Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: WHITE MAYO. HEAD GASKET FAILURE?  (Read 1611 times)

PAULH

• WEST MIDLANDS
    • View Profile
WHITE MAYO. HEAD GASKET FAILURE?
« on: 02 November 2008, 09:30:31 »

Morning Guys,

I've noticed some white mayo in the oil filler cap / neck. I'm not overheating but do seem to have to top up the coolant and oil every two weeks or so. Is my head gasket on its way out or could it be something else? I haven't noticed any oil or water leaks or oil in the coolant tank etc..

Thanks in advance...

v6venom

• nr wareham dorset
  • banned due to bad trader references
    • View Profile
Re: WHITE MAYO. HEAD GASKET FAILURE?
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2008, 09:37:59 »

short runs with old oil may give gasket failure symptoms mate ..

when was the oil changed last? maybe worth a refresh n keep an eye on things ....

if theres no smoke when driven fairly hard and no oil in the water id doubt the gaskets failed, maybe get a garage/oof member to do a sniffer test in you water expansion bottle, the process will determine if theres a possible gasket issue .. :y

PAULH

• WEST MIDLANDS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2008, 09:49:18 »

Thanks for your reply. Any idea how much it would cost for the pressure test you refer to?

Am I right in thinking HG failure is rare on V6 Omegas?

Cheers.........

Bandit127

« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2008, 09:59:16 »

Paul

When was the last time you did more than (say) 10 miles? Water conensation can cause a light mayo in the filler cap this time of year. It's also common on motorbikes, but more obvious because of the inspection window they have.

v6venom

• nr wareham dorset
  • banned due to bad trader references
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2008, 10:09:28 »

Thanks for your reply. Any idea how much it would cost for the pressure test you refer to?

Am I right in thinking HG failure is rare on V6 Omegas?

Cheers.........

if a oof member has a sniffer doubt itll cost ya more than a burger n a brew or similiar ...lol
garages probs charge £10 ish ??

in my time with v6 vauxhalls ive never had to deal with a gasket failure but oil coolers are a bit of a common issue normally early symptoms will include oil in the expansion bottle ...

id try a sniffer then and if alls well treat the car to a good quality oil and filter change .....

PAULH

• WEST MIDLANDS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2008, 11:03:22 »

Cheers for all the advice so far.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 November 2008, 11:28:53 »

As said, if you do a lot of short journeys, the engine doesn't have time to get rid of all it's condensation.

Regular oil and filter changes, we recomend Vx Semi Synth 10/40, and genuine Vx oil filters, say every 2000/3000 miles.

With regular oil changes you help to eliminate the build up of mayo in the filler cap.
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 November 2008, 12:29:51 »

Vauxhall's own semi synth seems less prone to the mayo on short journeys than some other oils.  Also, remember, if the cap is getting mayo'd, so are the breathers, so may be a good time to clean them ;)
Grumpy old man

sev

• Intermediate Member
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2008, 17:20:15 »

I only do short journeys, and I have the same syptoms.  I changed my oil, and there's no mayo in the oil or the coolant, and it's only the top 3 inches of the filler neck.

Do an oil change paul, and look at the oil. if it doesn't contain any mayo, you should be fine, as the others have said - short journeys.
1995 2.5 V6 CDX Saloon

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2008, 18:42:51 »

so what's with having to top up the oil and water all the time then?

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2008, 19:00:10 »

Oil probably cam cover leak...check the spark plug wells to see if you have any oil in them...this will be caused by the breather system needing cleaning...

Water, could be the HBV perhaps if no noticable sign of water leaking puddles on the floor...
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2008, 21:07:32 »

Morning Guys,

I've noticed some white mayo in the oil filler cap / neck. I'm not overheating but do seem to have to top up the coolant and oil every two weeks or so. Is my head gasket on its way out or could it be something else? I haven't noticed any oil or water leaks or oil in the coolant tank etc..

Thanks in advance...
The omega is prone to,

1 mayo on the filla cap. Due to the "spout" it sits on to make filling easier, the cap sits in colder air away from the engine and condensation forms, giving mayo, worse with alot of short journeys.

2 coolant leaks. Hbv and oil cooler cover plate, stat housing, and coolant bridge in the v. Plus coolant transfer pipe above bell housing, and cylinder head coor plugs can all give a 2 week top up.

3. Blown cam covers, due to blocked breathers, this fills the plug wells with oil and often runs down the side of the engine above the exhaust fanimold. Ie loss of oil.

4. Because of 1.2and 3 they are often diagnosed with hg failure. This is very rare on the v6 omega.
4 pots suffer with it if the coolant is not changed to schedule, it then turns acidic and eats away at the hg.

Rule is for the v6, oil in coolant, blown oil cooler.
Coolant in oil,(sump) head gaskit failure.

So, with all the above in mind. Very good chance not hg failure. I would drop the oil and see what it looks like. Just to be sure. Anything from gold to black is normal. Anything that looks like hot chocolate, thin grey water, basically oil with water turns from translucent gold brown, black to opaque brown,grey mayo. Some pressureisation of the coolant system may be evident, or it may blow the cap clean off, but bear in mind the omega runs a pressureisd self bleeding system.
Dont run the engine with the cap off for too long or it will bubble over. Same as it will taking the cap off when still hot. Pressure and bottle tests can also help but are another expense over and above changing the oil, which it sounds like it needs anyway. Anyone agree?

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2008, 23:09:39 »

Pressure and bottle tests can also help but are another expense over and above changing the oil, which it sounds like it needs anyway. Anyone agree?
[/quote]

Just me then? Bump.

SmiffyMan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 November 2008, 21:02:39 »

I got a 2000 MV6 3.0 Auto and I have Mayo in the filler cap. Most of journeys are short 10-20 miles per day. I've had the coolent checked and no oil is present. My rocker gasket has blown on the drivers side too. Just did the Crank sensor also. I think this is a coomon thing with these to get mayo in the filler cap area. So I'm not too worried. Gotta get the rocker gasket done though. Dreading that!!

manny

• bromorough.Wirral.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 November 2008, 21:07:36 »

I do a 24 mile round trip each day and 20 miles of it is motorway.Never had any mayo in oil cap.Change oil every 3k.
2001 OMEGA MV6
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.