Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF  (Read 4402 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF
« Reply #30 on: 10 December 2006, 21:20:26 »

This is what AMSOIL are suggesting following the usual sump removal and ATF top-up (note: this is generic advice and not Omega-specific):

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 December 2006, 21:24:17 »

Haynes quote 8L total ATF capacity, or 4.4L for drain-and-flush - but they do not say if the 4.4L is big sump only or both sumps.

This is important because if it is both sumps, then this means that around 3.6L of old ATF are left in the system, which is not good. If the 4.4L is for the big sump only, then assuming the small sump will have a further say 2L, then this leaves a much smaller amount in the system - perhaps to a point where it's not worth worrying about emptying the torque converter.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2006, 21:25:13 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 December 2006, 21:45:34 »

That implies that the oil is pumped through the torque converter before going to the oil cooler which would make sense - think - since the torque converter would heat it up more than anything else. So I'd guess that the front gearbox oil pipe is the outlet to the cooler.

What a pity there isn't a drain screw on the edge of the torque converter. It would be easy to remove the cover on the bottom of the bell housing and remove a screw to drain it. Looking at pictures of the torque converter it's going to have close to 4 litres of oil in it from the size of the thing I'd suspect - thinking of a 2litre milk bottle.

The trouble is there is so much room in there that the fresh oil will mix with the old, there's three fan blades in there to stir it up, so you are never going to get all of the old out but it will change more than just doing the sumps.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 December 2006, 13:36:19 »

* Update *

See:
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1165956752

So I no longr have a problem with the autobox... I was hoping to solve the rough shiting problem with an ATF change, but this is no needed anymore...

My option now are:

a. Leave it - Vx specify 60k (Hayned specify 70k) for autobox ATF change, and only for cars working hard - on normal cars the ATf should be good 'for life'. So now that I don't have a problem with the autobox anymore I can just wait till the car gets to 60k-70k rather than doing it now at 50k.

b. Do just a 'quick' ATF change - drop the two sumps and re-fill with Vx standard ATF. It will mix with the ATF left in the torque converter and will 'revive' it a bit.

c. Continue with the original plan anyway, get 8L of Synthetic ATF, and change the fluid in the sumps and in the torque converter.

Decisions....
Alas, no more Omegas....

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 December 2006, 14:31:45 »

Continue with the original plan anyway, get 8L of Synthetic ATF, and change the fluid in the sumps and in the torque converter.

Not that I have an auto but I thought the torque convertor couldn't be drained of the old fluid or is there a knack to it.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2006, 14:32:38 by nixoro »

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 December 2006, 15:58:19 »

Continue with the original plan anyway, get 8L of Synthetic ATF, and change the fluid in the sumps and in the torque converter.

Not that I have an auto but I thought the torque convertor couldn't be drained of the old fluid or is there a knack to it.

...read post #30 above....
Alas, no more Omegas....

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 December 2006, 19:49:52 »

That's what some of us, well me a least, is waiting for Mark to find out for us  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.