Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: megga oil leak  (Read 1006 times)

RobC_NE

• North East
  • IMI and VSIB Qualified Auto Electrician
    • View Profile
megga oil leak
« on: 27 February 2007, 20:56:26 »

found an omega thats ideal for what i need, but the seller says "it has a nasty oil leak, was told it was coming from the right hand rocker gasket, but having replaced that it obviously wasn`t, nothing much to say really, not sure if it may be coming from the left hand rocker gasket, as it smokes under the bonnet when warm, suggesting it is leaking onto the manifold"

any ideas what it could be?

thanks guys.
Saxo, corsa, clit drivers. Before starting on a journey, attach a lit sparkler to the antenna of your car. you drive the thigs like dodgems. for the love of god MAKE IT LOOK THE PART!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: megga oil leak
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2007, 21:44:35 »

how much oil is leaking? smoke coming from where?  You can use a torch at night to pinpoint which side the oil smoke is coming from.  Are your spark plugs swimming in oil?  Have you checked your rocker covers for cracks.  Thw worse case scenario is that your head gasket is leaking oil out of the engine.  I had this on a 405 and it was very difficult to diagnose as the point where it blew was under the cam belt covers.

Did you clean the breathers when you changed the gasket otherwise it was all for nothing as blocked breathers cause the gaskets to pop.  Look in the maintenance guides for help on doing this.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2007, 21:57:34 »

If it is a bad leak it is very likely to be either a case of using cr*p rocker gaskets or quite possibly the rocker cover is cracked/broken.

Easy enough to sort and would make a good negotiating point. :)

Always remember though, clean breathers and throttle bodies or it all becomes pointless very quickly.
The Administrator.

RobC_NE

• North East
  • IMI and VSIB Qualified Auto Electrician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2007, 00:46:42 »

mrgaffney, would have thought if the head gasket was leaking oil wouldnt there be an increase in temp? according to the owner there is no signs of this. as for the smoke, it would appear its dropping down onto the ex manifold and so burning off creating the smoke.

how much would you say i should pay for it. N reg GLS estate, dec test, 2.5 V6 auto. 115k. overall quite tidy, few scrapes here and there....

was only really lookin at spendin' a couple of hundred quid, then if the worst comes to the worst i could make most of it back weighing it in  :-[

your thoughts?
Saxo, corsa, clit drivers. Before starting on a journey, attach a lit sparkler to the antenna of your car. you drive the thigs like dodgems. for the love of god MAKE IT LOOK THE PART!

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2007, 08:03:52 »

Estates have more value but I would be reluctant to spend more than £250 personally.
The Administrator.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2007, 10:38:33 »

Not necessarily, an external oil leak from the head gasket can be anything from major(v noticable) to slight (yet just as much as a leaking rocker gasket)  It is very feasable that oil from here could drop onto the exhuast, it all depends where the leak would be.

All in all though I doubt it is the head gasket but just a thought.  Give the sides of the cyl head a wipe, record the dip stick level, go for a short drive, then see where it comes out of, then recheck dipstick to see how much it is losing per mile.  Also check the HT leads, it they are swimming in oil it is defo the rocker gaskets.

Gaffers   8-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.