Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Diesel anyone ??  (Read 3712 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Diesel anyone ??
« on: 10 December 2016, 11:39:08 »

Another nail in the coffin of the ship and truck fuel burners ??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38274792

Most telling statistic, IMHO, is .... (but statistics can be manipulated)

"According to the campaign, nearly 40% of all Nitrogen Oxides emissions and PM10 pollution, which is linked to decreased lung function, within London comes from diesel vehicles."

:-X :-X

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Diesel anyone ??
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2016, 12:28:32 »

Yep. Death by derv.

I really think the tide is turning. Barely a decade ago the 'dash for derv' was going to save the planet with a warm comforting blanket of low Co2 figures.........but now? ::) ::) ::)

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2016, 13:33:30 »

Yep. Death by derv.

I really think the tide is turning. Barely a decade ago the 'dash for derv' was going to save the planet with a warm comforting blanket of low Co2 figures.........but now? ::) ::) ::)

But surely that's a good idea....saves the gov a few pennies on pensions/etc  :y :D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2016, 13:46:37 »

Yep. Death by derv.

I agree, but I'm not sure where the solution is coming from for commercial vehicles.  :-\. No way we'd put the money into the infrastructure to put our distribution network back on the rail system and until then it's all road-base haulage.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2016, 16:33:30 »

The big problem is the fact most of the pollution probably comes from buses and Taxis, and afaik there is no short or medium term plan to do anything about them.
They will probably take draconian action against ordinary motorists, which wont solve the problem,but will generate lots of revenue, which is of course the important thing.
If they want to find really horrendous air quality in London they should take some samples from tube carriages during rush hour. If animals were transported in those conditions, those responsible would be behind bars.
Of course, solving that problem would cost money, rather generating it.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2016, 20:38:56 »

Have the tree hugging, lefty's worked out how all the goods in this country will be delivered.

Leave that thought with you.
Hoof'land storeman.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2016, 21:10:30 »

Have the tree hugging, lefty's worked out how all the goods in this country will be delivered.

Not only that, how will building materials get in? CrossRail? Cancel that can't use diesel to build it.

Rules on diesels being cleaner yes, but out right ban simply will not happen  :)

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 10 December 2016, 21:13:56 »

All goods will be left a yards on the city limits and thousands of Eastern European immigrants will carry them to their destination. Next question.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #8 on: 10 December 2016, 21:21:44 »

Next week it will be some other 'dangle berries'

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2016, 22:56:26 »

Not only that, how will building materials get in? CrossRail? Cancel that can't use diesel to build it.

Rules on diesels being cleaner yes, but out right ban simply will not happen  :)

Agreed. There simply isn't the appetite there to do it either. I mean, people screw around with it at the edges. A couple of p/l on fuel here, banning diesels from the city centre there. But no appetite for wholesale change.

I'd hesitate to say the Diesel engine will be around when I'm gone, but I'll bet it'll outlive a good few of the OOF membership ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 December 2016, 23:33:40 »

Never underestimate the stupidity of politicians.  ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 December 2016, 07:40:23 »

Never underestimate the stupidity of politicians.  ;)

Why limit that to politicians?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2016, 12:08:59 »

Agreed. There simply isn't the appetite there to do it either. I mean, people screw around with it at the edges. A couple of p/l on fuel here, banning diesels from the city centre there. But no appetite for wholesale change.

I'd hesitate to say the Diesel engine will be around when I'm gone, but I'll bet it'll outlive a good few of the OOF membership ;)

Should do. Surely STMO can't last much longer. :)

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2016, 12:41:05 »

Age, although a very good indicator of when we're likely to turn our toes up, is definitely not the be all and end all. One of wifey's friends lost her husband to a heart attack last week, at the ripe old age of 43.
So don't go writing me off just yet.....and watch your diet.  ;D

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 December 2016, 12:58:20 »

Age, although a very good indicator of when we're likely to turn our toes up, is definitely not the be all and end all. One of wifey's friends lost her husband to a heart attack last week, at the ripe old age of 43.
So don't go writing me off just yet.....and watch your diet;D

Was reading in the paper this morning, things like ... Cream, butter, cheese isn't bad for you after all..its actually good for you  ;) :)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.