Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting a Bose sound system in a non Bose Omega  (Read 3577 times)

gaby63

• Sibiu, Romania
    • 01 2.2 DTI
    • View Profile
Fitting a Bose sound system in a non Bose Omega
« on: 20 September 2011, 14:47:27 »

Hello to everyone.
I would like to fit in a Bose sound system. The fact is that I have now an aftermarket 2DIN DVD+GPS+etc. HU. Does anyone  know the Bose amp specifications & connections (to sort out in which way to feed the amp or whether this would be possible at all). I assume that with a proper sound signal feed of the Bose amp there will be no issues downstream up to the (Bose) speakers.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting a Bose sound system in a non Bose Omega
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2011, 14:50:45 »

Bose speakers, amp and loom must be driven from a Bose H/U which is 4 Ohm, after market head units are not compatible with Bose.

Whilst I like the Bose sound and factory fit look, if you looking at spending money to upgrade, you could obtain better results with modern speakers for same if not less cost.

Sure DaveDND can suggest something appropriate  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2011, 15:04:28 »

Bose in fact uses 2 ohm speakers so you would need to replace every speaker in the car as a Bose amp is not going to give an acceptable volume level into more commonplace 4 ohm speakers.

Bose amp can't easily be driven by an aftermarket head unit either as it's neither a line level nor speaker level input.

As you're starting from a non-Bose car anyway, I agree that you can do much better by buying an aftermarket amp and a decent set of speakers.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2011, 15:10:55 »

D'oh Sorry forgot it was 2 not 4,  :-[

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2011, 15:35:52 »

Bose in fact uses 2 ohm speakers so you would need to replace every speaker in the car as a Bose amp is not going to give an acceptable volume level into more commonplace 4 ohm speakers.

Bose amp can't easily be driven by an aftermarket head unit either as it's neither a line level nor speaker level input.

As you're starting from a non-Bose car anyway, I agree that you can do much better by buying an aftermarket amp and a decent set of speakers.
It can.....with a few resistors  :y

albitz

« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2011, 15:40:06 »

Interesting. Any details (in laymans terms) of how to go about this please Mark. :-/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2011, 16:23:47 »

It can.....with a few resistors  :y

Yes, that's true. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2011, 16:53:31 »

It can.....with a few resistors 

To be fair though, that is way beyond the scope of most people who are reading this

::) :-X
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2011, 16:54:56 »

It can.....with a few resistors 

To be fair though, that is way beyond the scope of most people who are reading this

::) :-X

Just pass the gaffer tape......  :D  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 20 September 2011, 16:55:11 by tunnie »

albitz

« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2011, 17:55:43 »

Its way beyond my scope too, but I work with people who could do it quite easily.Thats why Im interested in the details. :)

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2011, 11:22:30 »

Gaby, if you are looking to upgrade to Bose and want to get back to a standard factory look, you could always buy the full system, ie. NCDCxxxx headunit, CID screen, full Bose loom, amp and speakers.

However, if you want to keep your current aftermarket headunit, you'll find it much easier to go down the traditional route of aftermarket speakers and (depending on the power output of the headunit) aftermarket amps.

HTH  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

gaby63

• Sibiu, Romania
    • 01 2.2 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2011, 14:19:10 »

Ok, thank you all for your replies. So good to receive proper advice! :)
It looks that I'll stick to the aftermarket system. The HU has an output power of 4x45 W (that's what they say :)) and sounds pretty well (all speakers replaced already with Magnat 75W each and extra, an amplified Kicker subwoofer - 280 W; original tweeters are in place). I think that's enough for normal listening. But it's not "original" Omega... :(.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2011, 15:52:36 »

Ok, thank you all for your replies. So good to receive proper advice! :)
It looks that I'll stick to the aftermarket system. The HU has an output power of 4x45 W (that's what they say :)) and sounds pretty well (all speakers replaced already with Magnat 75W each and extra, an amplified Kicker subwoofer - 280 W; original tweeters are in place). I think that's enough for normal listening. But it's not "original" Omega... :(.

the BOSE will NEVER sound as good as the Magnat setup you have there - however, if you really did want to compromise on sound quality a little in order to get an original looking head unit, you could use any of the Non-Bose Vauxhall head units and fit a small 4x60W amp to drive the Magnat speakers that you have hidden away. From the outside, it would then look original

:y
www.dndservices.co.uk

Osprey

• Redhill, Surrey
  • Drink up. The world's about to end.
    • 01 2.6 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2011, 17:36:59 »

Have you heard a Bose system in action?  I ask because I have lived with one for a while now and I would say it is good but not wonderful.  In fact I really can't see what all the fuss is about.  I would advise you to have a good listen to your kind of music on an existing Bose system, under various driving conditions, before you commit to major audio transplant surgery. 

Obviously tastes differ, but my goal is simply that the sound I hear in the car should be the same as the original performance.  The Bose is not too bad at this but certainly not Hi-Fi.  I don't care about deafening volume levels but you definitely won't get these out of a Bose either. 

Sounds like good advice from Dave DND.  As usual  :y

I feel like a military academy. Bits of me keep passing out.

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2011, 20:56:45 »

tbh ive got it in my MV6 the double din setup you mention minus the @GPS Navigation its not upto much! i even retrofitted a CCRT700 into my old 3.0 MV6 and it was good but i then hanged the headunit for after market setup and butchered an Audi BOSE conversion loom which had resistors in it  ::)

its not worth the hassle vs cost you can get Infinity component speakers which produce much much better sound than bose and with an active sub in the omegas vast boot you have a pretty descent sounding setup you can even get head-units with integrated navigation i know the AVIC X1R is one of the best but they're quite pricey!!!!

BMW OEM speakers sound much better than the BOSE system and they have no power amp or subs lol!!

I will be buying door speaker adaptors and fitting my Infitity components in my 3.2 with my Vibe sub a setup that will honestly produce much much better sound than BOSE

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2011, 20:59:23 »

Should also add its not atall very loud either and it distorts at loud volumes anyway!

Martin_1962

« Reply #16 on: 22 September 2011, 10:47:55 »

I have Infinity component speakers and an amp off Freecycle (some odd make DaveDND knows of) Head unit looks out of place as it is silver. Sony MD.

Martin_1962

« Reply #17 on: 22 September 2011, 10:48:45 »

MAC Audio

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #18 on: 22 September 2011, 12:13:03 »

MAC Audio

A brand that never really made it big over here, despite all of my attempts as a dealer way back in the nineties - but very nice amps though !!

:y
www.dndservices.co.uk

lozzy

• Irmscher UK Sales and Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 September 2011, 13:29:04 »

OEM Intigration is really easy now there are loads of units that will latch on to the existing Vauxhall Unit

at Some point this will be happening to ur insignia in the fleet
Irmscher UK Sales and Support

1 Omega Estate 100 speakers :D

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #20 on: 28 September 2011, 13:36:00 »

OEM Intigration is really easy now there are loads of units that will latch on to the existing Vauxhall Unit

at Some point this will be happening to ur insignia in the fleet

Whilst this is very easy for new and modern models, do not be under any illusion that the manufacturers will waste their time and valuable research budgets on a 20 year old vehicle.

If it hasn`t been made for the Omega by now, there is little chance that it will be - as now too small a market.

:'(
www.dndservices.co.uk

Blackie_No1

• Ballyclare N.Ireland
    • Omega Elite 2.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 September 2011, 00:16:14 »

Individual opinions are great here, but in my opinion I am more than impressed with the BOSE system fitted to my mig. It's more than loud enough for me and like any sound system, if you set the levels correctly you will get little or no distortion.

Don't forget that the BOSE system is speed sensitive and will adjust the volume accordingly.
2000 Omega Elite 2.5 V6

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #22 on: 30 September 2011, 03:00:46 »

it is one of the things i miss about my previous migs, which have all been bose equipped elites....    Dark side of the moon on a Bose system is joyous....   

on the vanilla NCDC2013 in my MV6?     flat, dull, lifeless, and frankly, with no welly.

if it wasn;t for the sat nav , which i like,   and the appearance, which i also prefer....    i'd have the thing out and replace the lot....   OR add Bose system components.... (which i may yet be able to do....   brother in law may be scrapping his elite....   ;)  )

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

gaby63

• Sibiu, Romania
    • 01 2.2 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 October 2011, 13:08:22 »

Like I sad already, I have a 2DIN OEM HU with GPS, designed for Astra H or Vectra C. It fits perfectly into the Miggy's dash, the color is a bit lighter grey than the original HU, the only thing is that the driving wheel controls are not functioning (the HU has a CAN interface for Vectra C and Astra H - also bord computer messages are displayed only on the Miggy's original MID). It has a nice 6.2" touch screen. I have to stick to it mainly due to the fact that there are no (& there will not be) maps  for Eastern Europe. Also, the HU has all modern things like Bluetooth, mp3, mp4, DVD, micro SD card slot, USB connector, iPod connector & a rear camera input which looks very nice on the screen  :). And audio/video output for additional screens, 2 channel function for instance for navigation on the main screen (while listening to music) &  listening to music or watching a film on the additional screens.

It works well on navigation - no TMC  :(, music (4x45 W output) & movies but it is weaker than the original HU on radio, mainly on RDS.

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 October 2011, 20:46:16 »

oh is this a non GM head unit?

Vectra C uses CAN-BUS for everything as far as radio goes same for Astra H iirc

the BOSE is poor guys honestly compare it to what even halfords sell and it is very poor indeed as i say  a standard BMW stereo will out perform the bose system the same fgor many other manufacturers Mazdas have good speakers in them as-well thatll out do that Bose setup

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #25 on: 04 October 2011, 08:46:17 »

oh is this a non GM head unit?

I reckon it may be a Vx dedicated fitment aftermarket stereo, but doubt very much that it will be an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) one.

There are several about that may physically fit but can be diffucult to push into the dash due to the amount of wiring coming out of the rear.

This sort of thing for instance

http://www.dndservices.co.uk/am-opdd.html
www.dndservices.co.uk

gaby63

• Sibiu, Romania
    • 01 2.2 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 October 2011, 11:51:00 »

Yes Sir, it is almost the thing showed in the link, but is a newer model (it has two micro SD slots - one for Nav software & the other one for music, movies, etc.). And YES, it fits in the dash but you have to struggle to the huge amount of wires in the back! :). AND the price is MUCH lower than 1k Euro+ as it is shown for the one in the link. Of course it is not a OEM product (uhhh, English acronyms), my mistake! :(

gaby63

• Sibiu, Romania
    • 01 2.2 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 October 2011, 12:12:13 »

Correct: Aftermarket HU :). From China!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.