Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 285/30/20 (99y)  (Read 1825 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 285/30/20 (99y)
« on: 02 September 2017, 12:09:05 »

I need two new rears and after checking around these newly developed Michelins seem to come top in almost every test.

Best wet grip. Best dry grip. Best wet and dry braking. Fastest around a track. Best for wear. Only small fly in the ointment is a noise rating of 73 DB which is not the best, but far from being the worst.

About £400 each at MRRP......best price I can find is £490 for two rears including balance and fitting.

Car currently has Dunlop Sportmaxx which are hopeless on anything other than a bone-dry hot sunny day. Utter crap. :-\

STEMO

Re: Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 285/30/20 (99y)
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2017, 12:54:10 »

£490 is more than most omegas are worth.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2017, 13:05:56 »

£490 is more than most omegas are worth.

Now I am faced with a dilemma.

Do I buy a nice new pair of tyres or do I buy a classic Vauxhall for £490?. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2017, 13:43:19 »

I used Pilot Sport 4 (235/45/17) on the arse of the Silver Bullet until its demise, and use Pilot Sport 4 (245/40/18) on the arse of TBE.

There do offer decent levels of grip in all conditions I've used them, over the life of the tyre.  I will buy them again for TBE.

You will still easily break traction on the XFR, due to the power you have available.

Kitty is still running on the Jag recommended SportMaxx GT Jaguar Fitment, and the back end is always breaking free, far too easily IMHO.  But they are at the end of their life, and SportMaxxs I've had before have drip that drops off a cliff when worn.  I want to try it on new SportMaxx to see what its like.  But PS4 would be my next choice to try, based on my experience with them on the Omegas.
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2017, 13:43:36 »

Thats not a bad price, I have been looking at some 275 and 245`s and the best price I found was around £800 for all four fitted.

I did have a look at Event Tyres who come to you and do them on your drive, they had some good reports from a couple of guys on the Nissan forum, not your average knuckle dragging tyre fitters, more enthusiasts.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2017, 13:48:06 »

To add to my previous post, I'd say the life of the PS4's matched that of the SportMaxx RT's, but with far more consistent grip over the life of the tyre. Subjectively, I'd suggest better overall grip as well.  The RT2's IMHO had less grip than the original RTs.  Your Jag will likely use GTs though, which is obviously different to the RTs.

Due to a couple of warm winters, no idea what they are like in snow and ice.

Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2017, 17:04:59 »

To add to my previous post, I'd say the life of the PS4's matched that of the SportMaxx RT's, but with far more consistent grip over the life of the tyre. Subjectively, I'd suggest better overall grip as well.  The RT2's IMHO had less grip than the original RTs.  Your Jag will likely use GTs though, which is obviously different to the RTs.

I'm confused about which Sportmaxx is best.

Mine are called Sportmaxx J.Nothing else.

Then there is Sportmaxx RT and RT2. :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2017, 17:15:45 »

I fitted these on the front of the VW, no experience of first gen but very happy with these so far. Far more grippy that Goodyear F1's they replaced, but of course again part worn. They are silent on a run, good grip wet/dry.

Being FWD only when seriously abused to they brake traction, although the kitty is far more powerful.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2017, 19:34:09 »

The RT2 replaced RT, but sadly the RT2 seem to be significantly inferior to the original RT. Based on that, I'd personally not bother with RT2, unless cost is the overriding factor.
Grumpy old man

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2017, 17:55:09 »

I seem to recall omega's  wearing mitchelins from the factory and my local dealer even put them on my corsa SRi but I found they didn't grip predictably in the wet, every car I've had since has had its boots replaced by Dunlops.
They seem quieter than michelins or conti's and I've found them consistente in handeling in all weathers, they said the best way to improve a vectra's handeling was to swap michelin nct 5's
Pmacca, living the dream since 1995

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2017, 20:28:13 »

Michelin PS4's are currently on the daily driver, personally I find them far superior in every respect to the previously fitted Maxx RT2's and RT's before that which are good but not great, the later RT2's being very poor from about 4.0m, so bad that you think the wishbone bushes have turned into sponge on an Omega.

Regarding noise levels, I've always found Dunlop's sportier tyres noisy on an Omega until the RT's and RT2's, The Michelin PS4's are on a par with the RT's for noise levels with the noise increasing slightly as they get past half worn.

« Last Edit: 03 September 2017, 20:30:03 by VXL V6 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2017, 17:30:05 »

I seem to recall omega's  wearing mitchelins from the factory and my local dealer even put them on my corsa SRi but I found they didn't grip predictably in the wet, every car I've had since has had its boots replaced by Dunlops.
They seem quieter than michelins or conti's and I've found them consistente in handeling in all weathers, they said the best way to improve a vectra's handeling was to swap michelin nct 5's
Many Omegas left factory with PS2 - a tyre with good grip initially, but not so great after the first couple of mm worn off.  PS4 are in a different league.  Dunlop do not make a comparable tyre in Omega sizes - the last great Omega tyre from Dunlop is the now very defunct SportMaxx TT.

How a FWD shitbox reacts to tyres is completely different to how a large RWD exec reacts.  Additionally, each chassis has things that make a certain tyre react better...

...for example, my old Rover 25 was probably the best handling FWD car I've ever driven, if you put it on Pirelli P6000's.  When they became obsolete, I tried all sorts, including the GY NCT5 you mention, all utter shite, understeered like a bastard. The best compromise - and I went through lots of options - was KU38 Kuhmos, which had pretty good levels of grip (enough to balance the car again), but no feedback, so you had no idea at what point they were going to kill you.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2017, 17:30:48 »

Michelin PS4's are currently on the daily driver, personally I find them far superior in every respect to the previously fitted Maxx RT2's and RT's before that which are good but not great, the later RT2's being very poor from about 4.0m, so bad that you think the wishbone bushes have turned into sponge on an Omega.
That matches my experience with Omegas :)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.