Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More handbrake questions  (Read 1058 times)

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
More handbrake questions
« on: 28 August 2010, 21:26:15 »

Finally managed to finish replacing my handbrake shoes on both sides, freed up the rusted adjusters/mechanisms and adjusted the star wheels.

Now i've noticed that when I pull the handbrake on only one side of the cable moves, i'm assuming the cable has seized.

What i'm wondering, is there any chance that I can free the cable and if so where is it likely to be siezed? Also if the cable isn't recoverable do you really need to loosen the exhaust off to replace it as per Haynes?

Marc Taylor

• Essex
    • View Profile
Re: More handbrake questions
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2010, 21:39:55 »

after doing the same job on my handbrake last week, you could prob get away with not loosening it but would make it easier for you if you did

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2010, 21:57:15 »

Before you do that, have you checked the actuating lever, that the cable attaches to at the rear of the backplate.

These are prone to siezing up.

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2010, 23:52:33 »

Yeah I had a rusted lever and adjuster that I sorted while putting new shoes on, I suspect the cable has done the same.

I'd rather not mess with the exhaust because both the cats are rusted solid to the centre boxes and just this morning I got the local powerflow guy to cut out a section rear of the o/s centre box and weld in a stainless replacement. (Strangely the boxes are still near immaculate but the tubing is shot)

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2010, 00:36:49 »

Posted by Yesterday at 21:26
Finally managed to finish replacing my handbrake shoes on both sides, freed up the rusted adjusters/mechanisms and adjusted the star wheels.

Now i've noticed that when I pull the handbrake on only one side of the cable moves, i'm assuming the cable has seized.
It will have seized in section of casing/sheath closest to actuating lever.. very difficult to free it up with cable in situ even if you pull down hard on the slack >:( best way is to replace with new cable... you don't need to remove anything at all  ;) I watched the technician doing mine last week.. he just cracked on with it & got sore fingers... the only decision to make is loosen things up (haynes manual style) or very sore fingers :-/ hope you get it sorted (complete cable assembly for '94 to '99 estate available from Unipart for approx £45 :y)
« Last Edit: 29 August 2010, 00:39:36 by silvercross1 »
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2010, 00:41:49 »

You could try some WD40,  diconnect the cable from the actuating lever and let it hang down then  squirt into the top end where the inner cable goes into the outer.

Never tried it but it may be worth a go.

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2010, 00:46:17 »

Thank you, now that I know it's possible to do with just sore fingers i'll give it a go. And yes I will try to free it as none of the factors are open tomorrow so nothing to lose other than flesh  :)

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2010, 01:36:07 »

nothing to lose other than flesh  :)
unique selling point for V6 Omega's "Rapid weight loss - just service your own car"  :D :D :D ;D
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2010, 17:42:59 »

Thanks for the advice but I bailed on this one, got underneath and couldn't see the cable exit into the tunnel even with my stands at the highest. Then I ricked my arm trying to loosen the cable at the wheel end. I'll grab a new cable and drop it into the garage  >:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 19 queries.