Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Q? What will stop a 2.2 from starting?  (Read 2363 times)

Taxi_Driver

Q? What will stop a 2.2 from starting?
« on: 04 April 2008, 23:15:51 »

Just been up to get a kebab, im back home.....but my 2.2 is parked on double yellows outside kebab shop refusing to start  >:(

Its catching, splutters, then dies  :(

EML comes on when it dies , but isnt on during cranking or flashing...

It carnt be crank or cam sensor........coz i know 2.2's will start with them faulty/disconnected

Its got petrol in it......gauge says nearly 1/4 tank.....

Im lost atm to whats wrong.......batt has gone flat trying to start it.......gonna phone some mates in a min and go back up to it for a jump start......hopefully it will start  :-/ Otherwise its ticket time  :(

Any ideas anyone ?

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: Q? What will stop a 2.2 from starting?
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2008, 06:57:40 »

Are you sure about it starting with the cam sensor disconnected?
I like red cars

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2008, 07:01:04 »

Oil / water in the plug wells?
I like red cars

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2008, 07:31:09 »

Are you sure about it starting with the cam sensor disconnected?

Yes , it will, same as crank sensor.......takes its time but will start...

Counldnt get on OOf late last night, guess there were probs....but i went back up with a m8 and with trying to jump start it wouldnt  :(

Tho thankfully from help with kebab shop guys managed to push it  off double yellows so i wont get a ticket  :y

Going back in a short while.........with lappy......symptoms to me are like its outa petrol......but gauge says nearly 1/4 full.....so not sure.......gauge might be lying to me  :-/

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2008, 07:35:09 »

Dont know AA........it hasn rained for a day or two here........and i have changed the cam cover gasket in the past......its always started ok before......

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2008, 07:36:37 »

Dont know AA........it hasn rained for a day or two here........and i have changed the cam cover gasket in the past......its always started ok before......

Just clutching at straws....
I like red cars

albitz

« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2008, 07:43:10 »

fuel filter ? :-/

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2008, 07:50:52 »

fuel filter ? :-/

Yes, I was just wondering that.
I like red cars

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2008, 08:09:16 »

When  mine had starting probs last week which sounds a lot like your it  turned out to be a small hole in one of the rubber pipes in the fuel tank pick up pot under a a round metal plate with 4 srews under the mat in the boot. Only a 10 min job to check. with mine it was a very samll hole but was letting the pressure go back down and was like there was no fuel getting to the engine.  Could also check fuel relay for the clik.

Hope the is of some help and you get it back on the round. :-[
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #9 on: 05 April 2008, 10:26:13 »

Ive chucked a gallon of petrol in it to be on the safe side and had another go with a 110amp/h battery.....flattened it  :(

Called my local garage.....who came out...they flatened 2 jump starter packs on it.....then recovered it to their garage.......

Im going back to the garage in a bit to check fuses and code read it.......see if that sheds any light on it  :-/

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2008, 10:28:16 »

When  mine had starting probs last week which sounds a lot like your it  turned out to be a small hole in one of the rubber pipes in the fuel tank pick up pot under a a round metal plate with 4 srews under the mat in the boot. Only a 10 min job to check. with mine it was a very samll hole but was letting the pressure go back down and was like there was no fuel getting to the engine.  Could also check fuel relay for the clik.

Cheers i'll check this.........i hope its not in the spare wheel well tho!! Coz theres an lpg tank bolted in there.....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 05 April 2008, 18:20:20 »

You were pretty close  :y

After i checked all the fuses I read the ecu codes.....usual ones there plus 2 for the immobiliser.......so it looked like an immobiliser fault.......
Spoke to TB on the phone about it.......thanx for the time and texts TB  :y I checked immobiliser ecu wiring.....seemed ok.

Then garage boss decided to take a look.........

He checked the codes as well.......then decided to ignore them  ::)

And start with basics........is there a spark? yes ok next
Is there fuel.......off with a fuel line......no......so why not.....
Hes got a gizzmo....that can override relays........ie you can pull relays plug this in and it just basically shorts the wires when he presses a button......he explains to me....that if the ecu is stopping fuel.....then this is overriding it and so would expect fuel......so he tried it on the fuel pump relay........still no fuel.......

He then stuck a meter across the fuel pump......got 12v......but he couldnt hear the pump......so he took it out.....put 12v across it and it worked....so he put back in.....reconnected fuel line and gave it go.....my 2.2 started  :y But not for long, it cut out after about 30secs  :( He tried starting it again but it just cranked.......so he tried a very technical procedure  ;D.......he told me to keep cranking it while he hit the top of the pump with a hammer......it worked  :y my 2.2 started again.

So thats the explanation......a tired fuel pump that needs replacing.

I guess the immobiliser codes where faults thrown up coz a dying/flat battery.

Total cost for today (altho not counting loss of earnings) was, for recovery to garage......and fault finding it.......£45..pretty good i thought........altho i now have a stick on holder mounted to my dash......full of his business cards  ::)

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 April 2008, 18:28:26 »

You were pretty close  :y

After i checked all the fuses I read the ecu codes.....usual ones there plus 2 for the immobiliser.......so it looked like an immobiliser fault.......
Spoke to TB on the phone about it.......thanx for the time and texts TB  :y I checked immobiliser ecu wiring.....seemed ok.

Then garage boss decided to take a look.........

He checked the codes as well.......then decided to ignore them  ::)

And start with basics........is there a spark? yes ok next
Is there fuel.......off with a fuel line......no......so why not.....
Hes got a gizzmo....that can override relays........ie you can pull relays plug this in and it just basically shorts the wires when he presses a button......he explains to me....that if the ecu is stopping fuel.....then this is overriding it and so would expect fuel......so he tried it on the fuel pump relay........still no fuel.......

He then stuck a meter across the fuel pump......got 12v......but he couldnt hear the pump......so he took it out.....put 12v across it and it worked....so he put back in.....reconnected fuel line and gave it go.....my 2.2 started  :y But not for long, it cut out after about 30secs  :( He tried starting it again but it just cranked.......so he tried a very technical procedure  ;D.......he told me to keep cranking it while he hit the top of the pump with a hammer......it worked  :y my 2.2 started again.

So thats the explanation......a tired fuel pump that needs replacing.

I guess the immobiliser codes where faults thrown up coz a dying/flat battery.

Total cost for today (altho not counting loss of earnings) was, for recovery to garage......and fault finding it.......£45..pretty good i thought........altho i now have a stick on holder mounted to my dash......full of his business cards  ::)

and a knocking stick in the door pocket ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #13 on: 05 April 2008, 18:47:50 »

;D ;D

Dont think it calls for Sammy just yet  ;D

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 April 2008, 18:48:52 »

;D ;D

Dont think it calls for Sammy just yet  ;D
Good job, I believe he's still AWOL. ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.