Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignition Key wont key  (Read 2277 times)

MrDJ

• View Profile
Ignition Key wont key
« on: 30 November 2010, 09:03:57 »

Been playing up a bit lately, often had to push it in hard to get it to turn.

Lent it my old man the other day and now won't turn at all.

WD40 in the barrel has done nothing.

The key looks a little worn but works ok in doors, boot, etc so is it likely to be the key or as I suspect the barrell?

How much do VX charge for a new key to check?

Cheers

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition Key wont key
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2010, 09:17:06 »

You need to get it to turn somehow. A little light oil and blast it in to the barrel with a compressor worked for me, followed by gently tapping the end of the key to work the lock loose.

Once it's turned to position 1 follow the maintenance guide to refurb the barrel. If you get it to turn do not turn it back to the off position again.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Boditza

• Craiova, Romania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2010, 09:21:55 »

i used this:
sprayed some brake cleaner inside the ignition with a napkin just under the barrel so it won't damage the plastics. spray until what comes out is clean. then let it dry for 5-10 minutes then with a hair dryer blow hot air inside. after this spray wd 40  and let it settle for a minute or two. try it then. this worked for me and remember you do it at your own risk.

MrDJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2010, 11:36:48 »

so if I cant get it to position I can I force the lock (break it) to get the car running until I can source another key/barrel?

Abiton

« Reply #4 on: 30 November 2010, 12:16:10 »

Try inserting the key slightly less than all the way in (mm or so), and keep trying different positions, but don't use force to try and turn the key, this will make matters worse.  It will turn if you persist.

When you get the barrel out you'll see why I suggested this; it only takes a tiny fraction of lengthways misalignment of the key in the barrel to cause the tumblers to not sit flush.  What happened to ours was that 'the internet' recommended bashing the end of the key, and this really didn't help, it just bent something such that the key could go in too far.  If you've done any significant bashing of your own, the same thing may have happened.

If you try for ages and still can't get it to turn, there is another way...

Right-angled screwdriver to get at the cowling screws behind the wheel, remove cowling.  Hammer/chisel to undo the two fixings on the top that hold the steering lock, then you can drop the whole assembly off. Then you can start it with a screwdriver in the switch. Some possibility of airbag deployment while bashing... AA man said he'd done a few and never got hit though.

« Last Edit: 30 November 2010, 12:18:33 by Abiton »

Welung666

« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2010, 12:34:06 »

so if I cant get it to position I can I force the lock (break it) to get the car running until I can source another key/barrel?

NO, DON'T DO THAT! From position 1 you can remove the barrel to fix it. Use this HowTo to repair it...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1225657771

MrDJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2010, 13:37:39 »

Try inserting the key slightly less than all the way in (mm or so), and keep trying different positions, but don't use force to try and turn the key, this will make matters worse.  It will turn if you persist.

When you get the barrel out you'll see why I suggested this; it only takes a tiny fraction of lengthways misalignment of the key in the barrel to cause the tumblers to not sit flush.  What happened to ours was that 'the internet' recommended bashing the end of the key, and this really didn't help, it just bent something such that the key could go in too far.  If you've done any significant bashing of your own, the same thing may have happened.

Right-angled screwdriver to get at the cowling screws behind the wheel, remove cowling.  Hammer/chisel to undo the two fixings on the top that hold the steering lock, then you can drop the whole assembly off. Then you can start it with a screwdriver in the switch. Some possibility of airbag deployment while bashing... AA man said he'd done a few and never got hit though.

Might be the next step as tried most things :(

Vauxhall want..

£35 new key
£25 car pass
£60 barrell

plus fitting and key programming.

Pointed out I should be able to take the chip from the old key which he didn't seem to agree on but what he showed me the chip it just looks like a little bit of black plastic so shoulnt be a problem?

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2010, 23:44:36 »

Hi I have the same problem in that cant get the key too turn ( think I need a new barrel with a key as  I dont know the the old key code ) If I carry out the procedure that Abiton has described would that add much cost too the repair along with the barrel and key replaced , Ps I would rather get the key too position one then leave the key in there till I can get the barrel and key replaced any more ideas on what too try to get the key too turn ( tried today for about three hours with no luck , Cheers for any advice  :'(

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 December 2010, 00:32:07 »

Might be the next step as tried most things :(

Vauxhall want..

£35 new key
£25 car pass
£60 barrell

plus fitting and key programming.

Pointed out I should be able to take the chip from the old key which he didn't seem to agree on but what he showed me the chip it just looks like a little bit of black plastic so shoulnt be a problem?

Before you go throwing your hard-earned money at Vauxhall, just wait, post in the wanted section, and you're sure to get a whole host or replies from very friendly breakers on here who will be able to sort you out with new locks/barrels, keys, whatever you want, FAR cheaper than Vx's prices. Plus you're supporting a British Industry  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 December 2010, 10:07:28 »

Hi cheers for the reply I think I am going to have too try chisselling off those shear pin thingys and probably end up sitting in the rear seats pinned down by the airbag , either that or pay fifty quid to get it towed  :-/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2010, 10:42:14 »

..and they are ripping you off with the car pass and programming. Just transfer the immobiliser chip from old key to new key. :y

(unless you need the car pass to match the new barrel with the old key?)

I would persevere with getting it to turn though. It's so much easier if you can just take the barrel out and repair it.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Abiton

« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2010, 10:49:25 »

Hi cheers for the reply I think I am going to have too try chisselling off those shear pin thingys and probably end up sitting in the rear seats pinned down by the airbag , either that or pay fifty quid to get it towed  :-/

Just to clarify, you're not trying to chisel anything off, you're just using the chisel to undo the 'headless' bolts, by getting them to unscrew.

And as Kevin says, unless you've really churned up the tumblers and the inside of the barrel, the key will turn once you get the position just right.

Once ours was out I thought "well I might as well keep trying, might save myself a bunch of cash" and sure enough, with the pressure of not being able to start  the car off, I managed to get the key to turn, and refurbed the barrel for freeeeeee!  :)

Don't forget to remove any burrs on the inside of the barrel (where the tumblers have been 'snagging' when you have attempted to turn the key unsuccessfully).

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 December 2010, 11:20:46 »

Does trying to turn the steering wheel against the lock whilst turning the key help?

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 December 2010, 12:29:55 »

Again thanks again for your replies , and no it doesnt seem to help by holding the wheel against the lock , off too too give it another go at turning it now , cheers  :P

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 December 2010, 22:24:03 »

just got back in , still no luck getting the key too turn , will have another go tomorrow but I dont think it is going to go , when trying the key is there any best technique to try IE light pressure etc , looking at my steering column cover I dont think Ineed the right angle screwdrivers it looks like three screws at the bottom of vertical holes , thanks for any interest in my dilemma  :y

fiend61

• Omega Knight
  • york
  • each to their own
    • 2.5cdx 3.0mv6 3.2vec c
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 December 2010, 22:38:50 »

yes there are 3 screws in the bottom cowling but there is also 2 screws hidden by the steering wheel. you have to turn steering wheel to see them, thats why the right angle screwdriver was suggested  :y

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 December 2010, 23:58:34 »

Cheers fiend61 for the reply , turning the steering wheel is going to be a problem , cant turn the key and the steering lock is on  :-[

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 December 2010, 11:39:34 »

just got back in , still no luck getting the key too turn , will have another go tomorrow but I dont think it is going to go , when trying the key is there any best technique to try IE light pressure etc , looking at my steering column cover I dont think Ineed the right angle screwdrivers it looks like three screws at the bottom of vertical holes , thanks for any interest in my dilemma  :y

As said, try pulling it out slightly, pushing it in all the way, etc. In case there's a little misalignment.

I found a bit of light oil on the key, push it in and then tap the end if the key with something to try to shock the levers into place helped a little.

Might be temperature related? Can you direct some hot air from a hair dryer, etc, up ionto the cowling for a while and see if it improves once the whole assembly has warmed up a little? :-/ Might be some lubricant that's gone waxy in the cold?

Kevin

fiend61

• Omega Knight
  • york
  • each to their own
    • 2.5cdx 3.0mv6 3.2vec c
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 December 2010, 11:44:36 »

Cheers fiend61 for the reply , turning the steering wheel is going to be a problem , cant turn the key and the steering lock is on   
i.e the right angled screwdriver, the other way is to undo the 3 screws underneath then snap the cowling off but this will mean getting another cowling, i would persevere as kevin has suggested  :y
« Last Edit: 02 December 2010, 11:47:26 by fiend61 »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 December 2010, 12:20:04 »

Cheers fiend61 for the reply , turning the steering wheel is going to be a problem , cant turn the key and the steering lock is on   
i.e the right angled screwdriver, the other way is to undo the 3 screws underneath then snap the cowling off but this will mean getting another cowling, i would persevere as kevin has suggested  :y

You could always remove the steering wheel.

Kevin

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 December 2010, 10:15:21 »

Hi , the story so far , after freezing my nuts off trying too get the key too turn with no luck , decided to go for plan B I took the cowling off but sorry if I am being a numpty I cant see the 2 headless bolts too undo any where the ignition lock looks like being part of a solid aluminium castind with no joins which wrapped right round the steering column so coudlnt drop down , on the end of the ignition switch there is a large flat black electrical connector , any ideas anyone? the car is stuck at my work place I am on lates this week so when I go back this afternoon I will see if any of the lads have any ideas and risk having the P--- taken out of me if I am missing the obvious Cheers again for any input  :-[

fiend61

• Omega Knight
  • york
  • each to their own
    • 2.5cdx 3.0mv6 3.2vec c
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 December 2010, 10:26:04 »

You could always remove the steering wheel.

didnt think of that kevin  :-[ but not many people carry a 22mm socket around with them  ;D ;D

Abiton

« Reply #22 on: 03 December 2010, 11:23:29 »

Hi , the story so far , after freezing my nuts off trying too get the key too turn with no luck , decided to go for plan B I took the cowling off but sorry if I am being a numpty I cant see the 2 headless bolts too undo any where the ignition lock looks like being part of a solid aluminium castind with no joins which wrapped right round the steering column so coudlnt drop down , on the end of the ignition switch there is a large flat black electrical connector , any ideas anyone? the car is stuck at my work place I am on lates this week so when I go back this afternoon I will see if any of the lads have any ideas and risk having the P--- taken out of me if I am missing the obvious Cheers again for any input  :-[

You need to be looking at the topside of the steering column.  The two bolts in question come down from there intothe two tapped holes visible on the topside of the assembly in this pic:

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 December 2010, 11:49:24 »

Thanks Abiton am going back into work in a mo will have a look , Cheers  :y

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 December 2010, 21:22:27 »

Hi just got back from work , I can see the two fasteners that  I need to remove but with my eyesight that aint what it was they look wierd little buggers they dont seem to protrude to much so as to get a chisel on to turn it looks like a shiny middle to it with what looks like some sort of black collar round it ? could I remove them by splitting the collar or am i on the wrong track of thought here , appreciate any advice  :y

Abiton

« Reply #25 on: 03 December 2010, 21:47:51 »

Can't honestly remember what they look like, it was a while back, and it was the AA man that undid them.  I did put them back in though once the key was turning again.

If the space available is too small, it may well have been a punch + hammer rather than chisel + hammer that was used.

Sorry, my memory's going with my advancing years. ;D

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 December 2010, 08:27:19 »

Hi Abiton , sorry if this is a stupid question in one of your earlier replies in the part about once I have managed to drop the ignition switch down from the column then i could use a screwdriver to start the car is that possible with the tumblers still in as I cant move the key too position one to remove them , thanks for support in my dilemma  :y

Abiton

« Reply #27 on: 04 December 2010, 11:15:40 »

Hello again.  You basically need to get the black bit off the left-hand end of the whole assy in the pic above, in order to be able to operate the ignition switch itself with a screwdriver.

It might seem that you could leave the other bit in place. You could start it like that (as long as you have the key near the immobiliser ring), but the steering lock would be on, so you'd be very limited in where you could drive it.

So in brief, having got those two bolts undone, dropped the whole assy free, and the switch off the end, you can start it and drive it as normal.  Can't remember whether the key/immob chip has to stay near the ring once it's started, easy to find out tho'.

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 December 2010, 12:36:35 »

HI ok thanks for that , I will have another go at it tomorrw and let you know how I get on Cheers for the posts  :y

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 December 2010, 14:48:08 »

followed this thread as iv,e had same prob, and today iv,e tried to start the car via switch. this method was ok until i tried to turn out of my drive then the steering lock went on. a new barrel cost me £47.29 but a key pass & proof of ownership was required. i get my new stuff on tues

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 05 December 2010, 10:23:13 »

RIGHT THATS IT !!! HAD A BLOODY NUFF , GIVE UP TRYING TO GET KEY TOO TURN  [smiley=thumbdown.gif] GOT THE NUMBER OF A PICK UP AND A NEW BARREL MATCHED TO MY KEY WAITING TO BE FITTED AT MY LOCAL GARAGE  ::) THANKS FOR ALL THE POSTS  :y ;)

tyreburner

• bedlington - northumberland
  • It werent a mig but boy was it fast!!!!! R.I.P
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 December 2010, 12:27:35 »

I had this last weekend and the only way i got it going was hit the end of the lock in temper and it fell off, then i got my screwdriver in and picked away at bits of barrel and tumblers, after about 8 tumblers the key turns now and until my replacement comes i put the end of the barrel back in when parking the car up.
"well at least I'm lucky I don't have all the power in the world so I can't opps everything else up."

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 December 2010, 15:13:09 »

Hi I better not go anywhere near it with a hammer , dont think I could stop myself till there was only the tax disc left intact  [smiley=rolleyes.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=evil.gif] :y

tyreburner

• bedlington - northumberland
  • It werent a mig but boy was it fast!!!!! R.I.P
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 December 2010, 15:23:42 »

Hi I better not go anywhere near it with a hammer , dont think I could stop myself till there was only the tax disc left intact  [smiley=rolleyes.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=evil.gif] :y

Lol. thats how i managed to fix it i had lost my temper and just brayed the end bit  ;D probably just aswell it snapped off or i too could have been left with only the tax disc  8-)
"well at least I'm lucky I don't have all the power in the world so I can't opps everything else up."

wightyboy2

• Isle of Wight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 December 2010, 04:29:32 »

Yeeee-Haaa back on the road again  [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] supplied and fitted by vauxhall £ 148 , probably could of got done cheaper but unfortunately I dont have the time too search around , thanks for all of you that offered advice , now off to load all my crap back into it  [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.