Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Court Summons - TV Licence Evasion  (Read 4148 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Court Summons - TV Licence Evasion
« on: 12 January 2012, 20:31:59 »

We moved into our new property in May 2011. We never watch TV at home, due to shifts etc.

Despite telling them I don't need one, I had a brief letter a few months ago, from TV licencing, to the effect of "if you're receiving TV, you must have a licence"

Well - we're not - so I didn't do anything.

Few weeks later - another letter. "We haven't heard from you, so we're sending an "enforcement officer" to your property to check you're not watching TV.

"Fine" I thought - send 'em round, it'll be a wasted trip.

A few more weeks, and another one drops on the doorstep...

"As you haven't purchased a TV licence, you will be required to attend court. You are allowed to bring this document to the hearing with you, you may have a legal rep, blah...."

"Evidence gathered from our enforcement officer will be presented to the court, who will use this information to determine the penalty you will pay for licence evasion"

FINE!! You're clearly not going to listen when I tell you I don't need a licence, so let's have the summons. When I'm found not guilty, I'll have costs from you too, please!!

It wasn't actually a formal summons, but was very cleverly worded, which would worry most law abiding people unfamiliar with courts.

I seem to recall they tried to bully someone else here too? Winkers.

jonnycool

• Omega Baron
  • Merthyr Tydfil, S. Wales
  • We shag 'em, you eat 'em
    • View Profile
Re: Court Summons - TV Licence Evasion
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2012, 20:36:04 »

You don't watch telly? Freak  ;D
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't for you

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2012, 20:39:36 »

My daughter who doesn't have a TV, got the same for a while. She contacted them, told them, politely but firmly SHE DIDN'T HAVE A TV AND TO STOP BOTHERING HER. That worked  :y

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2012, 20:45:51 »

Did you make any written reply to their letters James?

wakeyomega

• Intermediate Member
  • Wakefield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2012, 20:47:32 »

TV Licensing are a very aggresive and bullying organisation. My wife has been trying to sell her deceased parents home for 3 years now. Its been empty since day one, and Tv licencing have been informed (many times), yet they still send county court order threats almost monthly. Luckily she is robust and just laughs, but many people would get very stressed. There have been several TV programs about how agressive they are. Simply make sure you have clear evidence that you have told them you don't need one - then use the letters for a nice warm fire!!
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2012, 20:47:57 »

Did you make any written reply to their letters James?

Yep ;)

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2012, 20:49:46 »

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2012, 20:52:26 »

They came here a while ago. i told them I've just moved back home after bein.g away and shut the door. Bbc should be pay per view like sky. i wouldn't bother with them then.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2012, 20:53:38 »

They can come in for a cuppa for all I care :D I'm not going to be rude to them, but I'll certainly point out that no TV is connected to any arials etc... :)

albitz

« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2012, 21:22:28 »

Just over a year ago I had a long winded episode with them,which involved them rejecting (for reasons I never quite fathomed) my attempts at paying for my TV licence,the paperwork got so complicated that in the end they sent me two licences and then still sent me letters threatening me with court if I didnt purchase one - useless remedials. ;D

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2012, 23:56:31 »

They can come in for a cuppa for all I care :D I'm not going to be rude to them, but I'll certainly point out that no TV is connected to any arials etc... :)
[/highlight]

I'm not sure whether a TV on the premises means a licence is required. :-\
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2012, 23:59:21 »

If you are still a proby you better make sure that you get it right or you are into P45 territory..... :-X

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2012, 00:04:42 »

And, as I understand it, no computer equipment as this is capable of watching TV now or past, an area that i feel needs some clarification for those who do not, genuinely, do not watch any TV........... :-\ :-\ :-\

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2012, 00:05:16 »

if you OWN a tv, capable of receiving broadcasts, you need a license,  whether or not it is tuned in, connected to an aerial , you never watch it or what.... 

sorry mate.....   

theoretically, this would also apply if you have a freeview USB stick, or other such means of receiving broadcasts on a computer as opposed to a TV.

even if you never watch tv,

even if it is only connected to a playstation,  or a vcr.....    etc etc......

the BBC i'll defend to my death,

TV licensing authority on the other hand are a bunch of bullying antisocial wassocks that need a kick in the teeth.
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2012, 00:08:52 »

if you OWN a tv, capable of receiving broadcasts, you need a license,  whether or not it is tuned in, connected to an aerial , you never watch it or what....   ...

what about if you owned an analogue telly in a  digital area and didn't have a set-top box?  ;) ;) ;)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 January 2012, 00:10:38 »

if you OWN a tv, capable of receiving broadcasts, you need a license,  whether or not it is tuned in, connected to an aerial , you never watch it or what....   ...

what about if you owned an analogue telly in a  digital area and didn't have a set-top box?  ;) ;) ;)
Cue entrance of M'Sieu Le Pedant......   8) ;D :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 January 2012, 00:15:16 »

Oh cont-rare (sp?) It was a genuine question. If I had an old set I wanted to use for an XBox/game box etc would I need a licence for it?  :-\ :-\  :P

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 January 2012, 00:17:33 »

Monge toot Rodders, monge toot.....  ;D

Wonder if the OP has that combination?  Bet he or his other half watches Corrie or nobenders or udderdale or summat anyhow....   ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 January 2012, 00:19:46 »

Monge toot Rodders, monge toot.....  ;D

Wonder if the OP has that combination?  Bet he or his other half watches Corrie or nobenders or udderdale or summat anyhow....   ;D

Pretty sure you technically need a licence to watch BBCi on your PC/lap top  :-\ :-\ :-\

Liberty_2012

• Dudley
    • Omega
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 13 January 2012, 00:51:37 by Liberty_2012 »

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 January 2012, 00:53:07 »

The fact that you own a working TV is a requirement for a licence.

I got caught many years ago, I used all the excuses in the world as I did not watch TV at the time but it was explained to me that if the mains lead was cut off at the set and the ***????? aeriel RF connector thingy had been removed then no licence required.

I then went for the PCTV card arguement and allthough she couldnt replay with a proper answer she swiftly asked, is it capable of recieving BBC1 or 2, I have paid a monthly fee from that day to this.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 January 2012, 01:34:05 »

Oh cont-rare (sp?) It was a genuine question. If I had an old set I wanted to use for an XBox/game box etc would I need a licence for it?  :-\ :-\  :P

au contraire :y
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 January 2012, 01:59:58 »

going back about 10 years i never had a tv licence i never watched it just used the tv for dvds...someone actually came round in the end and i let them in they saw there was no airel feed to to the tv it was just connect to a dvd player. There was not actually a conectable airel cable to be fair it was just a cut off cable hanging out the wall

they never took it any further the guy actually said they could only take it further if he could proove i was able to receive the bbc on my television...how true that is today i dont know....have to have a licence now  i got a wifey tv is on all the time ;D ;D

cleggy

« Reply #23 on: 13 January 2012, 03:08:16 »

http://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/index.php  Good info on this site  :y

Legal framework : http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16/

So I take it that you don't need a licence to watch IPlayer or other playback service ;)

Shelby

• Intermediate Member
  • Sleaford, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 January 2012, 08:45:16 »

http://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/index.php  Good info on this site  :y

Legal framework : http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-legal-framework-AB16/

So I take it that you don't need a licence to watch IPlayer or other playback service ;)

I believe, if you have the means to watch TV, be that with a TV, PC, Laptop, etc. then you need a license.  I don't think it is required to watch things that are stored / streamed at the user request like BBC iplayer, if it was a 'live stream' of a BBC channel you would need a license.

This is where it gets horribly grey because it comes down to haveing the means to watch not if you actually do or not.  It's arguable but I can also understand (to a degree) why they went down that route.  If it stated that you have to actually watch it for the fee to be enforceable then obviously, everyone wouldn't pay and would just deny they watch.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2012, 08:47:18 by Shelby »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 January 2012, 09:36:28 »

if you OWN a tv, capable of receiving broadcasts, you need a license,  whether or not it is tuned in, connected to an aerial , you never watch it or what.... 

Sorry Max, don't agree with that....

I've been considering ditching TV license, as I have to use Virgin Media at my flat. I rarely actually use their TV services, so considering removing that and going internet only on my package. (roof is rented to o2, so no dishes allowed)

To watch iPlayer, from their own rules state that if you are watching a VOD clip (Video on Demand) & not a live broadcast, you don't need a license:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_tv_progs/tvlicence

"You do not need a television licence to catch-up on television programmes in BBC iPlayer"

Now I can get SkyGo through my Xbox, which gives me around 50 channels at the moment, and around 500 movies, more channels due to be launched soon.

So that, plus ITV, C4, Five and iPlayers VOD services, I don't need TV License. Infact I very, very rarely watch live, its often a few days after its broadcast.

My flat was built in 1936, there is no internal wiring for a TV Ariel. So I am incapable of getting a digital or analogue TV signal, I would have to buy one and stick it on the wall outside (which is not allowed as its a listed building)

I also know quite a few people who have done the same & have been doing it for years!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 January 2012, 09:52:16 »

Sorry Max, don't agree with that....

I've been considering ditching TV license, as I have to use Virgin Media at my flat. I rarely actually use their TV services, so considering removing that and going internet only on my package. (roof is rented to o2, so no dishes allowed)

To watch iPlayer, from their own rules state that if you are watching a VOD clip (Video on Demand) & not a live broadcast, you don't need a license:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_tv_progs/tvlicence

"You do not need a television licence to catch-up on television programmes in BBC iPlayer"

Now I can get SkyGo through my Xbox, which gives me around 50 channels at the moment, and around 500 movies, more channels due to be launched soon.

So that, plus ITV, C4, Five and iPlayers VOD services, I don't need TV License. Infact I very, very rarely watch live, its often a few days after its broadcast.

My flat was built in 1936, there is no internal wiring for a TV Ariel. So I am incapable of getting a digital or analogue TV signal, I would have to buy one and stick it on the wall outside (which is not allowed as its a listed building)

I also know quite a few people who have done the same & have been doing it for years!

XBox requires a TV unless I'm mistaken, hence TV license required.

I don't think the argument that yes, you have a TV but there's no antenna connected, will wash. ;D

This is where it gets horribly grey because it comes down to haveing the means to watch not if you actually do or not.  It's arguable but I can also understand (to a degree) why they went down that route.  If it stated that you have to actually watch it for the fee to be enforceable then obviously, everyone wouldn't pay and would just deny they watch.

On the other hand, there are many valid reasons for buying a computer, for example, that don't require a TV license. It's not a product specifically designed for watching TV, it can do a very poor job of it, like a mobile phone. I'm sitting in an office surrounded by the things. No TV license required here.

I had a period without a TV back in the '90's and kept getting increasingly threatening letters, worded on the presumption that I were a criminal. I sent a polite but very strongly worded letter back to them explaining that I didn't appreciate them wasting public money on a campaign of harassment. Got a written apology back, then decided to get a TV after all about 6 months later. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 January 2012, 09:56:09 »

XBox requires a TV unless I'm mistaken, hence TV license required.

I don't think the argument that yes, you have a TV but there's no antenna connected, will wash. ;D

How does that work then? BBC are planning to release an Xbox iPlayer App soon, but its still same rules as iPlayer, VOD clips only = no license?

I could also state that no I don't have a TV, its a very large computer monitor  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 January 2012, 09:59:12 »

I could also state that no I don't have a TV, its a very large computer monitor  ;D

If it doesn't contain a tuner and you don't own a TV card, set top box, etc. then you might get away with it.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 January 2012, 10:00:17 »

My understanding is that a TV license is required to view programs as they are broadcast.

This is true of all channels and includes programs broadcast across the internet.

This is also why the likes of iplayer are excluded as they are not viewed as they are broadcast.

The key thing to remember is that the license is not there to give you the right to watch the bbc (even though that is where most of the funding goes), its there to give you the right to view as broadcast media in the UK be it on a phone, Tv, laptop etc.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13 January 2012, 10:17:55 »

My understanding is that a TV license is required to view programs as they are broadcast.

This is true of all channels and includes programs broadcast across the internet.

This is also why the likes of iplayer are excluded as they are not viewed as they are broadcast.

Nail. Head.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Shelby

• Intermediate Member
  • Sleaford, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 January 2012, 12:11:51 »

The key thing to remember is that the license is not there to give you the right to watch the bbc (even though that is where most of the funding goes), its there to give you the right to view as broadcast media in the UK be it on a phone, Tv, laptop etc.

Sounds about right  :y If you have the means to watch anything as it is broadcast (whether you actually do or not) a license is required.

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 January 2012, 13:24:19 »

sorry mate.....   

theoretically, this would also apply if you have a freeview USB stick, or other such means of receiving broadcasts on a computer as opposed to a TV.

even if you never watch tv,

even if it is only connected to a playstation,  or a vcr.....    etc etc......

the BBC i'll defend to my death,

TV licensing authority on the other hand are a bunch of bullying antisocial wassocks that need a kick in the teeth.

why?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 January 2012, 19:58:10 »

you better make sure that you get it right or you are into P45 territory..... :-X

B.. my comments were light hearted, slightly sarcastic remarks in a forum rant... there is no way, in the real world, I am going to wind up in court :)

At most, I will write to the TV people again, to make them aware politely that we don't require one...

sorry mate.....   

Max V6 - By having a TV in the house, on which only purchased DVDs are watched, categorically does not require a TV licence. :y

To quote the TV licencing website:

" If you don’t watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV, on any device, you don’t need a TV Licence. "

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

This fits my criteria. I am not watching or recording ANY TV. We simply watch our own, purchased, DVDs.

I'm committing no offence - there is no areal or lead in my property.

As I said before - they're welcome to come and see  :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 January 2012, 20:10:56 »

Well, their website is obviously given more attention than any letters they're sent! It's actually quite good. Enabled me to make the declaration that I don't need one, online, within a few clicks! Hopefully this is the matter resolved!!  :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 January 2012, 20:49:04 »

So you have to make a SORN declaration if you don't have a TV now, instead of quietly getting on with your life? >:(

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 13 January 2012, 21:49:16 »

So you have to make a SORN declaration if you don't have a TV now, instead of quietly getting on with your life? >:(

Yeah I know!  >:(

What the hell's going on, they're not even a regulatory body or government agency or anything like that, just a private firm tasked by the BBC to get the TV tax licence fee.

I've had trouble with them before. I sent them a recorded delivery letter telling them it appears I am more familiar with the Communications Act 2003, and that I will remove any licencing 'officer' (that's an overused word now), from my property if they knock again.

One of my dads old tenants was an old man with learning difficulties, no family, lived in a bedsit, simple life. He was hounded by them, my dad tried to tell them, and they said that they would stop sending letters for 6 months - bloody stupid. The guy didn't have a tv, just a radio. Because he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box he even pulled the tv cable out the wall thinking that would stop the harassment - it didn't.

At the height of the this problem he was found in the river.

Of course it can't be proven that he killed himself because of this, but I know what I think.
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

Omega32E

• Leicestershire
    • Omega 3.2 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 January 2012, 22:07:12 »

Think MDTM hit the nail on the head, rest of the answers are here

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Questions%20and%20answers.htm
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.