Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metal coolant pipe.  (Read 738 times)

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
Metal coolant pipe.
« on: 20 February 2011, 13:14:10 »

Just been out this morning trying to find my leak, had the scuttle & plenum off and prodded around.

The symptom is leaking from the passenger rear side, running down the block dripping off close to the exhaust. I've checked the HBV and pipes & the pipes into the bridge all look OK.

While looking I did discover that it is actually dripping when cold, now as the pipe from the header immediately drops down to the metal pipe that runs the back of the engine that must be the problem?

Does this sound correct and does anyone know exactly what needs to come off to access it? (I have my old CDX stripped to the bridge and still cant see it there so i'm guessing this is a real pig of a job  :()

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
Re: Metal coolant pipe.
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2011, 15:26:12 »

OK my curiosity (backed by my new star socket set) got the better of me and I took the oil cooler plate off my old car, all I can say is holy hell that is an awful place for coolant pipes. Also I had a real revelation spotting not only the home of the metal pipe but also another rubber one alongside it. I'm sure that's going to take me longer than a weekend  :(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2011, 16:19:12 »

OK my curiosity (backed by my new star socket set) got the better of me and I took the oil cooler plate off my old car, all I can say is holy hell that is an awful place for coolant pipes. Also I had a real revelation spotting not only the home of the metal pipe but also another rubber one alongside it. I'm sure that's going to take me longer than a weekend  :(

Why did you remove it?  :-/ Hope you resealed it when putting it back?

The oil cooler sits in a good place, in the centre of coolant flowing, keeping the oil at a good temp. Why is it an awful place?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2011, 17:49:48 »

Why did you remove it?  :-/ Hope you resealed it when putting it back?

The oil cooler sits in a good place, in the centre of coolant flowing, keeping the oil at a good temp. Why is it an awful place?
I am guessing that the old car is a spares car :-/
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2011, 17:51:42 »

Coolant dripping from the rear of the engine, passenger side, turned out to be rotten head gasket on my last car  :(
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2011, 18:00:00 »

Yes I should have been more clear the old car is my CDX that cooked itself last year, I ran out of will power and summertime to strip it :) I should post a pic of it actually, the hole in the cooler plate is fairly awesome.

I was just amazed that they put a rubber hose in a place that was so inaccessible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.