Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: budget tyres  (Read 3672 times)

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • Go faster Black MV6 Man
    • View Profile
budget tyres
« on: 09 October 2012, 19:57:29 »

Well as the cops around Herts and bucks are on a money making mission ;D due to there cut backs,I decided to invest in 2 budget tyres at £105 fitted before I end up getting nicked.Stuck these on the back and shoved the Dunlop SP 9000 up front. I was tram lining before but with the Dunlops up front the car went from not great to Bloody Horrendous :o and the whirring from Osf which I put down to a knackered tyre is much worse since the swap why is this as the Dunlops have a lot more meat on them :y
John

martin42

Re: budget tyres
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2012, 20:01:23 »

i would swap them back to the rear and have some fun with them then replace them  :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2012, 20:06:02 »

I am convinced its all down to these fancy tyre traed patterns,made in an attempt to tempt customers with a more "sexy " tread ;D

I have a set of Maxiss fitted to the front  >:(..long story but needed tyres in a hurry...and got sucked into the tyre tread design.

They are horrendous for noise and I will be glad when they either self destruct or wear out so I can justify putting something tried and tested back on ...I think a tyre pattern should be just circular grooves not these stupid V,s and deep shaped wedges.

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2012, 20:09:19 »

The front suspension due a major re build :-\ but on these Mv6s the bill is getting bigger by the week :y

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2012, 20:17:24 »

I've had some el cheapo's put on my Elite (235x45x17) for quite some time now. The rear has had the same ones on for over 40k and they've still got loads of tread.

That said, same tyres on the front, go about 15/20k. BUT at £35.00 a corner I feel I get my monies worth..especially on the rear.

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2012, 20:23:40 »

I have tyres like that on my van Pirelli Chrono they just seem to refuse to wear out :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2012, 20:24:36 »

Blimey, those SP9000 must be old :o, they haven't been made for about 3yrs

SP9000, once down to about 3mm, tramline like a barsteward.

ALWAYS the best gripping tyres on the back. That usually means, not budgets, as they tend to have fairly poor grip in the wet, sometimes going from reasonable grip to zero grip in no time.  Understeer is easier to grab than oversteer, when unexpected.
Grumpy old man

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2012, 20:34:58 »

Tell me about it gone pulling left to pulling right, the budgets where only put on as cheaper option to 6 points, thanks Tb I take your comments on grip very seriously will be driving like an old man in the wet :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2012, 20:40:00 »

Blimey, those SP9000 must be old :o , they haven't been made for about 3yrs

SP9000, once down to about 3mm, tramline like a barsteward.

ALWAYS the best gripping tyres on the back. That usually means, not budgets, as they tend to have fairly poor grip in the wet, sometimes going from reasonable grip to zero grip in no time.  Understeer is easier to grab than oversteer, when unexpected.

either these are historical or dunlop producing those tires in east cheaply :-\
http://www.ideallastik.com/dunlop_sp_9000_245_40_18.html

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2012, 20:47:15 »

Well I bought these off the local polish part worn dealer for the Mot they are probably ancient but Im learning all the time ;D

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 October 2012, 21:40:54 »

I am convinced its all down to these fancy tyre traed patterns,made in an attempt to tempt customers with a more "sexy " tread ;D

I have a set of Maxiss fitted to the front  >:(..long story but needed tyres in a hurry...and got sucked into the tyre tread design.

They are horrendous for noise and I will be glad when they either self destruct or wear out so I can justify putting something tried and tested back on ...I think a tyre pattern should be just circular grooves not these stupid V,s and deep shaped wedges.

yet i have 2 on the back and they are a good tyre..no problems at all...even with the dreadfull isle of wight roads
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 October 2012, 21:43:06 »

If you're in Bucks... get over to WIM.

Budgets on the front - fine -but get something at least half decent on the back...

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 October 2012, 21:48:46 »

If I took that over to Wim James, they'll die laughing with the state the front suspensions in wish bones shot shocks kaput and broken spring on Ns :'(

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 October 2012, 21:51:26 »

If I took that over to Wim James, they'll die laughing with the state the front suspensions in wish bones shot shocks kaput and broken spring on Ns :'(

In which case, you need to sort these issues before you get new tyres... else otherwise your new tyres won't last 5 minutes... :y :y

Edited - spelling! (you're - your)
« Last Edit: 09 October 2012, 21:53:15 by JamesV6CDX »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 October 2012, 21:51:56 »

In which case, you need to sort these issues before you get new tyres... else otherwise youre new tyres won't last 5 minutes... :y :y

Edited - spelling! (you're - your)
« Last Edit: 09 October 2012, 21:53:49 by JamesV6CDX »

tooleater

• Rickmansworth,  Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 October 2012, 21:52:33 »

Better than 6 points mate :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #16 on: 09 October 2012, 22:07:09 »

forget about the tires and people laughing ..you are playing with your life or someone else's :-\

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 October 2012, 05:37:17 »

:D
From my experience with the miggys there is not one budget tyre that is worth the risk, I tried many types before coming to my senses. Better to stick to the ones that are OEM recommended even if you have to go the 'part worn' way. At least the car will then act as it was meant to.
In reality the tyres should be changed for 'summer ones' in summer' and 'winter ones' in winter because they have different properties. An 'all weather' tyre is but a compromise between them and not all of them are good.
When tyres cause the car to have a mind of its own and an accident happens it will not be the tyres in court or paying for the damage.....
 which may well be far, far more than the tyres cost in the first place. What price safety?  :D ;)
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

scottambrose

« Reply #18 on: 10 October 2012, 09:32:57 »

what would anyone recommend then for 235 45 17's. that can be bought from ats as thats the only place where i live within about 40miles. other than national but after last time im never going there

philsteward

• Leeds, West Yorkshire
    • 2001 2.2CDX Estate LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 October 2012, 09:36:12 »

I've had some el cheapo's put on my Elite (235x45x17) for quite some time now. The rear has had the same ones on for over 40k and they've still got loads of tread.

That said, same tyres on the front, go about 15/20k. BUT at £35.00 a corner I feel I get my monies worth..especially on the rear.

What are the make of your el cheapo's?  Where did you get them from for £35 a corner, that is amazing!!

Phil

kingycos2

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 October 2012, 11:09:16 »

Doesn't matter what tyre your using with shot suspension and springs your a fool for driving the car..... Goodyear Eagle F1's are the only choice in my eyes, how ever they don't suit everyone's budget understandably.....

05omegav6

« Reply #21 on: 10 October 2012, 11:25:00 »

what would anyone recommend then for 235 45 17's. that can be bought from ats as thats the only place where i live within about 40miles. other than national but after last time im never going there
Runway Enduro 916+, they're Z rated, XL and £80ish, fitted per corner. I have found them to be good in the wet and in snow and, provided the car is properly set up, reasonably durable (20k) :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 October 2012, 18:48:23 »

Well I bought these off the local polish part worn dealer for the Mot they are probably ancient but Im learning all the time ;D
Part worn budgets.

Sorry, but I can't help it ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 October 2012, 18:50:21 »

:D
From my experience with the miggys there is not one budget tyre that is worth the risk, I tried many types before coming to my senses. Better to stick to the ones that are OEM recommended even if you have to go the 'part worn' way. At least the car will then act as it was meant to.
In reality the tyres should be changed for 'summer ones' in summer' and 'winter ones' in winter because they have different properties. An 'all weather' tyre is but a compromise between them and not all of them are good.
When tyres cause the car to have a mind of its own and an accident happens it will not be the tyres in court or paying for the damage.....
 which may well be far, far more than the tyres cost in the first place. What price safety?  :D ;)
Nexen CP641 worked well on the tractor in dry, damp, wet and snow, BUT very wet, lethal buggers.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 October 2012, 18:51:25 »

Dunlop Sport Maxx TT, but be aware of short life. Smelly stuff to a blanket though.

ATS are expensive, try a mobiile fitter ;)
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #25 on: 10 October 2012, 19:27:49 »

Doesn't matter what tyre your using with shot suspension and springs your a fool for driving the car..... Goodyear Eagle F1's are the only choice in my eyes, how ever they don't suit everyone's budget understandably.....
FYI, and anyone else reading, the op is in a bit of a predicament, he needs someone (he has asked me, but I'm tied up for at least a fortnight, possibly more) to replace his suspension for him. He needs the car, so has fitted these tyres to get by until the work has been done.

I'd recomend Daz for any car work btw.

As said though, it is always recommended to fit the best/gripiest tyres on the back. Always.

The tram lining will likely be down to the existing wear on the tyres caused by the previous cars set up, and a conflict with your current set up which is known to need attention.

OmegaGav

• Intermediate Member
  • Hemel Hempstead
  • For god sake doooo something !!!!!
    • 08' Vectra 3.0 V6 Cdti
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 October 2012, 20:07:53 »

Runway Enduro 916+, they're Z rated, XL and £80ish, fitted per corner. I have found them to be good in the wet and in snow and, provided the car is properly set up, reasonably durable (20k) :y

Ditto ! Got Enduro's on mine great tyre no problems in any weather also best grip I've had in snow  :y :y

Yes it's my M&S goulash cannon. Ready Aim Fire...!!!

feeutfo

« Reply #27 on: 10 October 2012, 20:23:04 »

Snow? An unrealistic expectation on a summer tyre IMO. Although I'd expect any tyre to behave better in snow than my preferred sc3's. Absolutely no grip at all in snow, due to the central bands tead patern no doubt. There is no cross tread at all to speak of.

In snow, abandon all hope of stopping all ye on sc3.

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 October 2012, 20:43:20 »

Sorry Phil for the delay in reply..The el cheapo's are Milanza Hero's.

In all fairness they may not be the best but the Omega is hardly a race car.....well not in my case anyway.

40k on the rear as mentioned with still quite a lot of tread left. The fronts could, i'm sure last longer but mine tends to be a bit rough
on the edges of the tyres.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 October 2012, 20:47:04 »

In all fairness they may not be the best but the Omega is hardly a race car.....well not in my case anyway.

40k on the rear as mentioned with still quite a lot of tread left. The fronts could, i'm sure last longer but mine tends to be a bit rough

I binned a brand new one of them as I found the grip level offered was too unreliable, especially in the wet ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11 October 2012, 19:55:44 »

Snow? An unrealistic expectation on a summer tyre IMO. Although I'd expect any tyre to behave better in snow than my preferred sc3's. Absolutely no grip at all in snow, due to the central bands tead patern no doubt. There is no cross tread at all to speak of.

In snow, abandon all hope of stopping all ye on sc3.
I suspect its not pattern, but an unsuitable compound.

Many tyres have a similar(ish) tread pattern and manage some semblence of grip.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 October 2012, 19:58:41 »

I binned a brand new one of them as I found the grip level offered was too unreliable, especially in the wet ::)
Which shows that recommendations (and tyre reviews!!) need to take into account driving styles.
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 October 2012, 20:20:12 »

Which shows that recommendations (and tyre reviews!!) need to take into account driving styles.
Indeed... You know that my style is somewhat "progressive" so I need something reasonably reliable :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 October 2012, 21:39:05 »

Indeed... You know that my style is somewhat "progressive" so I need something reasonably reliable :-X ::)
I'd put Gixer in the aggressive category, and you in the Miss Daisy. And Tunnie in the "I need RPGs to move this guy in front".
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #34 on: 11 October 2012, 21:53:55 »

I'd put Gixer in the aggressive category, and you in the Miss Daisy. And Tunnie in the "I need RPGs to move this guy in front".

;D ;D ;D

I need many of them daily :-X
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.