Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre life expentency  (Read 5932 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Tyre life expentency
« on: 02 June 2007, 18:55:53 »

I've just bought 2 x brand new Avon ZZ3 tyres for the back of my Elite - 225/55/R16 W

The fitter told me that they will only last between 7-11,000 miles at most, because they are low profile. That means I will have to replace them in 7 months!!!

I can't believe this, somehow.

In your experience, what life should I get out of these tyres, driving normally with correct alignment?

STMO123

Re: Tyre life expentency
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2007, 19:03:50 »

225/55/16 are not low profile! These idiots get worse. Driving normally I woulld expect anything from 15 to 18 thousand miles, maybe more.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2007, 19:04:00 »

Hi james, i run the same tyres as you elite, and it does depend on your style of driving. I have a set on the back and have done28000 miles and have 2.5mm left so  expect to see 32.000miles.front tyres about  15-20,000 if your geomatory is bang on.I have pilot primacys all round and have a set of pirelli p7's to go on when needed. :) :y
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2007, 19:07:50 »

although it was a lighter car with front wheel drive, i got 18,000 miles out of my nankangs on my corsa, and they were 17" low profiles

STMO123

« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2007, 19:09:05 »

Just a quick one on tyres.

The first measurement, in your case James, 225, is the distance across the tread in mm.

The second measurement, 55, is the distance from the wheel rim to the tread expressed as a percentage of the tread width. So, 55% of 225 is 124mm.

The third measurement is, obviously, the diameter of the road wheel. (In inches, for some reason)

The lower the second measurement, the lower the profile.
« Last Edit: 02 June 2007, 19:11:10 by STMO123 »

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2007, 19:15:22 »

Tyre life is also dependent on the quality of the tyre that you buy,with avon you should get resonable life from those.Buy budget= poor tyre life and  grip in the wet stuff.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

STMO123

« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2007, 19:17:21 »

Tyre life is also dependent on the quality of the tyre that you buy,with avon you should get resonable life from those.Buy budget= poor tyre life and  grip in the wet stuff.

To a certain extent. Some of the Korean budget tyres are quite good. ;)

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2007, 19:21:27 »

You wont see me risking my motor on budget rubber in the rain or any kind of weather , that our wonderfull land throws at us. :o
Jaguar XJ6

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2007, 19:24:19 »

You wont see me risking my motor on budget rubber in the rain or any kind of weather , that our wonderfull land throws at us. :o

I've been really pleased with some budget tyres in the past :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2007, 19:49:24 »

I've been through quite a few sets of Avons in the past (but not on an Omega) and they seem to be a good compromise. Reasonable grip and good lifetime. I think you'd have to be going some to kill a set in 7,000 miles :o

Was checking my tyres today and the Dunlop Sp2000 235/45/17s that I put on the front 7,000 miles ago are down to at least 6 mm all over. Tyres are about 8mm when new so there's a reasonable amount of life left in them yet  :y

I know a few of the budget brands are good tyres but when they reel off the names of the tyres at the counter I can never remember what I've heard about them.. so I go for a brand I have heard of. Must do my research next time.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2007, 20:14:20 »

Got Goodyear Eagle Ventura's on the 2.2, where on it when i bought it 2 years ago.

Done 20k on them, and the fronts still have 8mm on them, rears have 6mm. Don't care what people say about the grip, i have taken the turn from the M40 to the M25 Clockwise at 90 in them, as far as i am concerned thats enough for me  :y

Dad has Dunlop SP sports of some sort on his, they have lasted 50k, and 4 years.... and are still going!

Btw just had 2 x Dunlop SP300's fitted on the Senny, 205/65/15 @ £61 fitted a corner  :y

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2007, 20:15:50 »

Same size as mine - just replaced the rears today at around 15000 since buying and no idea how long they were on before I bought the car

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2007, 20:17:46 »

40K+ Mitchelins.
I like red cars

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2007, 20:20:41 »

40K+ Mitchelins.

I am on target for 40+K out of the Goodyears, thats if i do not sell the 2.2  ::)

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 June 2007, 22:03:29 »

i have been using Khomos on my miggy, people will run them down for being buget, but they are good value and offer excellent grip in the wet or dry, they don't make a lot of noise.........

I get about 15,000 miles out of mine, i have got through 2 sets in the last year, most of the 30,000 has been A roads or motorways....

i can get a complete set for £280 which i don't think is too bad
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 18 queries.