Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caustic Soda  (Read 1645 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Caustic Soda
« on: 06 December 2023, 10:54:16 »

There was a thread not so long ago regards removing oil from a drive. (I searched but could not find it)

So today I came accros some Caustic Soda in a container looking a bit worse for wear.  I was going to dump it but decided to look up its uses.  (we used to use it a lot at work (Food Factory) with boiling water to clean the concrete floors.

So Googled it.

CLEANING & SANITIZING (dustbins, kennels, stables, driveways etc) Add 1-2 tablespoons of Caustic Soda per 5 litres of water. Scrub soiled area with solution, then wash down thoroughly with water. Removes oil and soot. PAINT STRIPPING Add 250g Caustic Soda to 1 litre of cold water.

https://www.google.com/search?q=caustic+soda+how+to+use&client=firefox-b-d&sca_esv=588338046&sxsrf=AM9HkKnFMvwucztPBR4eEdbcNUPM3vHlOg%3A1701859241237&ei=qU9wZfP5DaiqhbIPhd-0wAU&ved=0ahUKEwiz8p_cz_qCAxUoVUEAHYUvDVgQ4dUDCBE&uact=5&oq=caustic+soda+how+to+use&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiF2NhdXN0aWMgc29kYSBob3cgdG8gdXNlMgsQABiABBiKBRiRAjIGEAAYFhgeMgYQABgWGB4yBhAAGBYYHjIGEAAYFhgeMgYQABgWGB4yBhAAGBYYHjIGEAAYFhgeMgYQABgWGB4yBhAAGBYYHkiUWlCxDljlVHABeAGQAQCYAVegAfkFqgECMTC4AQPIAQD4AQHCAgoQABhHGNYEGLADwgINEAAYgAQYigUYQxiwA8ICBRAAGIAEwgIIEAAYFhgeGAriAwQYACBBiAYBkAYK&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

Sorry if it was mentioned in the OP but the bit about the paint stipping was also  interesting.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2023, 10:55:50 by Mr Skrunts »
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Caustic Soda
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2023, 10:58:53 »

our cleaners use caustic too for cleaning through pipework & sauce filler bowls etc ..... all contained system (apart from where it leaks!  ::))

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2023, 11:13:24 »

our cleaners use caustic too for cleaning through pipework & sauce filler bowls etc ..... all contained system (apart from where it leaks!  ::))
Be trouble if that made it into the beanz
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2023, 11:25:45 »

I used to use caustic soda to clean the exhaust baffles on my Two Stroke Moto X bike. Obviously I’d remove the baffles from the exhaust first.  :y
Just don’t use it to dip Aluminium in, unless you want to dissolve the Aluminium.  ::)  ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2023, 12:26:29 »

I used to use caustic soda to clean the exhaust baffles on my Two Stroke Moto X bike. Obviously I’d remove the baffles from the exhaust first.  :y
Just don’t use it to dip Aluminium in, unless you want to dissolve the Aluminium.  ::)  ;D

Ditto. The exhaust would get quite hot. I'd also stick the end of the 'zorst' into a big spud to stop the contents coming out. :)

Seemed a good idea at the time. :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2023, 13:30:32 »

Does anyone remember Harpic toilet cleaner ?
It contains caustic soda. When I was about 6 years old I chugged down a whole bottle of the stuff, apparently because I thought it was similar to that sherbet stuff.
Anyway, up the hospital, tube down into stomach to pump it out. I didnt like that idea much so sunk my teeth into the tube.
Nurse slapped me hard round the chops, and when I opened my mouth to cry she shoved something in to stop me closing it again.  ;D
About 6 months later, I took a liking to Windolene and downed a bottle of that. so, up to the hospital etc. etc........... ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2023, 13:47:37 »

When I worked at Hall's sweets I was after a big tub to soak something or other in caustic, we had a load of plastic tubs but I could only find an ally tub so used that.  ::) I filled the workshop with acrid fumes!  :-[

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2023, 15:05:30 »

When I worked at Hall's sweets I was after a big tub to soak something or other in caustic, we had a load of plastic tubs but I could only find an ally tub so used that.  ::) I filled the workshop with acrid fumes!  :-[

;D

One of the chaps I did my apprenticeship with came up to me one day and told me he'd put his exhaust in the caustic tank to clean it. I said "I thought you had ally tips on your pipes. He said "Oh shit" and ran to the caustic room. It was too late, the strong concentration caustic had eaten his exhaust tips.  ;D
The MOD place where I worked had a anodising tank which was great for making ally motorcycle parts look bling. I had coloured anodised foot pegs and levers years before trick bits came out.   ;D  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2023, 15:11:16 »

It contains caustic soda. When I was about 6 years old I chugged down a whole bottle of the stuff, apparently because I thought it was similar to that sherbet stuff.
Anyway, up the hospital, tube down into stomach to pump it out. I didnt like that idea much so sunk my teeth into the tube.
Nurse slapped me hard round the chops, and when I opened my mouth to cry she shoved something in to stop me closing it again.  ;D
About 6 months later, I took a liking to Windolene and downed a bottle of that. so, up to the hospital etc. etc........... ;D
I used to get called Harpic. Folk reckoned I was clean round the bend.
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 December 2023, 16:48:55 »

It contains caustic soda. When I was about 6 years old I chugged down a whole bottle of the stuff,
apparently because I thought it was similar to that sherbet stuff.

So you swallowed poison not once....but twice. ::) ::) ::) ::) :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 December 2023, 17:26:19 »

At least twice, yes. Also countless accidents that needed a quick trip to A&E. My old Mum reckoned they would soon name it after me as a tribute for the most regular customer.  ;D
Used to count up the stitches I had over the years, but lost count somewhere when it got well past 100.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 December 2023, 17:54:45 »

The old boys at work said caustic soda brings up the bones nice and white
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.