Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Q? What will stop a 2.2 from starting?  (Read 2359 times)

Taxi_Driver

Q? What will stop a 2.2 from starting?
« on: 04 April 2008, 23:15:51 »

Just been up to get a kebab, im back home.....but my 2.2 is parked on double yellows outside kebab shop refusing to start  >:(

Its catching, splutters, then dies  :(

EML comes on when it dies , but isnt on during cranking or flashing...

It carnt be crank or cam sensor........coz i know 2.2's will start with them faulty/disconnected

Its got petrol in it......gauge says nearly 1/4 tank.....

Im lost atm to whats wrong.......batt has gone flat trying to start it.......gonna phone some mates in a min and go back up to it for a jump start......hopefully it will start  :-/ Otherwise its ticket time  :(

Any ideas anyone ?

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: Q? What will stop a 2.2 from starting?
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2008, 06:57:40 »

Are you sure about it starting with the cam sensor disconnected?
I like red cars

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2008, 07:01:04 »

Oil / water in the plug wells?
I like red cars

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2008, 07:31:09 »

Are you sure about it starting with the cam sensor disconnected?

Yes , it will, same as crank sensor.......takes its time but will start...

Counldnt get on OOf late last night, guess there were probs....but i went back up with a m8 and with trying to jump start it wouldnt  :(

Tho thankfully from help with kebab shop guys managed to push it  off double yellows so i wont get a ticket  :y

Going back in a short while.........with lappy......symptoms to me are like its outa petrol......but gauge says nearly 1/4 full.....so not sure.......gauge might be lying to me  :-/

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2008, 07:35:09 »

Dont know AA........it hasn rained for a day or two here........and i have changed the cam cover gasket in the past......its always started ok before......

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2008, 07:36:37 »

Dont know AA........it hasn rained for a day or two here........and i have changed the cam cover gasket in the past......its always started ok before......

Just clutching at straws....
I like red cars

albitz

« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2008, 07:43:10 »

fuel filter ? :-/

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2008, 07:50:52 »

fuel filter ? :-/

Yes, I was just wondering that.
I like red cars

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2008, 08:09:16 »

When  mine had starting probs last week which sounds a lot like your it  turned out to be a small hole in one of the rubber pipes in the fuel tank pick up pot under a a round metal plate with 4 srews under the mat in the boot. Only a 10 min job to check. with mine it was a very samll hole but was letting the pressure go back down and was like there was no fuel getting to the engine.  Could also check fuel relay for the clik.

Hope the is of some help and you get it back on the round. :-[
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #9 on: 05 April 2008, 10:26:13 »

Ive chucked a gallon of petrol in it to be on the safe side and had another go with a 110amp/h battery.....flattened it  :(

Called my local garage.....who came out...they flatened 2 jump starter packs on it.....then recovered it to their garage.......

Im going back to the garage in a bit to check fuses and code read it.......see if that sheds any light on it  :-/

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2008, 10:28:16 »

When  mine had starting probs last week which sounds a lot like your it  turned out to be a small hole in one of the rubber pipes in the fuel tank pick up pot under a a round metal plate with 4 srews under the mat in the boot. Only a 10 min job to check. with mine it was a very samll hole but was letting the pressure go back down and was like there was no fuel getting to the engine.  Could also check fuel relay for the clik.

Cheers i'll check this.........i hope its not in the spare wheel well tho!! Coz theres an lpg tank bolted in there.....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 05 April 2008, 18:20:20 »

You were pretty close  :y

After i checked all the fuses I read the ecu codes.....usual ones there plus 2 for the immobiliser.......so it looked like an immobiliser fault.......
Spoke to TB on the phone about it.......thanx for the time and texts TB  :y I checked immobiliser ecu wiring.....seemed ok.

Then garage boss decided to take a look.........

He checked the codes as well.......then decided to ignore them  ::)

And start with basics........is there a spark? yes ok next
Is there fuel.......off with a fuel line......no......so why not.....
Hes got a gizzmo....that can override relays........ie you can pull relays plug this in and it just basically shorts the wires when he presses a button......he explains to me....that if the ecu is stopping fuel.....then this is overriding it and so would expect fuel......so he tried it on the fuel pump relay........still no fuel.......

He then stuck a meter across the fuel pump......got 12v......but he couldnt hear the pump......so he took it out.....put 12v across it and it worked....so he put back in.....reconnected fuel line and gave it go.....my 2.2 started  :y But not for long, it cut out after about 30secs  :( He tried starting it again but it just cranked.......so he tried a very technical procedure  ;D.......he told me to keep cranking it while he hit the top of the pump with a hammer......it worked  :y my 2.2 started again.

So thats the explanation......a tired fuel pump that needs replacing.

I guess the immobiliser codes where faults thrown up coz a dying/flat battery.

Total cost for today (altho not counting loss of earnings) was, for recovery to garage......and fault finding it.......£45..pretty good i thought........altho i now have a stick on holder mounted to my dash......full of his business cards  ::)

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 April 2008, 18:28:26 »

After i checked all the fuses I read the ecu codes.....usual ones there plus 2 for the immobiliser.......so it looked like an immobiliser fault.......
Spoke to TB on the phone about it.......thanx for the time and texts TB  :y I checked immobiliser ecu wiring.....seemed ok.

Hes got a gizzmo....that can override relays........ie you can pull relays plug this in and it just basically shorts the wires when he presses a button......he explains to me....that if the ecu is stopping fuel.....then this is overriding it and so would expect fuel......so he tried it on the fuel pump relay........still no fuel.......

He then stuck a meter across the fuel pump......got 12v......but he couldnt hear the pump......so he took it out.....put 12v across it and it worked....so he put back in.....reconnected fuel line and gave it go.....my 2.2 started  :y But not for long, it cut out after about 30secs  :( He tried starting it again but it just cranked.......so he tried a very technical procedure  ;D.......he told me to keep cranking it while he hit the top of the pump with a hammer......it worked  :y my 2.2 started again.

Total cost for today (altho not counting loss of earnings) was, for recovery to garage......and fault finding it.......£45..pretty good i thought........altho i now have a stick on holder mounted to my dash......full of his business cards  ::)

and a knocking stick in the door pocket ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #13 on: 05 April 2008, 18:47:50 »

;D ;D

Dont think it calls for Sammy just yet  ;D

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 April 2008, 18:48:52 »

;D ;D

Dont think it calls for Sammy just yet  ;D
Good job, I believe he's still AWOL. ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 April 2008, 19:25:24 »

:y
I like red cars

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 April 2008, 19:28:25 »

Reminds me of back in the sixties, had a Mini Van, came back from Weston-S-M with it cutting out every 2 miles, had to keep getting underneath and giving the fuel pump a tap in the pouring rain.

Got us home though.
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 April 2008, 10:42:03 »

Glad you sorted it - as you said, I reckon the immobiliser codes caused by something unrelated to actual fault.

Apologies for delay in getting back yesterday - RDP to my PC via GPRS on a mobile phone takes a while ;D
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #18 on: 06 April 2008, 12:16:34 »

Glad you sorted it - as you said, I reckon the immobiliser codes caused by something unrelated to actual fault.

Apologies for delay in getting back yesterday - RDP to my PC via GPRS on a mobile phone takes a while ;D

All the help was apprecaited  :y

However it wont start again this morning  :(

So ive been checking a few things.....

Theres only 2.8v accross the fuel pump.......which carnt be right.

Checked F18........only 2.8v there as well.....

Checked the fuel pump relay.....12v there (the two smaller pins have 12v across them and theres 12v in and 12v out on the other 2 larger pins)

Unless anyone thinks its a bad idea im going to put 12v accross the pump directly to see what happens......when i come back......need to go out and the car batt is flat as a witchs........ so its on charge.

I think the garage just got lucky and it was coincedence that the pump started working for them  :-/

« Last Edit: 06 April 2008, 12:17:41 by Taxi_Driver »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 April 2008, 13:16:46 »

2.8 v whilst its trying to draw makes sense ... you'll only get 12v on an open circuit.

My guess is that if there is ANY voltage at the pump it's trying to run ... and if the voltage is dropping THAT far with no movement .. pump is FUBAR'd

:(
« Last Edit: 06 April 2008, 13:17:34 by entwood »

Arpy

• Preston
  • 02 2.2 cdx estate auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 April 2008, 17:15:07 »

I agree with entwood if voltage dropping so low something is drawing  current possible windings shorting out any way just wanted to change subject slightly
I had my 2.2 auto cdx converted and just curious as to what sort of mpg you get and did it effect how the auto box changes at town speeds mine seems to stay hovering around 2000 revs so seems to be using more gas.
cheers

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #21 on: 06 April 2008, 17:23:02 »

I got it running again  :y Then it broke again  :(

That 2.8v is what I read at the pump connector with it unplugged, not plugged in.

However i think I understand whats happening a bit better now and it is indeed a 'sticky' fuel pump.

I think from what voltages readings I have seen at the pump connector.......it appears to me that the ecu is deciding that coz of non starting it shuts the voltage off to the pump to stop flooding the engine.

I did connect a 12v feed directly to the pump and it didnt start running straight away........but a couple of taps to the pump and it started running......tried to start the 2.2 and it went.

So i took off my 12v feed and tried again and it started again......so i unplugged the connector and checked the voltage....approx 13v....which dropped to 2.8v when the engine stalled

Now im back to square one again......i think its stuck again and the car battery is flat again.......so its back on charge.

So i think best plan is try to get 2nd hand pump on Monday  :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #22 on: 06 April 2008, 17:53:05 »

I agree with entwood if voltage dropping so low something is drawing  current possible windings shorting out any way just wanted to change subject slightly
I had my 2.2 auto cdx converted and just curious as to what sort of mpg you get and did it effect how the auto box changes at town speeds mine seems to stay hovering around 2000 revs so seems to be using more gas.
cheers

You will be down slightly on power.....so the autobox starts changing later, than if on petrol....i get about 15mpg in town and 23mpg on a run......and yes you will use more lpg than petrol.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 April 2008, 19:03:32 »

That 2.8v is what I read at the pump connector with it unplugged, not plugged in.

However i think I understand whats happening a bit better now and it is indeed a 'sticky' fuel pump.

I think from what voltages readings I have seen at the pump connector.......it appears to me that the ecu is deciding that coz of non starting it shuts the voltage off to the pump to stop flooding the engine.

I did connect a 12v feed directly to the pump and it didnt start running straight away........but a couple of taps to the pump and it started running......tried to start the 2.2 and it went.

So i took off my 12v feed and tried again and it started again......so i unplugged the connector and checked the voltage....approx 13v....which dropped to 2.8v when the engine stalled

Now im back to square one again......i think its stuck again and the car battery is flat again.......so its back on charge.

Does sound like you need to get a new pump pretty quickly - time=money and all that.

Can you get it out without moving LPG stuff?
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #24 on: 06 April 2008, 22:01:07 »

Does sound like you need to get a new pump pretty quickly - time=money and all that.

Can you get it out without moving LPG stuff?

Know what u mean about time=money and all that  :(
I havent worked most of the weekend.......lost sat and sunday.. :(
But good news is on the estate.....the fuel pump is under a plate to the rhs of the spare wheel well.....so dont have disturb lpg bits.........
Gonna phone scrapies in the morning........but theres 3 different fuel pumps for omegas........and i dont wanna pay vx £130 roughly for a new one......plus MDTM says they rarely fail.....so 2nd hand one would do.. :y

Just gotta find one on Monday.........for a 2.2 estate.......old 2.0/2.5/3.0 will fit......newer ones wont......have a look in yer TC book TB......and see what will fit and what wont.....MTDM is getting back to me on what will work......... :y
« Last Edit: 06 April 2008, 22:06:07 by Taxi_Driver »

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 April 2008, 22:25:32 »

i have a good low miles 2.5 one from 98 model fella if any good to ya !! £30 inc postage ! :y :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #26 on: 07 April 2008, 07:29:48 »

i have a good low miles 2.5 one from 98 model fella if any good to ya !! £30 inc postage ! :y :y

Thanks for the offer....but im going to see if i can get one today....and needs to be p/n 93181359 unless MDTM tells me different  :y

A 2.5 could be the above p/n or 9120218.

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 April 2008, 10:03:55 »

ok fella let me know if you need it ! :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 April 2008, 10:16:12 »

Fuel pump will only run for a couple of seconds to prime the system when ignition is turned on, and thereafter only while the ECU detects cranking or a running engine. If you bridge the two wide pins on the FP relay and then measure the volts at the pump you might be better off.

Also, you should hear the pump running. Another check is to remove the return line to the tank into a suitable container and check fuel flow rate (would have been able to tell you which one if I'd paid attention when we had to drain marie's tank on saturday - IIRC, it's the right hand pipe as you look into the boot). Any fuel flow in the return line means that the fuel pressure is adequate (assuming FPR is good) but you should get a reasonable flow rate too.

Does your LPG system have a "start on gas" mode? Might be worth a try.

Do you often run it very low on petrol while on LPG? Just wondering if the pump's been sucking air and that has killed it. :-/

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #29 on: 07 April 2008, 11:44:02 »

KW - I usually put 10 or 20 quids worth in when the MID starts to complain about range 31 miles.....mainly coz it keeps harping on about it and its bloody annoying  ;D
And yes i discovered that about the fuel pump and ECU having spent most of sunday messing about with it.

Anyway phoned a scrappy 9am this morning....he's about 7/8 miles away....told me he's got an old 2.0L omega....i asked how old.....couldnt tell me coz plates where missing....so took a gamble and popped down there.....he even took it off for me......tho it might have been a safety issue.......coz another car was balanced on its roof.  ::)

And luckily it looked identical to mine.......so Ive fitted it.....and my 2.2 is starting on the button again everytime  :y

And not a bad price either.......£20  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07 April 2008, 11:45:58 »

Nice one .. back to earning again .. :)

:y :y

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07 April 2008, 21:08:34 »

Glad it's sorted TD :y
I like red cars

arthill

• Greenock
  • HI all pleased to join Forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 April 2008, 21:17:22 »

Have you tried disconnecting MAF and see if it starts

John
John

arthill

• Greenock
  • HI all pleased to join Forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 April 2008, 21:19:47 »

Sorry only read first page. :-X
John

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #34 on: 08 April 2008, 07:24:58 »

Cheers Guys  :y

It'll been out earning again this morning  :y
Petrol stink should have gone now......as i didnt depresurise the fuel rail before disconnecting the pump.....  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.