Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overheating?  (Read 927 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Overheating?
« on: 07 May 2023, 10:35:57 »

We have gone away for five weeks to Northern Spain. Had the 2.0 Golf diesel serviced week before and checked levels before setting off. First day was cruising at 80 mph on motorways. Did about 360 miles. Car loaded up, aircon on as ever. Ambient temperature was a record scorching 38C ( for April). The journey included crawling through Seville.

Got to our hotel and only later in evening, did I spot a problem. Streaks of liquid stain radiating out from front passenger wheel rim and onto the tyres. At first, I thought it must be brake fluid but concluded it was likely coolant.

Left hotel and headed to nearest garage to buy 5 litres of coolant as the header tank was empty. Still no warning lights on dash to say coolant low. After a mile the warning light came on and went off when I topped header up. It only took about half a pint. Put car through their car wash ( so tyre was clean in case problem repeated) and then set off gently north. No repair garages open as it was May Day holiday weekend.

Did about 100 or so miles and found a hotel for two nights. Checked coolant level next morning and put a cupful in. That was the last time I needed to top it up. Since then we have done another 650 miles including motorway cruising but with outside temperatures lower.

When we get back next month, I will have to get the car looked at.

In the meantime, any ideas as to what the issue might be? Would there be any codes? Could it be that old favourite of faulty thermostat? I am thinking that maybe the radiator has some sludge which is reducing cooling efficiency but isn't evident under normal driving even in our murderous summer heat. It is after all a nine year, 115 k miles old car .

I cannot see any stain from a leak from header tank or the network of pipes but like all modern cars you cannot see much. Oil temperature , when warm, is exactly the same as it has always been.

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Overheating?
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2023, 10:42:40 »

Had a similar thing on my Vectra. Turned out that the crappy after market expansion tank cap i had fitted was slowly disintegrating. Put a genuine one on, no probs so far. Mind you, haven't had the same temps that you've had over there.  ;)
Just to add, had a new tank fitted too, just in case.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2023, 10:44:11 by ronnyd »

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2023, 11:09:53 »

Airlock?
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2023, 11:30:54 »

The header tank has an overflow built into the neck, (same with the Vectrum), stands to reason that it got warm enough to expand to a point where a load expanded out. Once clear of the traffic, then airflow would have helped keep the engine temp happy.

Applied physics.

Now you know it does it, keep a litre (or two) of ready mixed in the spare wheel well.
Onanists always think outside the box.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2023, 12:49:12 »

Yeah Doc, always carry a box of spare fluids in the boot, as you never know. Also have a spare petrol and coolant cap too.  :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2023, 12:25:11 »

Thanks  :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2023, 07:51:54 »

So I am not aligned to any of the above  :D

If its got to a temperature where the pressure relief releases, its working beyond its design limits so there is something a miss. The expension is designed to be taken up in the air gap in the header tank, if this over pressures then there is either a circulation issue or a cooling issue.

I would be checking fan operation, water pump (which are pretty weak on these engines) and state of the front rads for airflow

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2023, 10:27:30 »

And make sure you're not overfilling the expansion tank, which I'm sure you're not.
Diesel till I die

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2023, 11:18:25 »

And make sure you're not overfilling the expansion tank, which I'm sure you're not.
                Good point but he had just had it serviced maybe the garage topped it up a bit too much.
Laying a rubber road.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2023, 22:07:38 »

Good points. Sadly I never checked if it was too full.

Water pump was changed at last cambelt.

I am thinking that jt maybe the rad partially obstructed ( dead insects or sludge inside) and normally no issues but under load and fairly extreme conditions….. could be a lazy fan operation.

Do they have stored codes for such things or is it only a really skilled dealer worker that would work it out.? I remember our first Omega ran perfectly fine until we stuck a tin tent behind it! A new rad fixed that problem ( whatever it was).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.