Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Bushes??  (Read 2261 times)

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Bushes??
« Reply #15 on: 02 December 2009, 22:32:01 »

Wait a second isnt that what you wrote setting of wheel geometry? When you put weights on the rims.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 December 2009, 22:34:11 »

weights on the rims of wheels is wheel balance ... to stop vibration at high rotational speeds ....

Geometry is the setting of all the angles of the wheels to the road so that the tyres run true.

richard1967

• Swindon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 December 2009, 22:34:59 »

Hi thanks for that.  Ive been out again ( I must look like a madman with a torch scrabbling aorund at this time of night LOL!)) Its definately just paint thats flaked off.  Theres no crack around the spring.  Ive looked at the rear wheels, and the bottom of the wheel is stuck further out than the top, so it must be the camber???????

feeutfo

« Reply #18 on: 02 December 2009, 22:36:14 »

you dont mention any work done on the car that may be related, or how many miles its done. But chances are, with the age of these cars now, most bushes will be close to failure.

rear is only adjustable for toe, camber caster and toe on the front. Your local garage or tyre place wont have facilitys to set the omega correctly, no matter what they tell you.

Full geometric set up needed. However for this to be fully successfull you need good bushes front(wishbone bushes) and back(donut bushes). Check springs for breakages and steering idler for wear/play, and if your happy the front shocks are ok and not leaking get it set up.

You can just set it up without checking of course, but if the shocks need changing at the next mot, or any other related components need replacing, it really needs setting up again once replaced. So best to check first, set up once....

Have a search re set up and bushes. Well covered on here. There are also guides in maintenance for replacment. Hth

richard1967

• Swindon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 December 2009, 22:44:50 »

Its been really well maintained.  Only has 58,000 on the clock with full service history.  I went on holiday recently and packed the car to the gunnels. Since then Ive been aware that the rear wheels have splayed out at the bottom.  I need a new tyre on the rear (because of a puncture) so Im going to take it in tomorrow and try the camber first of all.  If that doesnt work then a visit to Chesham awaits!!
« Last Edit: 02 December 2009, 23:05:32 by richard1967 »

Cotty

• Darwen,Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 December 2009, 22:52:52 »

Do what I do when the weather's too crap for arsing around under the car-take it to a few different garages where they give you a free quote,when they find the problem ask them to show you where on vehicle.Get a price for parts and labour and compare prices. Work out how long it'll take yourself to do the job compared to labour at garage.
Either way you can't put a value on your life so get an experts opinion and go easy until it's sorted.
Take care :y

feeutfo

« Reply #21 on: 02 December 2009, 23:10:06 »

Its been really well maintained.  Only has 58,000 on the clock with full sh.  I went on holiday recently and packed the car to the gunnels. Since then Ive been aware that the rear wheels have aplyed out at the bottom.  I need a new tyreon the rear ( because of a puncture) so Im going to take it in tomorrow and try the camber first of all.  If that doesnt work then a visit to Chesham awaits!!

Hmmm, due to the trailing arm design of the rear suspension, the rears should not lean in at the top when loaded or otherwise. Just trying to think what would cause that.
 If you look down the sides of the wheels when kneeling down in front or behind the car and compare the vertical angle to the wheel behind they should be very similar, with a fraction more on the front if anything.

Has the problem coincided with the puncture?

richard1967

• Swindon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 December 2009, 23:16:26 »

Hi,  No the problem hasnt coincided with the puncture, that was just unfortunate- driving over a couple of nails.  Im thinking that the way the rear wheels are further out at the bottom than at the top,must be the contributory factor.  Ive been out with a spirit level !!!, and the rear tyres are different to the front.  So Im assuming its a camber issue 

richard1967

• Swindon
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Bushes?? ***********NOW FIXED*******
« Reply #23 on: 07 December 2009, 22:24:34 »

Its fixed!  Ive had all of the tyres changed.  Ive replaced the tyres ( front and back )with load bearing tyres, which have a squarer profile, rather than the contactsport ones I had on before.  It now drives like a dream

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 December 2009, 22:50:36 »

Hi Im in Swindon.  Perhaps I could do the trip on the weekend.  I need a new tyre on the back anyway because of a puncture.  Can you guys recomend anyone nearer to Swindon at all?? Thanks!

Why drive to Chesham? Imperial Tyres, Elgin Industrial Estate, Swindon,  have the full Optiline equipment, and have checked and adjusted my Omega geometry, front & rear, for the last few years. Very happy with them. :y

Cheers

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 December 2009, 23:30:21 »

Hi Im in Swindon.  Perhaps I could do the trip on the weekend.  I need a new tyre on the back anyway because of a puncture.  Can you guys recomend anyone nearer to Swindon at all?? Thanks!

Why drive to Chesham? Imperial Tyres, Elgin Industrial Estate, Swindon,  have the full Optiline equipment, and have checked and adjusted my Omega geometry, front & rear, for the last few years. Very happy with them. :y

Cheers

I can only speak as I find ... but on my old miggy I had some steering problems and Imperial tyres tried to fix them .. they would always put the readings "into the green" .. but the tyres kept wearing.

When I joined the forum, and changed to this car, the consensus was/is that WIM don't just use the makers settings - "in the green" - but that Tony has used his experience and knowledge to refine those figures to match a "non-new" (for want of a better description) car.

Having had this car set up by Tony ... all I can say is the drive home was like being in a different car.... okies .. before you say it ... Imperial may have done the same ... don't know....

My choice would be WIM .. even though it costs a bit to get there....  just my views .. nowt else .. :)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 December 2009, 10:00:23 »

Cheers

I can only speak as I find ... but on my old miggy I had some steering problems and Imperial tyres tried to fix them .. they would always put the readings "into the green" .. but the tyres kept wearing.

When I joined the forum, and changed to this car, the consensus was/is that WIM don't just use the makers settings - "in the green" - but that Tony has used his experience and knowledge to refine those figures to match a "non-new" (for want of a better description) car.

Having had this car set up by Tony ... all I can say is the drive home was like being in a different car.... okies .. before you say it ... Imperial may have done the same ... don't know....

My choice would be WIM .. even though it costs a bit to get there....  just my views .. nowt else .. :)

Point taken about experience with these vehicles, can only speak as I find, and as I don't push it performance wise, I probably would not notice slight discrepancies in the settings, which, like yours, are in the 'green' :y

richard1967

• Swindon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 December 2009, 21:57:04 »

Hi Guys,  The problem has been fixed. Interestingly enough I went into Imperial.  They said it would cost me £70 to have a geometry check, to include alignment, balance, camber ( front only).  They said they couldnt adjust the rear Camber.  However I went to another place, and they put the car up on a ramp and actually showed me where the rear camber can be adjusted!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 December 2009, 23:01:47 »

Hi Guys,  The problem has been fixed. Interestingly enough I went into Imperial.  They said it would cost me £70 to have a geometry check, to include alignment, balance, camber ( front only).  They said they couldnt adjust the rear Camber.  However I went to another place, and they put the car up on a ramp and actually showed me where the rear camber can be adjusted!

Can't understand why Imperial said they couldn't do camber on the rear, they certainly gave me different before & after camber readings on the rears in November when they set mine up. Of course they may not have actually altered anything except the readings! :-?

feeutfo

« Reply #29 on: 10 December 2009, 23:32:23 »

Can't understand why Imperial said they couldn't do camber on the rear, they certainly gave me different before & after camber readings on the rears in November when they set mine up. Of course they may not have actually altered anything except the readings! :-?
They cant adjust camber on the rear because, as said before, its not adjustable for camber on the rear. I know this because, apart from the 15 odd times my car has been on set up ramps, the right rear camber on mine is out and they cant adjust it. It is only adjustable for toe.....on the rear....only.....nothing else.....no camber, no caster...... just toe...... on the rear. Bit like tracking, toe is the same thing. 2 bars on the rear with rose joints on each end, an adjustable bar with a hex to pull the wheel in and out. Hth

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.