Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP! Crank Shaft Bolts Broken! can anyone help!?  (Read 2684 times)

ROBZERIO

• View Profile
HELP! Crank Shaft Bolts Broken! can anyone help!?
« on: 23 November 2010, 11:18:48 »

Hi everybody!

I own a 2.0 x20xev GLS 'auto on a 2000X plate and the bolts that go from the flywheel to the crank have sheared inside the crank!! :'(

Can anybody help its bizarre because ive never mistreated the car, it happened when I was overtaking and I heard a whistling noise so I just thought a vacuum pipe had come off on something.. Anyway just as I arrived at my local Garage all 6 bolts snapped (lucky in some ways huh!) Anyway the cost to repair this is going to be extream! probably twice the cost of the car!  :exclamation
I recently paid 1500 to have the headgasket and other bits changed too!! and now this! Argh! Shes only covered 65000miles very bizarre!

Anyway my question is, that is it possible to take the crank out from underneath the engine, as I don't want to take the heads off like say just been put back on! OR would it be possible to get the holes re-drilled so I don't need to spend the earth to repair it.. and would that be safe and be durable enough to last at least another 65000miles?

Thanks very much for your time!

Robert Hamilton. :y

Omega VT3000

• Essex
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Crank Shaft Bolts Broken! can anyone help!?
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2010, 11:24:44 »

Sorry to hear about your troubles. You shouldn't have to touch the top end of the engine (i.e. cylinder heads) as the crank is on the bottom end. I suspect the engine would have to come out though as you will need to remove the sump to get to the big end caps and the crank itself.

I am not familiar with the 2.0 engine but surely the driveplate would bolt to the crank shaft from the outside so removing the gearbox/torque converter would be the route to take?

If this is the case, the heads of the bolts will have sheared and the studs should be accesible from the gearbox end of the engine with the gearbox removed.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: 23 November 2010, 11:25:44 by Omega_VT3000 »

Welung666

« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2010, 11:55:37 »

Where are you Rob?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2010, 13:06:04 »

You should be able to remove the bolts with just the gearbox out

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2010, 13:08:10 »

I would say the first port of call would be to try extracting the remaining bits of bolt from the end of the crankshaft in-situ. Now there's no tension on them they may well come out easily.

It's worrying that they failed in the first case. Had the flywheel been off previously? Overtightened perhaps?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

djac

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2001/Y Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2010, 13:12:41 »

I would say the first port of call would be to try extracting the remaining bits of bolt from the end of the crankshaft in-situ. Now there's no tension on them they may well come out easily.

It's worrying that they failed in the first case. Had the flywheel been off previously? Overtightened perhaps?

Kevin

Perhaps a member on here is near you and can lend a hand and a stud extractor kit?

ROBZERIO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2010, 13:50:23 »

Thanks very much for your message!! =) I already have the gearbox/flywheel/spacers etc. out I can see all of the bolts are broken inside so ill try to get the engine out next to have a gander cheers! =)

ROBZERIO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2010, 13:59:46 »

Wow I didn't see the other messages! Thanks very much guys! I'm actually living in France at the moment which is a bit of a bugger, also thanks for thinking that perhaps someone can help me out with changing certain parts, I will have a go at removing the bolts, however the screw holes are elongated inside the crank now, and if I just bolt on another flywheel it may be out of balance.. plus the cost to re-bore new screw holes may cost more than a new crankshaft..

Thanks again guys! =) 

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2010, 14:04:56 »

The bolts are fairly big diameter so I would be trying to centre punch them and drill a pilot hole to get an extractor in. Removing the engine would be a last resort unless there is damage to the crank from the loose drive plate wobbling around.

Just seen you last post...if the holes are damaged it probably means a replacement crank / engine. :'(
« Last Edit: 23 November 2010, 14:07:48 by Pete »

ROBZERIO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2010, 14:26:12 »

Kevin

Im new to this so im just trying to get my head around all the buttons I hope this is the right one! ha!

Anyway when I bought the vehicle from an auction, it didn't come with any service history!! (Big no no I know!) however what it did say was that it had no major faults!!

As I was returning home to France where I live now, 200 miles in the head-gasket blew! I wrote to the Auction house and explained this and they said there is nothing they can do apart from put it back through the action!! so you can imagine how disgusted I was!

As for previous repair, I believe the car had only covered 52k at the time of purchase it seemed to be that way very firm etc. My father previously owned a 3.0 V6 Elite before he sold it, it had covered 180k so I knew the feel of a fairly used Omega.. so what im trying to say is, why would a car with such low miles need a replacement flywheel!? If that is the case..
 There are no signs of accident damage either its very bizarre to have this problem so I have been told.. So I cant comment as to whether or not the problem stems from old repair jobs! =(

Many thanks Rob. :y

ROBZERIO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 November 2010, 14:34:24 »

The bolts are fairly big diameter so I would be trying to centre punch them and drill a pilot hole to get an extractor in. Removing the engine would be a last resort unless there is damage to the crank from the loose drive plate wobbling around.

Just seen you last post...if the holes are damaged it probably means a replacement crank / engine. :'(

That's what I'm worried about a replacement crank even worse than that is a replacement engine!! however from what I've learnt is that it may be possible to take out the engine, remove the crank from underneath the heads, making my life a lot easier and less expensive, than a total engine rebuild!!

Cheers Rob.  :y 

ps. if I was to buy a replacement engine do you know the costs and where I could find one, and also would the Vectra (Auto) X20XEV engine fit? The engine mounts may be different as its a transversely mounted engine!?!?

ROBZERIO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 November 2010, 14:49:55 »

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=103682&id=513668724&saved

These are a few pics of her and of the problem so as to give you a better idea of what happened..  :-/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 November 2010, 15:55:31 »

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=103682&id=513668724&saved

These are a few pics of her and of the problem so as to give you a better idea of what happened..  :-/

If you could host your pictures somewhere other than facebook .......   ;) A lot here don't have an account, myself included.  :y

alank46

• Intermediate Member
  • South Devon
    • 3L Elite Estate 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 November 2010, 16:05:26 »

Personally I would leave the engine in place and extract the broken bolts, then buy new correct high tensile bolts and put the whole lot back together with appropriately applied loctite.  Admittedly this is risky, at a guess it stands a 50/50 chance of working, so on your own head be it, but personally I'd take those odds.  Depends partly on how much cash you have available and whether you want to risk having to take it all apart again.
Alan
Elite now gone.  Bought an X-Type 4x4.  If there had been an Omega 4x4 I would have bought that instead.  We really liked the Omega, but I wanted 4x4.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 November 2010, 16:27:25 »

I'd do as alank46 has suggested above. It sounds to me as though the flywheel has been loose for a little while if it's distorted the female threads. Plenty of thread lock when you rebuild it to make sure they don't come slack again.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.