Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter tyres  (Read 924 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Winter tyres
« on: 03 November 2010, 16:02:55 »

Having a spare set of alloys, I am thinking of putting a set of winter tyres on them for bad weather use. Has anyone got a recommendation for a tyre good in snow and 'on road' use? Preferably not vastly expensive. Perhaps a Scandinavian member would have experience of these types of tyres. :y

sport

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • View Profile
Re: Winter tyres
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2010, 16:25:46 »

Hi i put toyo mud and snow tyres when caravaning and in winter a lot better than my goodyear f1 on the grass and snow
« Last Edit: 03 November 2010, 16:27:35 by sport »

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2010, 16:27:50 »

over here winter tyres are relatively cheap i always go for kuhmo's michelin or hankook they are middle of the road although michelin is probably more top end, you don't want to drive in snow without them!! which reminds me i must swap mine over.
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Debs.

« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2010, 16:46:42 »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 November 2010, 16:50:45 »

I use Vredestein "Snowtrac" :y

http://www.vredestein.co.uk/Banden_Bandgroepen.asp?

Which ones Debs 1,2 or3?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2010, 16:52:39 »

over here winter tyres are relatively cheap i always go for kuhmo's michelin or hankook they are middle of the road although michelin is probably more top end, you don't want to drive in snow without them!! which reminds me i must swap mine over.

Thanks MrG, are they all good 'on road' also? As you probably know, we have patchy winters here. :y

Debs.

« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2010, 17:05:52 »

Which ones Debs 1,2 or3?

Snowtrac II.....they`re good in snow and mud (self-clearing) and stay very grippy at low temps.

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 November 2010, 18:40:09 »

Thanks MrG, are they all good 'on road' also? As you probably know, we have patchy winters here. :y

very good on the road must say, they have markings s&w which i geuss is snow and winter but in wet or dry conditions they hold their own albeit it they are a bit louder. my brother in-law keeps his on all year round and says doesn't make any difference and he drives 150k per day! also the min tread allowed in winter here is 5mm so when you break that point you generally keep them on for the summer anyway.
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

V6 CDX-er

• Intermediate Member
  • Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2010, 23:36:36 »

Which ones Debs 1,2 or3?

Snowtrac II.....they`re good in snow and mud (self-clearing) and stay very grippy at low temps.

Yep.

I had them on my Audi, my Saab, and the wifes Skoda. Great tyres that work very well in wet or cold or icy or slushy, or snowy weather. Downsides would be a little more tyre noise and a bit more flex in the sidewalls.

Boditza

• Craiova, Romania
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 November 2010, 08:52:14 »

very good on the road must say, they have markings s&w which i geuss is snow and winter but in wet or dry conditions they hold their own albeit it they are a bit louder. my brother in-law keeps his on all year round and says doesn't make any difference and he drives 150k per day! also the min tread allowed in winter here is 5mm so when you break that point you generally keep them on for the summer anyway.

from my experience only michellin tyres are as silent no matter if they are winter or summer. continental comes second but other winter tyres i tryed are louder on asfalt than summer tyres

Off: i see your from Salzburg... maybe we can meed sometime because i travel to rosenheim 3-4 times a year :)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 November 2010, 09:27:41 »

Which ones Debs 1,2 or3?

Unfortunately they don't do Snowtrac 2 in my size, 225x55x16. :'(

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2010, 10:04:31 »

I have at the back Hankooks Icebear, really good in the dry but not very good in the wet.
For the front tyres currently I have Michelins Alpine pillot sport or something like that. Really good tyres in all conditions but expensive though
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.