Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: winter tyres  (Read 2533 times)

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
winter tyres
« on: 15 November 2010, 09:45:33 »

with another period of bad weather and undoubtedly badly gritted/maintained roads to contend with, anyone on here with any recommendations for reasonably priced winter tyres on here?

Omega_Dan

« Last Edit: 15 November 2010, 09:52:08 by Omega_Dan »

aaronjb

Re: winter tyres
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2010, 09:55:01 »

My rears are going to be replaced with these in the next few weeks http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=4786139.110.24038&typ=R-156453&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=55&Felge=16&Speed=H&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=Wi

Good price and quality :y

So you'll be able to go.. but not stop or steer? ;D

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2010, 10:09:25 »

cheers Dan, thats not too bad a bad price-though must admit the same thoughts as aaron crossed my mind!Why not fit them allround ?

Omega_Dan

« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2010, 10:15:51 »

haha the fronts have brand new all weather continental's about 800 miles ago before when i had it. the rears are almost down to the limit. i have been keen to get a decent set of winter tyres thinking there should be no issues with the fronts (all year ones).

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2010, 10:27:47 »

My rears are going to be replaced with these in the next few weeks http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=4786139.110.24038&typ=R-156453&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Quer=55&Felge=16&Speed=H&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=Wi

Good price and quality :y

So you'll be able to go.. but not stop or steer? ;D

Costco will only fit 2 new tyres to the rear because of a recomendation by Michelin,  I agree with you though.

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 November 2010, 10:28:03 »

Yeah, Id thought of "all weather" ones but sort of assumed that they might be too much of a compromise given the sort of extremes of temp and road conditions we seem to be getting across tthe year lately?

Omega_Dan

« Reply #7 on: 15 November 2010, 10:33:10 »

Yeah i know what you mean jerry hence my reasoning for thing the winter tyres at the back.  I will ponder whether ill have all weather or winter at the back.

sorry for Hi-jacking your thread ;D :y

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 November 2010, 10:38:25 »

no worries Dan ;D :yJust looking for some advice mate as did NOT enjoy last winters driving a bit and am not looking forward to the coming one, not least as my shift pattern means either 6am starts or midnight finishes !

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 November 2010, 10:58:23 »

.... not least as my shift pattern means either 6am starts or midnight finishes !

which does have the advantage of being on the road before the half wits get up or after the half wits have gone to bed.  ;)  ;)  ;)

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2010, 11:16:20 »

.... not least as my shift pattern means either 6am starts or midnight finishes !

which does have the advantage of being on the road before the half wits get up or after the half wits have gone to bed.  ;)  ;)  ;)

This is so very true Andy  ;D but it has the disadvantage of driving on frozen roads that they either havent bothered to grit and with little other traffic to help make it effective if they have :-/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2010, 11:24:09 »

This is so very true Andy  ;D but it has the disadvantage of driving on frozen roads that they either havent bothered to grit and with little other traffic to help make it effective if they have :-/

I worked permanent night shift finishing at 0600 for 15 years but now start at 0700 which means setting off at 0600 to drive the 23 miles to work. Last winter was ..... er  :-/ ..... interesting!  ;D  ;D  ;D. The worst morning was a Sunday after we'd been to a neighbours' 50th the night before, after about 3 hours sleep, 4"/5" of snow was the last thing I wanted to see.  :-?  :y

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2010, 11:32:41 »

yep, its pretty stuff to look at or play in but not so much fun to face driving in . Still, wonder if I'll see all those cocky BMW drivers come unstuck again like I did last year as they sped past me only for me to pass them a bit later in a ditch? ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2010, 11:44:18 »

yep, its pretty stuff to look at or play in but not so much fun to face driving in . Still, wonder if I'll see all those cocky BMW drivers come unstuck again like I did last year as they sped past me only for me to pass them a bit later in a ditch? ;D

I think the worst thing for me was the people in their FWD scrabble wagons who'd sit 2" from my back bumper because I clearly "wasn't going fast enough" for them .. 'course I couldn't go any faster because every time I tried to accelerate up that hill, the back end stepped out and I ended up going sideways ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 November 2010, 11:46:18 »

I passed one last year in SWMBO's MX5. ;D

Idiot stopped half way up a hill and stayed stopped. ::)

Decided to overtake him and the back end of the MX started to follow the camber of the road towards the opposite side.

I ended up passing him about 45 degrees to the direction of travel with an armful of opposite lock on and a big grin on my face. Got a dirty look in return. Gathered it all up once in front of him and carried on up the hill. ;D

Was laughing with SWMBO about the "thingy in the BMW" on the driveway once we got home and who happened to be walking up our road within earshot? :-[  ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.