Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Schools shut?  (Read 1842 times)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Re: Schools shut?
« Reply #30 on: 29 November 2010, 22:22:27 »

swmbo is happy, she has just had a phone call, her school is closed tomorrow...... :D :D

I really hope your swmbo is a teacher.. otherwise... way to go man! ;D

Cover supervisor; there is always someone with a mucky mind...... :D :D :D

aaronjb

« Reply #31 on: 29 November 2010, 22:28:01 »

Aaaand that person is usually me  :-[ :-[ :-[ ;D

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 29 November 2010, 22:46:42 »

I must say that I well remember missing school for a couple of days in 1964/65 when our bus only just got outside Haslemere in Surrey, on its way to our school in Midhurst, after getting stuck in a foot of snow.  How we celebrated as we walked through the snow to our homes! :D :D :D :D

In addition I also remember being told we could not use the playground because of ice on a number of occasions in 1958/9. :'( :'(  The boys loved making long stretches extra icy by sliding repeatedly along its length before getting pulled away by the teachers and everyone getting hauled inside!

No, even in those days, schools were cautious about operating in bad conditions, and sometimes it would result in being sent home early, which I remember in certainly 1967/68 whilst at an Eastbourne school.  Howver, I cannot remember one of my schools being closed at the beginning of the day just because of a bit of heavy snow ::) ::)  I think they tended to decide to "wait and see what happened" first 8-) 8-)
Yup. Us boys would find & "improve on" the slidiest? part of the playground in our little village school in W.Sx. & we were allowed to do so in the early 70's. We were in shorts, no silly knee or elbow pads, helmets or the like, 8 years old & the only thing i objected too was wearing a coat 'cos they were gay even then.
   Would'nt try sliding around like that today though, i'd do myself a mischief.
   We should let kids be kids & learn by the knocks & bumps. Does'nt make us bad parents. :y

Curry makes the world go round!

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 30 November 2010, 08:38:34 »

How come the kids can't get to school, yet can trudge to the nearest hill, so that they can toboggan?
I like red cars

Welung666

« Reply #34 on: 30 November 2010, 10:56:44 »

Well we've had a whole inch of snow overnight and the phone was going at work at 5:50am and parents on the other end asking if the school was closed!!!! What are these people on???

aaronjb

« Reply #35 on: 30 November 2010, 11:09:37 »

Well we've had a whole inch of snow overnight and the phone was going at work at 5:50am and parents on the other end asking if the school was closed!!!! What are these people on???

They're on Planet Soft..

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30 November 2010, 20:00:17 »

How come the kids can't get to school, yet can trudge to the nearest hill, so that they can toboggan?
Precisely. AA. Did you have a cheeky toboggan just for nostalgias sake?...Did the kids even get a go?!! ::)
Curry makes the world go round!

SJKOO01

« Reply #37 on: 30 November 2010, 20:16:08 »

UK = OMG snow what are we going to do  :o

Sweden = And..... :-? ::)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30 November 2010, 22:23:08 »

I must say that I well remember missing school for a couple of days in 1964/65 when our bus only just got outside Haslemere in Surrey, on its way to our school in Midhurst, after getting stuck in a foot of snow.  How we celebrated as we walked through the snow to our homes! :D :D :D :D

In addition I also remember being told we could not use the playground because of ice on a number of occasions in 1958/9. :'( :'(  The boys loved making long stretches extra icy by sliding repeatedly along its length before getting pulled away by the teachers and everyone getting hauled inside!

No, even in those days, schools were cautious about operating in bad conditions, and sometimes it would result in being sent home early, which I remember in certainly 1967/68 whilst at an Eastbourne school.  Howver, I cannot remember one of my schools being closed at the beginning of the day just because of a bit of heavy snow ::) ::)  I think they tended to decide to "wait and see what happened" first 8-) 8-)
Yup. Us boys would find & "improve on" the slidiest? part of the playground in our little village school in W.Sx. & we were allowed to do so in the early 70's. We were in shorts, no silly knee or elbow pads, helmets or the like, 8 years old & the only thing i objected too was wearing a coat 'cos they were gay even then.
   Would'nt try sliding around like that today though, i'd do myself a mischief.
   We should let kids be kids & learn by the knocks & bumps. Does'nt make us bad parents. :y

Quite right Guy, in the late 80's and through to mid 90's I worked in a residential Junior school; when it was cold enough we put water down, in a particular area to make a slide...only difference was we let the girls have a go....... :y :y
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.