTH :y

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile

Useful pics - and well worth noting.

I ended up getting a pair of recons from AGP, worked out cheaper than getting mine reconditioned myself.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile

A good clean with a wizzy wheel, bit of paint they be fine, not leaking fluid, so were  the problem.
Hoof'land storeman.

05omegav6

A good clean with a wizzy wheel, bit of paint they be fine, not leaking fluid, so were  the problem.
Apart from there being nowhere for the pads to sit, they're fine... on ebay for a fiver per half :P

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile

The piston is all corroded Where it meets the pad

05omegav6

The piston is all corroded Where it meets the pad
Starting to go... but pads should be shimmed anyways so not such a big issue... (compared to the edges of the pads jamming in the casting of course ::))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.