Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Front strut tightening  (Read 624 times)

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
Front strut tightening
« on: 21 August 2010, 18:46:19 »

Ok so i'm patting myself on the back here, just replaced both struts and drop links and it was a lot easier than I expected (apart from the part where Halfrauds ripped me off for a 24mm spanner  >:( ) All that knocking has now gone  :)

I ignored the Haynes suggestion of removing the pads and caliper in favour of removing the top caliper bolt and suspending the disc unit on my trolley jack, that was so much easier  :y

The question I have though is how do you properly torque up the top bolt (cant use a torque wrench because you need to hold it with an allen key) and the lower drop link (can't get any leverage because it's only a 1/4 inch movement on the ratchet)? They are as tight as I can get (which is normally a 1/4 turn past breaking point!) and it feels ok but when I bounce it I can see the top plate move a little.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Front strut tightening
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2010, 20:32:53 »

Never changed them myself but torque wrench and allen key can be used if you use a crow foot spanner and socket extension.  Torque will not be 100% but close enough. :-)

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2010, 00:51:08 »

You learn something every day, done my own maintenance for 25yrs and never realised what a crows foot was, I assumed it was the open ended/angled spanner. Not cheap for the 24mm size...

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2010, 10:21:00 »

They do move a bit...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.