Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After market ECU  (Read 1902 times)

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
After market ECU
« on: 28 April 2020, 15:14:07 »

has anyone fitted a programable ECU to a 3L v6 ? Reason being engine is going in a hot rod and need to delete EGR and intake "flap" (no room to fit it in) . Think car was a 1988 model ? will have to see , have got chassis plate but not reg. photo of install and as you can see its a bit tight

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: After market ECU
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2020, 20:53:10 »

Afraid I can't answer your question re the ECU but the model year more likely to have been 1998 not 1988 as you put[a typo error possibly?]as the Omega B didn't come out until 1994.

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2020, 21:36:29 »

might be a 96 , have chassis no so can decode

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2020, 21:38:20 »

might be a 96 , have chassis no so can decode
There's a decoder in the FAQ's :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2020, 18:08:59 »

You're either going to have to pay someone to remap the existing ECU, or fit a generic one and pay someone to map that.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2020, 18:39:51 »

Any engine ecu, ignition transponder ring and key chip from a 2.5 or 3.0 Vectra B or Omega will see it running without issue.

That engine has successfully been dropped in to various things, including Scimitar and an MGB, so should be straightforward enough. Egr delete is also easy enough to do.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the extra 20bhp, especially as the ecu is a brick without the chip. Hopefully you have the bulk of the wiring loom to go with it.

Yes have the complete loom , will need a bit of reconfiguring but that's never been a problem for me . Worse bit is the bulkhead multi plugs as they a huge . Can get a chip for key according to local tech (the one we use at work when we cant work out faults) but reader coil has been broken .

All three parts are matched, and what you spend on programming will more than buy you a matched set ;)

Re the loom, you can readily thin it down, so plug in what you need and dump the rest. Once you have finished :D You probably won't be using the dash, so once you know what you need and that it works, you can cut the loom down to fit and bypass the plugs. ;)

The Haynes manual for the Omega covers the 3.0 wiring with proper diagrams, so shouldn't take too much head scratching ;)

This thread will probably be of interest and use...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=137211.240

The engine only needs the chip, ignition transponder, ecu and two relays to run. Of memory, there's only a handful of other wires that connect the engine to the rest of the car. Ignition 12v, temp sensor, rev counter, battery, oil emissions lights and OBD2 port from memory.

Speedo is the Blue/Red wire from the ABS ecu.

Copied over from the Hello post to avoid repeated discussion ;)

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2020, 18:48:04 »

Its a 97 . Now can I delete the vac controlled flap in intake? not sure I can fit it in , certainly not between rad and engine. Found chip reader antenna looking for chassis plate so with a chip ECU would work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2020, 19:23:31 »

You could delete it, but it will affect driveability...

Explanation of how and what here:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90513.0

Also, electrically you'll need to keep the egr solenoid which can be buried anywhere, but you can easily delete the rest of it by fitting 3.2 manifolds. Also helps freeing up exhaust flow.  :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2020, 19:57:06 »

Why not just use an ECU and Trans Chip from a Cavalier / Vectra V6, there Air Intake setup was a lot more simplier due to lack of space under the hood, you may even be able to fit there intake system depending on Year.

Can't remember if they did a Veccy 3.0 I know they did a 3.2, but a 2.5 ECU should work fine on a 3.0 and vice versa.

If it's for a Hot Rod and your not too worried about losing low end torgue you could lose the Ram Flaps as they will all be open anyway at full RPM then knock up an Intake system based on that scenario.

« Last Edit: 30 April 2020, 19:59:20 by zirk »

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2020, 20:19:36 »

One of my 3.2's has had a remap,dyno'd at 242 brake.:y

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2020, 09:03:47 »

Until I can fit bonnet I don't know how much space there is yet, build on hold at moment as rebuilding my 68 VW bay panel van . Nearly ready for paint and its turned cold and wet--------------

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2020, 11:41:31 »

You must be building a very small car if you can't fit the entire intake system. With everything fitted the engine is a similar length to a large four cylinder like a pinto. The multirams in front of the water pump can be moved as necessary as they're attached by rubber hoses. The box they, and the air flow meter, sit on is large but it can be modified - the X30 engined MGB I'm working on has replaced it with 75mm soil fittings bonded together with the guts of the AFM fitted to it on the passenger side.

If you blank the EGR valve(on the side of the plenum) but leave it connected electrically then the ECU will work fine. Same applies to the SAI, only the solenoid needs to remain. Both can be replaced with simple circuits, which is what the MGB has. It runs perfectly, without the EML illuminating.

Ian also has a 3.0l(manual) ECU working with the immobiliser bypassed as we were missing both the chip and pickup. He's now sourced a matched set, so the bypassed ECU might be for sale.

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2020, 16:00:24 »

Found the bits , the ram pipe will have to sit on top of engine with filter box on n/s . Yes it is a small engine bay , if you scroll photo it just fits between inner wings, alternator just sits above chassis . bulkhead moved back 8ins but then had to do nearly that to fit MGB engine and box!!!now just need to find some 180 bends like the Rover V8 air cleaner pipes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.