Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windscreen Scuttle  (Read 3133 times)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Windscreen Scuttle
« Reply #15 on: 26 September 2012, 21:12:17 »

I fitted an aluminium tray under part of mine to divert water from electric plugs. A nice large one might take water away from other vulnerable parts. I know it sounds daft but the whole design in this area is daft.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 September 2012, 22:17:25 »

Well I have bought large tube of Clear Silicone sealant from local fishtank shop so atleast it will be water tight. 8)

Going to apply heft bead on the curved metal firewall and squash the scuttle into it and smooth out the overspill to form seal.Then seal around both sides of the wiper spindle foam/vinyl plugs and fingers crossed that will keep the elements out.

Before all of that though need to dry out each back plug well and h.t lead as they have had a bath over the last few days .Sunshine on friday should see it get  done, i hope  ;D

albitz

« Reply #17 on: 26 September 2012, 22:21:22 »

Good luck with it Andrew. :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 September 2012, 22:24:59 »

Thanks Albs........In a previous life I fitted windows  ::) so dab hand with a silicone gun ;D ;D ;D

It will get the royal icing treatment  :D

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 September 2012, 07:39:47 »

silicone has no place on a car!! it's for the house, IMO I would invest in some sikaflex which is designed for autos and yachts, silicon absorbs moisture in it's curing process which is a good trap for rust .
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 September 2012, 09:02:42 »

Fair comment,Mr.Green,although on a 14 year old car I am more concerned about it runnung properly without a miss fire due to water ingress. ;D

Accept your comment about silicone/sikaflex but the only section of metal it will be incontact with is the curved scetion of the firewall which tends to be in a fairly warm place under the bonnet so think by the time the "tin worm" has attacked that bad enough for me to be worried the Omega will be passed caring,and me for that mater. :o

Silicone is a lot more flexible and can be applied with a thicker bead so thats my plan...just need a dry day now  :y

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 September 2012, 15:00:49 »

I flattened aluminium party plate or in my case, a section of "moisture resistant" suspended ceiling tile does the trick.

Plate sends the water else where, to run off away from plugs and dis pack, tile soaks in water then drys out under the heat of the engine.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 September 2012, 23:09:15 »

Metal party plate sounds a novel idea and think that warrants further investigation as could be used to extend the curved firewall section easily by bending and moulding to shape .

If that is then stuck to the curved section it creates a bigger lip for the plastic scuttle to sit against and given that that is then in effect up hill the water could only drain away into the bottom of the pollen filter chamber with drain and not over the dispack and leads. :-X

Good idea duggs :y

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 September 2012, 01:18:18 »

silicone has no place on a car!! it's for the house, IMO I would invest in some sikaflex which is designed for autos and yachts, silicon absorbs moisture in it's curing process which is a good trap for rust .

yes you are absolutely right I was being rather padantic there, I am in the middle of renovating a vintage caravan and the bodyshop where i have it parked always goes on about silicone on vehicles and i must say my caravan had it's fair share and it is a pita to remove!! I think that's where i picked my rant up from!!
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 September 2012, 10:10:09 »

My son tells me that there is a liquid silicone remover which works very well.

omega3000

« Reply #25 on: 28 September 2012, 18:10:11 »

Is what i done a while back , diss pack nice and dry  :)

Shove it over the diss pack then bolt down and seal around bolt ...job done .

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 September 2012, 22:28:03 »

Thats quite an enterprising design and should really be given a place on all Omegas. :y

Interesting to see a picture of the modification in situ  ;D......are you planning on marketing this very usefull accessory then as expect there is a market for it  ;)

Thanks for sharing your design and mod...much appreciated :y

omega3000

« Reply #27 on: 28 September 2012, 22:37:23 »

Thats quite an enterprising design and should really be given a place on all Omegas. :y

Interesting to see a picture of the modification in situ  ;D......are you planning on marketing this very usefull accessory then as expect there is a market for it ;)

Thanks for sharing your design and mod...much appreciated :y

;D Nah its just something i knocked up out of some spare ally plate ... i sealed the scuttle a few times and have most likely stopped most leaks  ::) just added this not long after the water destroyed the diss/pack , dont want to be climbing onto the engine again to replace that .....in fact i wouldnt be able to do it now  ::) Ill try and find the in situ picture ...

omega3000

« Reply #28 on: 28 September 2012, 23:31:31 »

Maybe not to some folks liking but it hasnt moved and has proved to deflect any droplets away keeping disspak dry  ;)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 September 2012, 09:54:09 »

Looks just like my plate perhaps we should go into business
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.