Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Audi A8  (Read 27251 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Audi A8
« Reply #135 on: 22 August 2018, 09:43:24 »

.... up close it becomes hard to ignore the fact that it's 7' tall ;D

and have you seen the size of the tyres rears especially? They look to be a fortune to replace?

and this is the wider issue, maintenance costs. I can run an old Luxo V6 barge cause I can DIY. The costs of things like brake discs and pads of Phil's Phaeton are eye watering and that's using a local indie garage.

I stuck new discs and pads on the 3.2 for sub £50, could be easily 7 times that for some other cars using dealers/garages.

Tyres as well, TB's Jaaaag are what £250 a corner? You could nearly get an entire set on an Omega for that if going mid-range.

Really is tough choice, something older more miles and more interesting, or something newer, less need for regular work but bit more boring.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 22 August 2018, 15:14:54 »

It also comes down to what you enjoy doing, I'm going through a phase of finding work on cars a real chore, this is the first time in my life its been this way, but if you do find it a chore, then there has to be some account made of the time you "pay yourself" for doing that work. Looking at it that way, the costs seem to level out considerably.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 22 August 2018, 17:07:47 »

However the 2.7 TDV6 in the Disco 3 is not as agricultural as you might think, and although I havn't driven one, I expect the 3.0 SDV6 in the Disco 4 is even smoother!  :y
I got to "borrow" a Disco 3 TDV6 when they first came out, complete with the Ford/Pug 2.7 V6 diesel.  A very nice car indeed, but thirsty when thrashed like all company cars should be...  ...I think I was getting about 20mpg on average, but that was foot flat to the floor everywhere.  A decent diesel lump in its time...

...replaced by JLR (and Pug, and Ford) by the related but more refined, more powerful 3.0l V6 available in 235, 275 and 300bhp forms.  The 275bhp variant is what is in the big Pussy.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 22 August 2018, 17:13:45 »

and this is the wider issue, maintenance costs. I can run an old Luxo V6 barge cause I can DIY. The costs of things like brake discs and pads of Phil's Phaeton are eye watering and that's using a local indie garage.
Contrary to popular belief, Phaeton parts are also available at many factors, so DIY is possible.  And, despite what is said on Jag forums, so are XJ parts.

Tyres as well, TB's Jaaaag are what £250 a corner? You could nearly get an entire set on an Omega for that if going mid-range.
Obviously I go for premium tyres. So £233 for the 275/35/20 rears and £200 for the 245/40/20 fronts. Those sorts of sizes are never cheap, even for budgets.

That said, I've paid £175 a corner on TBE before, and all 4 at the same time :o.  Shame they were utter shite (Conti SC5), and the fronts were destroyed in 3k, and the rears gone in 6k.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 22 August 2018, 17:18:49 »

....... I've paid £175 a corner on TBE before, and all 4 at the same time :o.  Shame they were utter shite (Conti SC5), and the fronts were destroyed in 3k, and the rears gone in 6k.

And I'm pissed off that I've wrecked a £60 tyre on my Mondeo that's only done 5000 miles and still has 6mm of tread!  >:(  :D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 22 August 2018, 17:26:45 »

Contrary to popular belief, Phaeton parts are also available at many factors, so DIY is possible. And, despite what is said on Jag forums, so are XJ parts.

[/quote

Obviously I go for premium tyres. So £233 for the 275/35/20 rears and £200 for the 245/40/20 fronts. Those sorts of sizes are never cheap, even for budgets.

That said, I've paid £175 a corner on TBE before, and all 4 at the same time :o.  Shame they were utter shite (Conti SC5), and the fronts were destroyed in 3k, and the rears gone in 6k.

Jag forums are as dreary as f*uck.

I've been banned twice from Jag Info. They can stick their forum up their arse. 8)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 22 August 2018, 17:29:54 »

There is a clever Ruski/East European on Jag Info and the US oriented jaguarforums that almost makes them bearable.  I was hoping he'd get me some info on the IAM units, but he seems unwilling...

...then I remembered where one of our nice Admins worked, so badgered him instead :D
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 22 August 2018, 17:36:05 »

There is a clever Ruski/East European on Jag Info and the US oriented jaguarforums that almost makes them bearable.  I was hoping he'd get me some info on the IAM units, but he seems unwilling...

...then I remembered where one of our nice Admins worked, so badgered him instead :D

Jagchat looks slightly more interesting but it contains some of the politically correct dullards from Jag Info so I'm not sure I'd last very long.

All things being equal I prefer to come on here to be insulted. :)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 22 August 2018, 17:36:36 »

Have you considered a big pickup with the crew cab option? Walked past local Mitsubishi stealers this morning and they had some beast or other that said it had a 3 1/2 ton towing capacity. Should be ok for a pikey wagon. ???

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 22 August 2018, 17:41:49 »

Have you considered a big pickup with the crew cab option? Walked past local Mitsubishi stealers this morning and they had some beast or other that said it had a 3 1/2 ton towing capacity. Should be ok for a pikey wagon. ???

That is one hell of a lot of tins of hot dog sausages in brine. :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 22 August 2018, 19:28:22 »

It also comes down to what you enjoy doing, I'm going through a phase of finding work on cars a real chore, this is the first time in my life its been this way, but if you do find it a chore, then there has to be some account made of the time you "pay yourself" for doing that work. Looking at it that way, the costs seem to level out considerably.

Likewise  ..... which is why I've just paid someone else to replace a sticking calipers for me. My Omega & previous cars would've had new calipers seals.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 22 August 2018, 20:35:27 »

I bet though it would not meet Mr Entwood's objective of being heavier than what he wants to tow though, he wants something heavy and suspect UK pickup's would not fit the bill.

STEMO

« Reply #147 on: 22 August 2018, 21:02:00 »

The problem is easily solved. Buy a standard motor car with a large power output engine, then liberally sprinkle bags of cement/lead ingots throughout aforementioned motor.

Next.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 22 August 2018, 22:12:02 »

The problem is easily solved. Buy a standard motor car with a large power output engine, then liberally sprinkle bags of cement/lead ingots throughout aforementioned motor.

Next.

Alternatively, I wonder if Nige has considered an Audi A8?  :D  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 22 August 2018, 22:15:03 »

I bet though it would not meet Mr Entwood's objective of being heavier than what he wants to tow though, he wants something heavy and suspect UK pickup's would not fit the bill.

Sure he,s not looking for a unicorn :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.