Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Used/Refurbished Winter Tyres  (Read 1533 times)

zYx

• Kent
  • Member of Mayday
    • Black 3.2
    • View Profile
    • Grischke Solutions
Used/Refurbished Winter Tyres
« on: 02 December 2010, 00:26:48 »

Hi everybody,

does any1 know if I can get used and/or refurbished winter tires somewhere in south-east and off course get them fitted? or perhaps "mobile" fitting service that offer partly used tires. :question

Since the weather is like it is I'm looking into changing my tires into winter ones for the time being. I'm trying to avoid buying brand spanking new tires as they're not cheap. I need this size 235/45/17.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
Re: Used/Refurbished Winter Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2010, 00:30:19 »

Few places on ebay that will sell part worn tyres and deliver them, just find a local tyre place to have them fitted. Although i think you'll find prices have gone up a fair bit in the last couple of days >:(
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2010, 00:31:03 »

Started this thread earlier today.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1291210383

Found all sorts of sizes available on ebay and have been looking at snow chains since then.

Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2010, 00:32:08 »

PS matey, can you resize your avatar pic as it overlaps the writting on firefox (browser)  cheers matey   :y :y

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

zYx

• Kent
  • Member of Mayday
    • Black 3.2
    • View Profile
    • Grischke Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2010, 00:39:36 »

I contacted one seller on ebay about a set of 4 235/45/17 tires and he says these are the ones they don't have...

I want the same size as my current tires as I'm planning a long journey very soon. If it was local I wouldn't be bothered..

I visited few sites, but finding what I want seems a bit difficult... winter tires don't seem very common here in uk  :(

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2010, 00:44:02 »

Very true, they dont stock up because roads are not usually this bad.

I expected this sort of snow fall last year and all that changed was it snowed before christmas, all though still not as bad as the surrent snow it still caught 1000's out.

Have you considered getting a set of spare rims to put tyres on?

zYx

• Kent
  • Member of Mayday
    • Black 3.2
    • View Profile
    • Grischke Solutions
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2010, 00:50:36 »

Very true, they dont stock up because roads are not usually this bad.

I expected this sort of snow fall last year and all that changed was it snowed before christmas, all though still not as bad as the surrent snow it still caught 1000's out.

Have you considered getting a set of spare rims to put tyres on?
No, I haven't got room for extra rims, but I need new summer tyres so I will be changing tyres again in spring anyway. Also I like my alloys ;P I know that salt is not good for them, but I'm looking after them ;p

Oh, and what is it like driving omega with chains? Any1 tried that? :D
« Last Edit: 02 December 2010, 00:52:19 by zYx »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2010, 09:10:23 »

235 is wrong size for snow tires.. :-/

go for max 215.. :y

zYx

• Kent
  • Member of Mayday
    • Black 3.2
    • View Profile
    • Grischke Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2010, 12:10:19 »

Why is it wrong?

Following this tire calculator I want to keep the same ratio etc.. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2010, 12:12:42 »

Why is it wrong?

Following this tire calculator I want to keep the same ratio etc.. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

It may be right for your wheels, but you really want as narrow a tyre as you can get away with in the snow to 'cut through' it rather than 'float' on top of it (unless you're driving across arctic tundra where 'cutting through' means dropping through several metres of the stuff ;)).

As an extreme example - that's why rally cars run huge wide tyres on tarmac and really skinny tyres on snow :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2010, 12:25:16 »

Why is it wrong?

It may be right for your wheels, but you really want as narrow a tyre as you can get away with in the snow to 'cut through' it rather than 'float' on top of it (unless you're driving across arctic tundra where 'cutting through' means dropping through several metres of the stuff ;)).

As an extreme example - that's why rally cars run huge wide tyres on tarmac and really skinny tyres on snow :)

:y :y

zYx

• Kent
  • Member of Mayday
    • Black 3.2
    • View Profile
    • Grischke Solutions
« Reply #11 on: 02 December 2010, 12:30:03 »

Why is it wrong?

Understandable, but what if I'm only planning to drive on the snow for little distances and the actual journey will take place on eu/german motorways?

I found a set of 4 tires for £280 on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170565675494&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #12 on: 02 December 2010, 12:34:07 »

Why is it wrong?

Understandable, but what if I'm only planning to drive on the snow for little distances and the actual journey will take place on eu/german motorways?

I found a set of 4 tires for £280 on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170565675494&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

may surprise you but, for winter I'm using 195/65 15 size which I have no problem either on dry or snow..

so 235 is meaningless unless you are racing :)

skyblue

• Omega Knight
  • Bracknell
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 December 2010, 12:39:55 »

Cant see the point in changing them myself......... all you need to do is drive with a bit more care to ensure you arrive at your destination or leave the car in the garage ( thats if you are posh of course) and not drivew for a couple of days
Caravaners  can only go as fast as the rest of the  other road users... so deal with it

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 December 2010, 12:48:22 »

Why is it wrong?

You will probably fubar them on the motorways, snow tyres are only soft and are designed to be cooled in the snow, hence no good for motorways, motorways high speeds could detroy they in 50 miles.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.