Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Least complicated path to a MV6 3.0 Manual  (Read 11841 times)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
Least complicated path to a MV6 3.0 Manual
« on: 07 December 2016, 17:23:10 »

Now that I’m 100% clear on the Omega I want, I decided to start a new thread with the important information from my other threads condensed in here. Things were all over the place there and got quite off topic at times.

I will be addressing different things related to the Omega I want here. I know I'm being very particular about the car I want. This is just how it is. But I'm already taking measures to try to make it easier. For example full leather is one of my requirements. But I'm already looking for a leather interior to swap in, so I don't need to be also tied to finding a car with leather interior.

I want to buy a MFL Omega MV6 3.0 with a manual transmission. I know back in the UK they are like Unicorns. But here not really. I already came across 3 Omegas MV6 manuals. I passed on them because of either too high mileage or condition. But they are out there.

Although most 3.0 are certainly automatic. So I'm giving more and more thought about buying an auto and converting it to manual. I already located a R28 gear box for very cheap here.

I thought this would be easy since many had recommended it. But then was told it's not so easy. So I wanted to ask if anybody here has swapped an auto for a manual and could give me a detailed account on what’s needed?

Apart from finding a MV6 manual I think this is the best option. To buy an auto and swap a manual in.

I know Doctor Gollan and others feel like swapping the engine is the way to go because it seems to be easier. But over here is not like the UK. Tuning is a very bureaucratic affair here.

To swap an engine would be very bureaucratic and expensive! If you get stopped and get caught with an engine which is not the one listed in your registration you are in deep trouble! Same thing with wheels, lights etc. It’s tough here.

To officially change your engine on the paper you have to take your car to the police so their engineers can look at it and see if they approve it. But believe me they will pick on everything and try to find every excuse not to give it to you. And you have to pay. If they find something which is not to their liking you then have to go back and change it if you want to get it. But next time you come back for them to check the changes you pay again! And if it still not “correct” and you need to come back again, yes you pay once more. The larger the change the harder to get approval. Even if you chip your engine you have the legal obligation of registering it if the power increase is more than a certain very small percentage like 3-5%. Although that I believe is not a big deal. You just must go there and pay. Especially if you do it with a specialized company. But anything which is not original to the car you have to go through this process.  The older the car the more strict they are as well. Not only in the inspection but also on the streets. Older cars get stopped way more often than new cars. If they see a wheel which looks too sporty for the type of car or too modern for an older car or out of place they can stop you. If they think it’s a tuned car they will ask to look at the engine. If they think the engine is modified and makes more power than what says on your registration they will ask you. If you say no but they still have doubts they can make you go have it inspected. If it turns out you were lying you are in trouble. Not only for an unregistered engine but also for lying to the police. So it’s not worth it doing it unless you have it registered.  I’m sure some risk it. I see young boys with cars that look tuned and look like they wouldn’t have the money to go through the legal process etc. But I won’t do it that way.  And to have it registered is a pain on the neck.

So I really don’t want to go through an engine swap.

In the case of the gearbox it is a bit different. The registration doesn’t really specify it. I don’t think they care for a gearbox. It is also not something that would draw attention.  The main problem with the engine is the hp increase, which affects safety. After a certain amount of hp increase they will also make you upgrade the brakes and anything safety related. And you have to have the correct hp output in the registration to pay for insurance which is based on hp output too. You know, the more hp the more tax you pay etc.

So if I want a manual, it’s either waiting till a manual 3.0  comes along, going with something else besides a 3.0 and keeping it that way or buying a 3.0 auto and swapping the gearbox. But I want a 3.0 and manual.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Least complicated path to a MV6 3.0 Manual
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2016, 18:51:57 »

I have only two rules in Omega ownership.

1.....Don't buy a 'wheezy' 2.0/2.2 four pot.

2.....Don't buy (again) an Omega with  a manual box. It's too agricultural and lorry like.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2016, 18:53:35 »

.......and rule 3........never,ever, buy an Omega (or any car) that runs on lorry fuel.  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2016, 19:30:24 »

.......and rule 3........never,ever, buy an Omega (or any car) that runs on lorry fuel.  :y

at last ... he talks some sense ......   :)  :)  :)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2016, 19:31:40 »

Thanks. But it's no longer open for debate. It must be a manual.

Besides I drove Omegas with the R25 and didn't find it bad. I guess the R28 can't be much different. If it is I would guess for the better. If it's good enough for 293BHP it can't be that bad. But it doesn't matter. It MUST be manual. ;)

P.S. I would like to keep this thread sharp and on topic please. :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2016, 19:35:12 »

Er we go again. Round and round.

You only have 2 feet why confuse yourself with 3 pedals  ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2016, 23:00:57 »

Just buy the bloody 3 pedal Merc .......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2016, 23:32:46 »

at last ... he talks some sense ......   :)  :)  :)

I seem to recall talking some sense in 2010, or perhaps it was 2014. :) ;)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2016, 05:21:48 »

If you've got your heart set on a Manual, then buy one with a Manual, job done, converting a Auto to Manual can cause issues, apart from the work involved, you wont have to worry about having to change Diff ratios, ECU Mapping, Loom, Autobox Speed Sensors etc to get the car back to standard.

Ive driven and owned quiet a few Omegas now, mostly 3.0/3.2 both Auto and Manual, nothing wrong with Manuals if your not fussed about using the 3rd Pedal which would always be my preferred choice.

3.0 Manual are a good drive I would happily get another, 3.2 Manuals pretty much the same but with slightly different Engine characteristics, R28 Boxes on the 3.0 Manuals, slightly Stronger R30 on the 3.2 both have 3.7 ratio Diff, both do what it says on the tin. Only slight downside is the Gear Stick throw is a bit wide on the Manuals, if its an issue for you, can easterly be sorted by fitted a Short Shift Stick and bending/angle it towards the Drivers side.

I'll be keeping both my 3.2 Manual Specials for a while yet.  ;)
« Last Edit: 08 December 2016, 05:26:58 by zirk »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2016, 09:26:06 »

Now I would have a manual every time because I like to enjoy my driving, a manual conversion is not that hard to do either and we have a guide on here.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2016, 09:56:21 »

Sorry, but to my mind, there's a lack of vision and drive to devolop your perfect Omega, and when you start, you'll regret not buying that Mercedes and will hate the Omega for reminding you... every time you look at it.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2016, 11:05:12 »

Just buy the bloody 3 pedal Merc .......

As Andy says, just buy the Merc, it ticks all the boxes and you`ve more chance of finding a unicorn than the Omega that you seek  :y

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 December 2016, 12:52:28 »

Sorry, but to my mind, there's a lack of vision and drive to devolop your perfect Omega, and when you start, you'll regret not buying that Mercedes and will hate the Omega for reminding you... every time you look at it.

What lack of drive and vision? Is passing on the Mercedes not having enough drive to get an Omega? Is being patient to find the right one not enough drive for you? You must have a really distorted view of what real drive is. And what lack of vision? I already said I am looking for a leather interior to fit so I don't need to find a car with it already. I'm pondering swapping transmissions too. So what lack of vision? Are you on again about engine swaps? Didn't you read my post above, which I basically wrote in so much detail because I just knew you would jump in again with the same old record about engine swap? If not that, please do tell Doctor, where is my lack of imagination and drive? I would love to know it.

And absolutely not! The Omega will not remind me that I regret not buying the Mercedes every time I look at it. To the contrary. Every time I look at the Omega I will be reminded why I didn't buy the Mercedes.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 December 2016, 12:59:53 »

What Mercedes? ???

Have I been asleep at the back of the class again? :-\

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 December 2016, 13:01:33 »

If you've got your heart set on a Manual, then buy one with a Manual, job done, converting a Auto to Manual can cause issues, apart from the work involved, you wont have to worry about having to change Diff ratios, ECU Mapping, Loom, Autobox Speed Sensors etc to get the car back to standard.

Ive driven and owned quiet a few Omegas now, mostly 3.0/3.2 both Auto and Manual, nothing wrong with Manuals if your not fussed about using the 3rd Pedal which would always be my preferred choice.

3.0 Manual are a good drive I would happily get another, 3.2 Manuals pretty much the same but with slightly different Engine characteristics, R28 Boxes on the 3.0 Manuals, slightly Stronger R30 on the 3.2 both have 3.7 ratio Diff, both do what it says on the tin. Only slight downside is the Gear Stick throw is a bit wide on the Manuals, if its an issue for you, can easterly be sorted by fitted a Short Shift Stick and bending/angle it towards the Drivers side.

I'll be keeping both my 3.2 Manual Specials for a while yet.  ;)

Thanks! At last a reply which actually addresses the topic at hand! :)

Of course I would prefer buying a manual already.  ;)

They are just thinner on the ground. Although not nearly impossible to find like in the UK. Like I said I already found 3. So I'm just trying to get a realistic assessment of what's involved in a gearbox swap so I can sort out my options.  ;)

Doing some reading I have found both, people saying it's a lot of trouble and others saying it's not. Like in this very thread. So I'm just collecting the info to make a decision.

Yep, I'm also not fussed about using the 3rd Pedal. I can multitask. I actually demand it. I would not have an auto one. Just my personal preference. So it's not even up for debate. You're very luck to have two 3.2 manuals. Keep them for life as they are a special breed indeed! :y

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.