Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost of a respray?  (Read 3325 times)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Cost of a respray?
« on: 14 November 2007, 11:22:05 »

Ey up

Now, come the summer, I'll hopefully have saved enough pennies for a respray. I'm after the works - bare metal, then a nice sheen of black (which black, I'm not sure yet, but that's another topic). Now, there's a fair few stonechips on the bonnet, wingmirrors are scraped (previous owner obviously had his own ideas when it came to folding the mirrors in...), and there's a couple of chips on the sides. I'd imagine these will come out with the respray process.
 Of more concern is the bootlid - it's obviously had something hit it from above, and the owner's just got two blobs of silver Dulux and blobbed it in with a brush. Also, there's a couple of bubbles under the paint on the rear doors. Don't think it'll be too much work, but it's just a smidgen more than a regular respray.
 I have previous experience of a local bodyshop who were brilliant (mum's car got modified by an errant Citroen driver, they brought it back to brand new, and valeted the whole thing too.) - I'm just looking for a rough estimate of exactly how many parmos I'm going to have to cut back on...

Regards
Pete
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of a respray?
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2007, 11:24:48 »

Don't know, sorry.  :)
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2007, 11:25:50 »

oddly enough im contemplating this too. The problem being if you have bad rust the respray will only hide it for so long.

Bare metal spray is going to creep into 4 figures though.....and dependant on where you are in the country and whether you "know" the bodyshop  ;)

Im looking about £1200  :-/ but i need to find new doors first.
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2007, 11:27:45 »

Parmos no one will know what your on about

Hummmm parmos ill be having one or two when i am back home for xmas

I know jim had a full respray done for about 1000 pounds but he did all the prep work if i remember right and he got it respraied on the cheap
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2007, 11:53:20 »

Markie and I resprayed a HiJet Van, once - luminous green!  ::)

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2007, 11:59:55 »

[size=14]Parmo[/size]
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Parmo or Parmesan is a popular food dish primarily sold in take aways in and around the Teesside area of North East England, where it also originated. Its original name was 'Escalope Parmesan' and was made from pork meat or chicken and is served both as a restaurant meal and a take-out snack, accompanied by chips and a choice of salad, coleslaw or creamed cabbage.

The Parmo is very similar to the veal or chicken Parmigiana which is commonly eaten in Australia as a local pub meal or in Australian and American Italian restaurants.

Hmmm. Sounds healthy.  ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: 14 November 2007, 12:01:15 by martin_saint »
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Paulus

• Wheaton Aston
  • Are you lookin' at me??? Punk???
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2007, 12:23:40 »

Creamed Cabbage? YUK!!!!!
Growing old disgracefully...

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2007, 13:45:20 »

Creamed Cabbage? YUK!!!!!

Bah, that's for people trying to pretend they're healthy. Parmo and chips does me right. Delicious.

Anyhow, back on topic... I'd rather pay four figures and get a spot-on job done, rather than a half-price one that lasts six months and peels. This car is a keeper for sure, so its worth it. :y

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2007, 14:25:37 »

Pete any good resprayer will give you a 5 year warrenty on the work, if they dont go somewhere else
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

geoff

• thornaby,stockton on tees
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2007, 17:05:29 »

parmo soumds like good idea tea time i think mmmm

miggy

« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2007, 17:31:26 »

A top job will cost money, i have seen resprays costing hundreds and the finish has been rubbish (orange peel), if your going to have it done make sure the people doing it have a good name and make sure it is prepped correctly, otherwise in a year or so it will start spotting and flaking in area where it was not prepped.

Honestly mate, a bad job will look terrible, it will ruin the look

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 November 2007, 17:37:29 »

lookin at that, i'd say it's already been eaten once

but yeah, about £1200 ish for a good respray
« Last Edit: 14 November 2007, 17:38:03 by D4NNY »

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #12 on: 14 November 2007, 18:10:37 »

Mine cost approx £1000.00 but that was mate's rate's, the guy who painted it was a friend of mine, follow the link below to see the full story :y
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1163933557
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2007, 04:07:27 »

Mine cost approx £1000.00 but that was mate's rate's, the guy who painted it was a friend of mine, follow the link below to see the full story :y
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1163933557

Y'see, that was part of the inspiration for me saving for a full job, rather than just repairing the dings and chips... :D

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 November 2007, 08:35:31 »

a couple of years ago i had a smaller car resprayed. bare metal job and it was a convertible so there was less metal as well.

Cost was £1500 and that came with a warranty, for something like the omega i would be looking at at least 2K and that would be doing the strip out work myself

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 November 2007, 14:09:33 »

The hard work is in the preparation. If you can do some of that yourself, it should save some money.

As per the other replies I would be looking £1000/1200. The existing defects you talk about is all normal wear and tear and it's generally accepted that a little work is required to bring the shell up to spec. Speak to a professional I would say, bare metal is probably a little too thorough, hardly anyone does that  :-?

The other thing is does the car warrant such expensive work? It probably won't be worth any more? On the positive side, we have a fantastic local guy down here (York).

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 November 2007, 15:38:10 »

The hard work is in the preparation. If you can do some of that yourself, it should save some money.

I have the patience of Basil Fawlty... some of it I'm willing to do, but anything resembling plastic clips and I will go mad... ;)

As per the other replies I would be looking £1000/1200. The existing defects you talk about is all normal wear and tear and it's generally accepted that a little work is required to bring the shell up to spec. Speak to a professional I would say, bare metal is probably a little too thorough, hardly anyone does that  :-?

My background is in old old cars - often fitting new panels. Is it more usual to just go back to primer, then re-prime and paint? I'm not a bodywork man, I've not got the eye for it, but I'm interested in how it's done...

The other thing is does the car warrant such expensive work? It probably won't be worth any more?

Oh, it'll be worth it. Not to increase the value of the car, but it's the best car I've ever owned, and I want it like brand-new. :y :D

On the positive side, we have a fantastic local guy down here (York).

I'm going to be having a look and an ask around, closer to when I want it doing - I know my mum's car was fantastic when she got it back, but I'd like to see a full respray from them. York isn't to far at all for me, so I'd be interested to have a look there too. Recommendations are much more valuable than low prices, after all. :y

BMH_26

• Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 November 2007, 22:22:49 »

hello mate i had a full bare metal respray on my show Cavalier 4 x 4 Turbo which looked like glass the finish was fantastic Although i did pay £4900  :-X

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 November 2007, 23:11:57 »

hello mate i had a full bare metal respray on my show Cavalier 4 x 4 Turbo which looked like glass the finish was fantastic Although i did pay £4900  :-X

Good lord. Not looking to pay quite that much... got any pics, out of interest?

BMH_26

• Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 November 2007, 00:03:47 »

HERE YOU GO

« Last Edit: 16 November 2007, 00:05:12 by BMH_26 »

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 November 2007, 03:32:28 »

HERE YOU GO

Very nice! But I hope that dodgy wing colour is the photograph and not your 5000 quid paint!?!  :o

Pete, I believe nowadays for a more cost-effective job the paint/bodywork is repaired as necessary and then flatted back to the finest finish available. The existing surface is then treated and sprayed with an isolating layer which stops any chemical contamination between the old/new paint. The body is then ready for the regular primer, Base/top coat and clear coat for a tough glossy finish. It is repeatedly flatted between certain stages and the clear coat/laquer is machine polished.

Obviously with a bare metal respray the whole car has to be completely stripped then the vehicle is usually bead blasted, which itself can cause more damage to the weaker (rusty!) spots. These have to be repaired, in metal rather than common filler. Whole car is painted as above, but usually to a higher standard than when new.....then you just have to remember how to put it all back together!  ;D

If you're after any more info re local bodyshop, give us a shout. They are located in Elvington, of airfield fame!

All the best  :y
« Last Edit: 16 November 2007, 03:33:02 by davlad22 »

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 November 2007, 10:26:44 »

HERE YOU GO

Very nice! But I hope that dodgy wing colour is the photograph and not your 5000 quid paint!?!  :o

That is jaw-dropping. I've only ever liked the top-end Cavs (ever since I learned to tell the difference between a GSi and 1.7 diesel...) - wheres your car at now?

Pete, I believe nowadays for a more cost-effective job the paint/bodywork is repaired as necessary and then flatted back to the finest finish available. The existing surface is then treated and sprayed with an isolating layer which stops any chemical contamination between the old/new paint. The body is then ready for the regular primer, Base/top coat and clear coat for a tough glossy finish. It is repeatedly flatted between certain stages and the clear coat/laquer is machine polished.

I see. Makes sense. :y

Obviously with a bare metal respray the whole car has to be completely stripped then the vehicle is usually bead blasted, which itself can cause more damage to the weaker (rusty!) spots. These have to be repaired, in metal rather than common filler. Whole car is painted as above, but usually to a higher standard than when new.....then you just have to remember how to put it all back together!  ;D

:D

If you're after any more info re local bodyshop, give us a shout. They are located in Elvington, of airfield fame!

Another excuse to drive round there? As if I needed one anyway? I will do, as I say, it'll be next year I'm looking at getting it done.

All the best  :y

And yourself mate. :y
« Last Edit: 16 November 2007, 10:27:00 by PeteG »

BMH_26

• Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 November 2007, 10:59:38 »

Thanks mate the car is in Bristol ATM i think  :'( I do miss it

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 November 2007, 12:03:27 »

Thanks mate the car is in Bristol ATM i think  :'( I do miss it

Hope it's still being looked after.

BMH_26

• Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 November 2007, 12:24:47 »

yes lol and me where abouts do you live any way? have you tried your local bodyshops ?

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 November 2007, 12:47:55 »

I'm in Teesside... I'm loathe to actually go see anyone yet, cos I'll end up going "oh, here's some money, do it tomorrow"... can't afford it yet...

BMH_26

• Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 November 2007, 14:11:09 »

ha ha ha ha lol know how you feell buddy. good luck saving those pennys any way :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.