Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Normal or an issue?  (Read 2649 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Normal or an issue?
« on: 10 December 2016, 16:27:47 »

Been and started the Elite today to warm it through,stop the battery going flat etc.While it was doing this I went to the back of it and noticed that the exhaust smoke was only coming out of the nearside tailpipe and none coming from it's twin.Putting my hand over the inner pipe showed there was very little exhaust coming from this,whilst it was good and strong from the outer pipe.Is this normal?Or does it indicate a fault of some kind with the exhaust pipe work?Other than this everything else was as normal,engine soon settled from it's cold start speed to a steady tickover of about 500rpm and it sat idling quite happily.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Normal or an issue?
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2016, 19:20:07 »

Might suggest that the back box is on its way out... rest of the system is sided :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2016, 20:53:04 »

Must admit I was a bit undecided as to whether it was the back box or further up the system.Is the backbox formed in such a way that each "inlet"pipe feeds its own "outlet" or is it more of a "communal" job where exhaust passes through and exits from whichever pipe happens to be "convenient?If that makes sense.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2016, 21:03:30 »

Could it be that one of the pipes has hair from the back box making a blockage. put a stick or wire up it to make sure its clear. When that hair starts coming loose there is a lot of it .Beware glass fibre that is an irritant.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2016, 22:10:25 »

Could it be that one of the pipes has hair from the back box making a blockage. put a stick or wire up it to make sure its clear. When that hair starts coming loose there is a lot of it .Beware glass fibre that is an irritant.
Tell me about it. ;)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 December 2016, 06:39:07 »

.Beware  some on here are irritating .

Fixed for fun :D
Hoof'land storeman.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2016, 11:11:38 »

There's always one isn't there? :P ;D ;D I did actually think of seeing if there was a blockage using a stick or something,and yes I did know that fibreglass can irritate ::),but thanks for the warning :y Can't really hurt much to try I suppose.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2016, 12:03:49 »

Must admit I was a bit undecided as to whether it was the back box or further up the system.Is the backbox formed in such a way that each "inlet"pipe feeds its own "outlet" or is it more of a "communal" job where exhaust passes through and exits from whichever pipe happens to be "convenient?If that makes sense.
Usually, it all enters one chamber, but with so many on the market, impossible to say.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 December 2016, 12:04:34 »

Been and started the Elite today to warm it through,stop the battery going flat etc.
That will do more harm than good. Use a battery charger instead
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 December 2016, 16:58:45 »

What harm TB? I do have a battery charger but removing/replacing the battery if/as/when the mood strikes me to go tinker with it[the garage is about quarter mile away]makes it something of a faff about,and there's no electric to the garage.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 December 2016, 21:17:56 »

Take the car out for a decent run, half hour minimum, and make sure everything properly warmed through. Then when done, put the car away and disconnect the battery negative terminal. This can be done with the car locked, pop the bonnet first, lock it, remove battery terminal. When you want to go out again, simply unlock with key... (takes some practice if not used to it as it always needs more of a turn than seems necessary... ) pop the bonnet, reconnect the terminal and job done :y

Saves the charging issues, gives the car a decent run and prevents the battery from going flat.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 December 2016, 01:31:26 »

Take the car out for a decent run, half hour minimum, and make sure everything properly warmed through. Then when done, put the car away and disconnect the battery negative terminal. This can be done with the car locked, pop the bonnet first, lock it, remove battery terminal. When you want to go out again, simply unlock with key... (takes some practice if not used to it as it always needs more of a turn than seems necessary... ) pop the bonnet, reconnect the terminal and job done :y

then re-program your stereo, all 4 windows and the sunroof ???  plus assumes you have no powersounder which would have gone off by the second line above ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 December 2016, 05:52:52 »

then re-program your stereo, all 4 windows and the sunroof ???  plus assumes you have no powersounder which would have gone off by the second line above ::)
None of which takes five minutes, considering that the powersounder ought to be in landfill ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 December 2016, 06:26:07 »

You could just use the car more often. Or fix the fault. The longest I've left mine was about 3weeks, and it was still on the button, although I wouldn't expect much more than that.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 December 2016, 07:44:03 »

Mot has run out and car on sorn,so taking it for a run not do-able.Really now waiting for the return of warmer weather to get it all fixed,but may be tempted to make a start on some of its issues sooner as long as it's not too cold re-mot'd and return it to the road.Power sounder not an issue I slung that years ago[after seeing posts/advice on here to do so.Just disconnecting earth lead sounds a good shout though,oddly enough drivers door lock works fine with no "pressure" needed to open the car.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.