Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Does spinning the oil filter housing damage it  (Read 2842 times)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: Does spinning the oil filter housing damage it
« Reply #15 on: 29 March 2023, 20:17:49 »

I only use a band type filter wrench as a 'belt and braces' approach, as on the 1st filter change on my 2.6 after I bought it many years ago, I felt the housing move slightly as I was undoing the cap. I tightened the housing up slightly just in case, and it's not been a problem since, but I have used the band wrench on all my cars just to reduce any further possibility of them ever twisting.
After all, about a couple minutes extra time to get the  band wrench out along with the flexi head spanner and fit it is hardly worth NOT doing....
And with most filters, cartridge or canister, irrespective of how hand tight you fit them having lubricating the seal, they alway still seem a lot tighter on removal......
I have some original GM adapters that I got years ago with the intention of changing the cars to 'spin on' filters, but as I've never had any issues with the original paper element type, I've not bothered.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

mattbearman

• Devon
    • Omega 2.6 estate
    • View Profile
Re: Does spinning the oil filter housing damage it
« Reply #16 on: 30 March 2023, 16:27:27 »

I’ve decided to just go ahead and change to a spin on. I’d be happy to keep the paper filter if the lid wasn’t already stuck on. Any one need a paper filter? I’ve now got one that I won’t be using  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.