Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cars for sale  (Read 2283 times)

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
Re: Cars for sale
« Reply #15 on: 08 November 2009, 18:04:26 »

I sell cars to earn a living, and I do list cars on here. But I certainly hope no one things I just use this forum for that. As a seller, I have no problem with people commenting on my ads...even if that's in the form of a negative comment. People's opinions are important. I sold my 2.2 CDX with 36k for £2460...it was advertised at £2700. There was an equal bunch or replies saying that's 'well overpriced', and some saying 'that's a good price...good luck.' If I had a problem with people expressing their thoughts about a car I was selling, I'd have to think hard and long about what I'm doing. I'm desperately trying to shirt the 2.6 Elite I've got, and for example webby23 provided some honest, helpful comments which I appreciated. If someone simply wrote, 'it's way to expensive' I'd think well, that's not particularly helpful...you've got to at least provide some evidence to back up your point. But I'd never have an issue with that person, life's too short. It's the same as if I came into their office and told them they're working too slowly, or that their work isn't good enough without providing at least a valid point to back that up. And I do agree, that an advert should be as full as possible. The advert for the 2.6 Elite has as many details as I could think of and pictures. However, the 3.2 elite estate has few details...simply because I don't know any more. The vehicle isn't with me yet. It's sheer bone idle I think to advertise a car with few details if you have those details to hand.

waspy

« Reply #16 on: 08 November 2009, 18:22:09 »

The fact remains the same- Someone would like to sell their car & other folk picking fault with it may put some one off, so it goes for a lot less or worse unsold.
Like what's been mentioned already "if you're invited to comment then do so, but if not, don't".
Would you ring up an advertiser in Auto Trader & say "your cars way too expensive. Oh that's crap & blah blah" I think not, you'd soon get told to break off, so why on a forum.
I'd certainly tell you to break off.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2009, 18:26:43 »

I'm in agreement with Tunnie.

This is a forum - and by very nature, people can therefore comment on any thread they wish, as long as it's relevent to the original topic.

If you're saying this shouldn't be possible, then why not have all for-sale threads "locked" after the first post, and people can then PM the seller for more info.

I don't think that should happen - but, it's the only way you'll stop people expressing their opinions.

On a forum, they have a right to make whatever comments lthey like, as long as it's civil - as much as you have a right to tell them to break-off....  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2009, 18:29:05 »

I'm in agreement with Tunnie.

This is a forum - and by very nature, people can therefore comment on any thread they wish, as long as it's relevent to the original topic.

If you're saying this shouldn't be possible, then why not have all for-sale threads "locked" after the first post, and people can then PM the seller for more info.

I don't think that should happen - but, it's the only way you'll stop people expressing their opinions.

On a forum, they have a right to make whatever comments lthey like, as long as it's civil - as much as you have a right to tell them to break-off....  :y

Thats a good point, infact, lets lock all threads as soon as they are started so no one can discuss anything, no one gets the hump  ;D

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 November 2009, 18:32:08 »

I agree, to an extent, that anyone can respond to any post.  I also agree that such responses should be both pertinant and relevant to the thread in question, avoiding simple 'its too dear/tatty/non standard/chavved up' comments without anything to back such comments up.

Also agree that a seller has an equal right to respond to negative comments but I would also ask that you consider the following....

Would you rather view a forum thats relatively civilised or one which, once a negative post or three is added, quickly degenerates into a slanging match?

Its a fine line the admins/mods have to keep and hopefully the majority appreciate whats being attempted.

GenChat is where posts can and often do (expectedly) go waaaay off from the original post but I feel that a for sale thread should be more succinct and to the (original) point.

/my tuppence worth....   :y
« Last Edit: 08 November 2009, 18:37:38 by hotel21 »

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 November 2009, 19:00:06 »

At the end of the day there a 3 values on any one car.

What value the seller see's it at.

The value the buyer see's it at.

The 3rd value is the one the buyer agrees to pay the seller and if all is well they both walk away with a smile.

Sadly not all sales are equal, this is where the little black book comes in with the 3 values of retail, trade and poor.

Having been in a trade where I have seen the motor trade at work you soon realise they buy according to one book and sell according to annother.  Neither of which take into account a new mot, a full set of new boots, a new water pump and timing kit, a pair of new rocker gaskets and a trip to WIM after having a set of 20" snow flakes fitted with the afore mentioned bootis or even the full lifetime warrantied stanless exhaust system.

This is why pictures, an excellent descriptition and as much history as possible are a must.

« Last Edit: 08 November 2009, 19:01:29 by skruntie »
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 November 2009, 17:51:04 »

All valid points on there own merit, both 'for' & 'against' and well put by each & every poster. Isn't that how it should be? :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.