Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which engine should I go for.  (Read 4377 times)

Sir Gingerlot

• Leicester
    • View Profile
Re: Which engine should I go for.
« Reply #15 on: 05 March 2007, 16:20:04 »

Thank you for all your comments. It looks like most of you who replied prefer the V6's. My last remaining doubt is whether they are reliable. Most of the posts on this site seem to be about the V6's in various states of repair. I presume this is because there are so many of them out there and not that they tend to break easily. My cousin works for Vauxhall and has warned me that the V6's are a pig to fix and very expensive in labour time. If you disagree please let me know. I have seen some great 2.5 V6's on the internet so just need a little more convincing.

Thanks

Ong

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 March 2007, 16:34:27 »

They are pretty easy to work on for most things.  They do need cambelts every 3 years or so depending on how much you drive.  Mainly, they are cheap and usually need a few things doing when they are sold, like cam cover gaskets.  Look very carefully at the records of recent service.  Mine already had the HBV and oil cooler done when I bought it.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 March 2007, 16:50:19 »

the 2.2's i think tend to be more reliable, they can be abused and still go (although not very well)

Very few posts in the help section refer to the 2.2 / 2.0 engines. (apart from mpg  ::))

Went to Slough today, me and a m8, full boot. Did not feel underpowered, joining motorway on an up hill ramp, 40 to 80... pulled well.

The 2.2 is fine until you get to 80... it will sit there all day long no problems and return 35+ to the gallon..... however try and go past 80, and it takes a while to wind up the speed.

Also 4 passengers in the car really hurts the 2.2 were as the V6's are fine, because its just me in it 90% of the time and i am skinny git (10 stone) it goes fast enough for me  :y
« Last Edit: 05 March 2007, 16:51:14 by tunnie »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 March 2007, 18:53:30 »

the 2.2's i think tend to be more reliable
Not sure I could agree with that.  Most of the car is identical, and mechnically, the v6 engine is strong.  Failed cambelts kill both engines.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 March 2007, 18:56:24 »

Thank you for all your comments. It looks like most of you who replied prefer the V6's. My last remaining doubt is whether they are reliable. Most of the posts on this site seem to be about the V6's in various states of repair. I presume this is because there are so many of them out there and not that they tend to break easily. My cousin works for Vauxhall and has warned me that the V6's are a pig to fix and very expensive in labour time. If you disagree please let me know. I have seen some great 2.5 V6's on the internet so just need a little more convincing.

Thanks

Ong
The V6 in a FWD car is a tight fit.  In the Omega, there are a couple of common components that are a bit tight - HBV and DIS. Not impossible though.  I have to say, you're cousins' comments are not uncommon from Vauxhall technicians, they are just scared of Omegas, which may be why so many are so poorly serviced.
Grumpy old man

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 March 2007, 09:43:53 »

The V6 in a FWD car is a tight fit.  In the Omega, there are a couple of common components that are a bit tight - HBV and DIS. Not impossible though.  I have to say, you're cousins' comments are not uncommon from Vauxhall technicians, they are just scared of Omegas, which may be why so many are so poorly serviced

It might be big but there is nothing to be scared of, if anything it is probably easier to service than a FWD car with everything jammed into a tiny space
« Last Edit: 06 March 2007, 09:44:44 by The_Barge_Captain »
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 March 2007, 10:39:37 »

Not sure I could agree with that.  Most of the car is identical, and mechnically, the v6 engine is strong.  Failed cambelts kill both engines.

To me there seams to be less issues with cooling, rocket cover gaskets, oil leaks, with the 4pots compared to the V6. Weak point on all is the belt.

Most of the engine related posts in general help are related to the V6  ;)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 March 2007, 11:26:24 »

That's cuz most of us bought the right engine!  :P
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 March 2007, 12:23:54 »

To me there seams to be less issues with cooling, rocket cover gaskets, oil leaks, with the 4pots compared to the V6. Weak point on all is the belt.

From my experience, the 4 pot does not last as well as the V6...........

The HBV is the same on both

They both have simialr lead/DIS/coil pack issues.

They both suffer cam cover leaks the same.

The 4 pot is more prone to blocked breatehrs (probably due to the way it wears faster)

They both have the same service intervals....

2.2, also has an oil cooler (keep to the service schuduel and the V6 one is not a problem)
« Last Edit: 06 March 2007, 12:26:51 by Mark »

bestseany

• Intermediate Member
  • Flintshire, North Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 March 2007, 16:37:00 »

A V6 Omega certainly isn't a cheap car to own. I've already spent shed loads on it in the last 5 months since I bought it.

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 March 2007, 08:16:28 »

The V6 is a good reliable unit if it is maintained properly.

Most of the issues are down to lack of previous maintenance/incompetence(see many Vx "technicians").

Buy the right car (eg Marks if he ever decides to sell!  ;D) and follow the correct service schedule and you should have a good reliable car. :)

As for difficult to work on? Not at all. There are some things that are awkward but you won't find a better support network for an owner than this place. :)
The Administrator.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 March 2007, 09:48:24 »

Not sure I agree with this comment.  I had a 4 pot on a veccy and I spend less time under the bonnet with the meega than the veccy. in 2 years on the veccy I had : valve stem oil seal blow (complete head refurb done at the same time) new oil level sensors in the sump, timing belt change required at the same interval to be sure, although it is easier to do, breather curcuit blocked, rocker cover gaskets, rear bushes.........  sound familiar?

Happier now I have the meega   8-)

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 March 2007, 23:37:55 »

The V6 is a good reliable unit if it is maintained properly.

Most of the issues are down to lack of previous maintenance/incompetence(see many Vx "technicians").

Buy the right car (eg Marks if he ever decides to sell!  ;D) and follow the correct service schedule and you should have a good reliable car. :)

As for difficult to work on? Not at all. There are some things that are awkward but you won't find a better support network for an owner than this place. :)

Agreed 110%  :)
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

stuart30

« Reply #29 on: 08 March 2007, 00:51:41 »

Well personaly i found the 2.0 to be fine,owned 2 and found one to much more responsive than the other...stay clear of the 3.0 if fuel comsumption is an issue other wise there a nice powerful car and lovely with an auto box,so far my 2.5 seems ok (ish) power wise but for me theres not a lot more than the 2.0. :-?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.