Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Schools shut?  (Read 1841 times)

maria

• Omega Baron
  • Derbyshire
  • I'm proud to be welsh :)
    • View Profile
Re: Schools shut?
« Reply #15 on: 29 November 2010, 12:13:45 »

I use to walk 3 miles to and from school in all weathers  and I think they have far more public holidays than we ever did when i was at school let alone having day/s off for a bit of snow  :(

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 November 2010, 12:29:25 »

I can remember 1947

Still struggling with last year's OOF christmas party though?  ;)

Kevin

I suppose you think that's funny >:(

;) ;D
I like red cars

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 November 2010, 13:29:48 »

We will have a whole generation who are a waste of space if we're not careful.

Kevin

You mean even more so than the breakless mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging droogs that abound at the moment?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 November 2010, 13:35:50 »

Kevin

You mean even more so than the breakless mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging droogs that abound at the moment?

A valid point. ::)

Problem is, IMHO, we're teaching people from an early age that it's Ok to down tools and sit on your thumbs as soon as the slightest resistance is met. >:(

I suppose you think that's funny  >:(

No, a genuine question, in the hope that you might be able to help me. ;) I don't know what malt-based potions Hotel21 was distributing but they've done for my memory. ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 November 2010, 14:02:06 »

When I was at school, even if there were hardly any staff in attendance something useful was done. They may have sent home some kids if their parents were home but for those where both parents worked, the staff recognised that they had a duty to care for them until the normal end of the school day. There was no question of demanding their parents down tools and collect them.

It's just an excuse for a day off for the staff now, not to mention 'elf and safedee not wanting to take any responsibility for little johnny getting a snowball in his face in the playground.

Kevin
Too late.

Our school had the most unreliable boiler ever made (or maybe it was reliable in the 19th century  :-/), but that was OK, we had coats.  When we went up to secondary school, we were in terrapins, with their crappy heater that never worked.  Oh well, coats again.

Up to the age of 11, I used to mainly get lifts in, or cycle, as school was 5 miles away. Think I only walked a couple of times (excluding punctures etc when I cycled). But from secondary school (about 1.5 - 2m), walked/cycled every time.

In all my days at school, we never, ever had a closure. Nor a "Teacher skiving Training Day". We had a couple of months when we couldn't use the science block (after we had a mishap in a fume cupboard, got the sequence wrong making Salt Gas iirc  :-[, but only 1 had to go in an ambulance), but were still taught as best we could in a an unsuitable classroom until the builders had fixed the classroom we blew up.

Last winter I had to nip over to Reading to build a couple of servers during that heavy snow.  I made a realistic call on what the road conditions were like, and off I went. Only to get non-stop phone calls all the way from colleagues and managers about how I must turn around and abandon it.  These people fully represent the generation we have bred.  I was 39yrs old, I'm big enough and ugly enough to make a sensible call on what is and is not possible, and what is and is not safe. So I turned the phone off, and continued on ::)
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 November 2010, 14:34:46 »

Science block out of use for months? Fair play. Must have been a good "experiment". :y  ;D

Best we managed was destruction by fire of the year's mark book for Chemistry (not a bad move, considering the marks) and the rather myopic teacher's long focus glasses (not a good move). I can still remember his turd brown Rover 2200 P6 weaving up the road on his way home. ::)

I know there was nothing wrong with the boiler at our school. Certainly not judging by the fumes at the top of the stack on the day I climbed 4 storeys up the flue shaft onto the roof to find a location for my radio aerial (with full(ish) permission of the teacher responsible). ;D

All these experiences are lacking from education these days. :(

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 November 2010, 17:48:19 »

My two youngest were off school today,no buses running because the roads were so bad,no footpaths cleaned so they would have had hundreds of kids walking along a snow covered road sharing with cars ,lorries,sliding all over the road ,real recipe for disaster,so in all honesty a good call from the school.

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 November 2010, 18:29:32 »

To my surprise, my kids were in school today, it usually closes after 10 minutes of snow (I'm not exaggerating) - but the kids weren't allowed to play outside because there was snow and ice about.  ::) ::)

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #23 on: 29 November 2010, 18:51:00 »

I must say that I well remember missing school for a couple of days in 1964/65 when our bus only just got outside Haslemere in Surrey, on its way to our school in Midhurst, after getting stuck in a foot of snow.  How we celebrated as we walked through the snow to our homes! :D :D :D :D

In addition I also remember being told we could not use the playground because of ice on a number of occasions in 1958/9. :'( :'(  The boys loved making long stretches extra icy by sliding repeatedly along its length before getting pulled away by the teachers and everyone getting hauled inside!

No, even in those days, schools were cautious about operating in bad conditions, and sometimes it would result in being sent home early, which I remember in certainly 1967/68 whilst at an Eastbourne school.  Howver, I cannot remember one of my schools being closed at the beginning of the day just because of a bit of heavy snow ::) ::)  I think they tended to decide to "wait and see what happened" first 8-) 8-)
« Last Edit: 29 November 2010, 18:51:46 by Lizzie_Zoom »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 November 2010, 19:21:57 »

I must say that I well remember missing school for a couple of days in 1964/65 when our bus only just got outside Haslemere in Surrey, on its way to our school in Midhurst, after getting stuck in a foot of snow.  How we celebrated as we walked through the snow to our homes! :D :D :D :D

In addition I also remember being told we could not use the playground because of ice on a number of occasions in 1958/9. :'( :'(  The boys loved making long stretches extra icy by sliding repeatedly along its length before getting pulled away by the teachers and everyone getting hauled inside!

No, even in those days, schools were cautious about operating in bad conditions, and sometimes it would result in being sent home early, which I remember in certainly 1967/68 whilst at an Eastbourne school.  Howver, I cannot remember one of my schools being closed at the beginning of the day just because of a bit of heavy snow ::) ::)  I think they tended to decide to "wait and see what happened" first 8-) 8-)
Lizzie, none of that can't possibly be true, because this is all caused by Global Warming, sorry, err, whats the new name? Ah, yes, Climate Change.

The media tell us this is the worse snow ever to hit the world, thus proving the Global Warming, sorry, Climate Change, theory.

Therefore, unless the BBC talks 'dangle berries', you are lying...  ...and we know the media are honest and truthful...
Grumpy old man

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #25 on: 29 November 2010, 19:34:09 »

Lizzie, none of that can't possibly be true, because this is all caused by Global Warming, sorry, err, whats the new name? Ah, yes, Climate Change.

The media tell us this is the worse snow ever to hit the world, thus proving the Global Warming, sorry, Climate Change, theory.

Therefore, unless the BBC talks 'dangle berries', you are lying...  ...and we know the media are honest and truthful...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :y

.............and yes they were all lying about the Thames repeatedly freezing over during the period from the 1500s through to the 1800s.  It was just an illusion really ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 November 2010, 20:01:31 »

And I remember the channel ports all freezing over as well....
Grumpy old man

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #27 on: 29 November 2010, 20:09:42 »

And I remember the channel ports all freezing over as well....

Indeed, and I once skated to France TB! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 November 2010, 21:50:43 »

swmbo is happy, she has just had a phone call, her school is closed tomorrow...... :D :D

Not sure about Miss Vamps yet.....

I took a while to decide today before deciding to go in a little later... and came home early.....see what tomorrow brings, though I have to take a days holiday or unpaid leave....

aaronjb

« Reply #29 on: 29 November 2010, 22:08:17 »

swmbo is happy, she has just had a phone call, her school is closed tomorrow...... :D :D

I really hope your swmbo is a teacher.. otherwise... way to go man! ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.