Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 03 2.5L Diesel Transit problem  (Read 1618 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
03 2.5L Diesel Transit problem
« on: 14 August 2012, 23:13:43 »

My daughters partner has this twin cab Transit and went down to Cornwall at the weekend and broke down of the way back.

The problem was a blocked fuel filter. He has replaced this, but by not Googling how to fit it first, he didn't bother to fill it with diesel before fitting. The end result is a fuel line airlock.

From what I read these are a pig to get rid of. He has tried loosening all four pipes to the injectors and turning over the engine, and then tightening as fuel is pumped through but has had no success in starting it.

Any suggestions gratefully received?

Is there also a tank filter to stop pump damage? As lack of fuel flow might be the problem?
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: 03 2.5L Diesel Transit problem
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2012, 23:22:08 »

They are a complete pig... I encounter them frequently when doing fuel drains ::)

2 options really... Firstly (for both) ensure the filter is full of diesel now and not been over tightened (they shouldn't actually be very tight, they (normally) kind of click on and that's it). Then leave the ignition on for about 5 mins, a few times.

Option 1: put a pump on the return line and draw fuel through while cranking the engine. Do this until it starts and then wait for all air to come out before switching off and reconnecting pipes. This probably won't be an easy option for DIY as few people have a powerful enough pump!

Option 2: tow start it! You'll need to tow it for (probably) a couple of miles at around 20mph with periodically trying to "bump" it in 3rd or even 4th gear. It will go eventually ;)

Where is the van? I might be able to get someone to help, although he may well want to charge for his time.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2012, 23:23:49 by Lazydocker »
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2012, 00:21:49 »

I normally use an air operated vac brake bleeder to prime the system,obviously no good unless near a compressed air source :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2012, 16:20:45 »

They are a complete pig... I encounter them frequently when doing fuel drains ::)

2 options really... Firstly (for both) ensure the filter is full of diesel now and not been over tightened (they shouldn't actually be very tight, they (normally) kind of click on and that's it). Then leave the ignition on for about 5 mins, a few times.

Option 1: put a pump on the return line and draw fuel through while cranking the engine. Do this until it starts and then wait for all air to come out before switching off and reconnecting pipes. This probably won't be an easy option for DIY as few people have a powerful enough pump!

Option 2: tow start it! You'll need to tow it for (probably) a couple of miles at around 20mph with periodically trying to "bump" it in 3rd or even 4th gear. It will go eventually ;)

Where is the van? I might be able to get someone to help, although he may well want to charge for his time.

Thanks for the advice.

They are based in Fleet Hampshire. If they don't get it going this evening, I will pm you on whether you can help.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2012, 16:27:49 »

Just a thought, would a high pressure headlamp washer pump be powerful enough?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2012, 16:33:20 »

Just a thought, would a high pressure headlamp washer pump be powerful enough?
Potentially, but be very careful with it as the fuel may eat the seals ;)

If you have no interest in using it again then...
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2012, 22:45:16 »

Is there a shraeder valve to bleed the system? On the Mondeo Mk4 TDCi you can have immense problems bleeding the system if you change the fuel filter - but the answer is the right tools.

On the Mondeo you need to connect a vacuum pump to the schraeder valve (which is pretty accessible at the top of the engine) and suck the fuel through until all the air is gone. I fabricated something out of a bike pump hose, jam jar and a vacuum cleaner!!! Like an Easybleed in reverse and it pulled the air and fuel into the jam jar really well. Because the vacuum cleaner was plumbed in at the top of the jar it didn't see any diesel at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.