Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1996 CDX 2.5 V6 ECU Reset / Resonator  (Read 973 times)

SonicMarmalade

• View Profile
1996 CDX 2.5 V6 ECU Reset / Resonator
« on: 24 February 2007, 13:35:52 »

I fitted a pipercross induction kit, and one of my housemates said that when he did the same to his car, he got big benefits by resetting the ECU and removing the resonator. How would I go about doing this on my Omega? Its a 1996 CDX V6 2.5. Its at the garage at the minute so I might be able to ask them to do it.

I looked through lots of forum pages from google trying to find out so sorry if its been asked before. On one it said it takes 100 miles for the ECU to learn its new settings, so would I have to drive it easy for 100 miles in this case, or just normally?

I've been thinking of getting it chipped by superchips as well, so presumably resetting the ECU would have to be done in this case too - ie would it be a good idea to get it chipped at the same time? Ta.

jamie

• Newtown, Powys
  • "Say 'ello to my little MV6, maricon"
    • View Profile
Re: 1996 CDX 2.5 V6 ECU Reset / Resonator
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2007, 14:16:53 »

From experience with the V6 ecotecs with factory variable induction system (VIS, Air Ram, Resonator), fitting an aftermarket induction system will result in an average reduction in power, and it will skew detrimentally  the torque against rpm curve.

By reseting the ecu, do you mean reprogramming it or putting it in to "learn" mode?  If the battery is disconnected for a time, when the engine is restarted, all the closed loop values will be "re learned" over the first drive cycle of sufficient distance.
MV6 3.0L  XJ40 3.6L Sovereign (Galaxy Tdi130)
My non commercial Projects http://www.iecd.co.uk/ScratchPad/Projects/NonCon.htm

Some Pictures
http://www.iecd.co.uk/ScratchPad/temp/

SonicMarmalade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2007, 15:24:14 »

Don't know really. From what he said, if I removed the resonator it would growl even more than it does now. He said I should reset the ECU so it can sort of re-learn how to work only with the induction kit feeding it more air. Something about his didn't do much until he reset the ECU, then it learnt how to work with the induction kit, and then it made a difference to it.

I was guessing that if I had it chipped, that also would require resetting the ECU, so I may as well get it chipped at the same time.

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2007, 00:43:28 »

Chips from Mtec are recomended for the omega.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

SonicMarmalade

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2007, 20:50:38 »

So does anyone know how to reset the ECU - I've been told to just disconnect the battery for a while? Do MTek reset the ECU when they fit chips and if so whereabouts in the country are they?

If my car has a resonator in the induction system, is it something I can remove and if so how? Ta

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2007, 20:58:46 »

No need to reset....it will learn its new reduction in power thanks to the intake mod on its own....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.