Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternator  (Read 11219 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Alternator
« on: 20 October 2023, 11:09:21 »

Travelling just 3 miles from home yesterday, the alternator red light came on.  Bit by bit the electrical power went, then the dreaded limp mode made it's feelings known. I just managed to park up outside my home, and the engine died.  No power left to turn the engine, or work any electrics!

I knew what the problem was, but called in the AA to inspect, check all connections, and then confirm my fears.  Alternator gone, dead, cupput! :'(

Found prices for a replacement, and asked my local garage for a quote to replace.  How easy is it to fit an alternator?  The last time I fitted a - well, it was a generator then on an A40 -  it was dead easy.  Not so now I reckon on a 3.2 engine.

Any thoughts please. ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Alternator
« Reply #1 on: 20 October 2023, 11:26:49 »

It's not complicated, but is nowhere near as easy as an A40. Access isn't as good, there's more to remove to get to the alternator, and it's much bigger.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 October 2023, 11:56:44 »

Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2023, 12:01:47 »

Here you go  :y

https://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=107049.0

Thanks Skruntie and Nick. :y :y

I am asking myself am I up to do all that work now?  Frankly with what you describe and show, I do not think I am up to it, or rather want to be.  I think I have no choice but taking it, with AA assistance, to my local garage.

Thanks again though :-* :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2023, 14:33:29 »

Rarely the alternator dead. Usually the regulator on the back of the alternator needs replacing. I got mine from the company below, on the recommendation of Kevin Woof if my memory serves.

https://www.rotatingelectrics.co.uk/search?q=Vauxhall+omega+regulator&options%5Bprefix%5D=last&type=product
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 October 2023, 14:40:53 »

Rarely the alternator dead. Usually the regulator on the back of the alternator needs replacing. I got mine from the company below, on the recommendation of Kevin Woof if my memory serves.

https://www.rotatingelectrics.co.uk/search?q=Vauxhall+omega+regulator&options%5Bprefix%5D=last&type=product
I wouldn't take any recommendations off that old dog.
Diesel till I die

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2023, 14:58:10 »

I had similar issues as Lizzie decribed on my Carlton Diplomat, car just conked out with lights on the dash , leave it a while mine would restart and conk out again after a mile or.

Simle fault - spade connector (Thin wire at crimp joint) had worn , took it off crimped on a new terminal, problem solved. :y

« Last Edit: 20 October 2023, 14:59:45 by Mr Skrunts »
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2023, 15:09:08 »

I don't know what prices you have been quoted for a replacement alternator, but when mine gave up the ghost, I took it to an  autoelectrics place who fully overhauled the existing alternator for around £50. Replaced the electrical components with genuine Bosch (not cheap chinese versions!) and a new pulley bearing. Came back looking like new.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2023, 15:31:28 »

Thanks for all the advice and comments :-* :y

Awaiting the requested quote. 

However I have found the correct part at Europarts, who have a branch just around the corner from my garage of choice, and my main dealer.  I can get the Lucas alternator for £134, but including a £47 "surcharge" that I get back when I return the old part to them.  So a net price of £87.  Therefore even though the £50 reconditioning price could be good, for just £37 approx more I get a brand new part.

Anyway, I think a few days of decision making lay ahead, let alone getting the cash / credit together, before I decide.  I am also going to review the slim possibility of me doing it all. Really don't know yet!! ::) ::) :D :D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2023, 16:56:29 »

Caffyns, my local main dealer, has been the first to come back with a price.  £200 for fitting, I supply the £134 alternator.

I think that is fair, and I am even getting a 4 month 0% interest loan to pay for it.  Then I also get £47 back on the old part when returned to Europarts.

No I can relax over the weekend, as I expected a far higher overall bill knowing only all too well what Omega's cost to keep going!!   It will be a £1,000 for this year with cam belt changed, rear brake pads replaced, steering box fluid changed, two new rear tyres, new double exhaust back from cats, and now alternator replacement! :(  Oh well, such is life  :) :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2023, 17:18:20 »

Or you could order the part for about £15 and save yourself a load of money. Its almost always the regulator.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2023, 17:25:25 »

That price probably excludes the excess for the exchange part, so your maths might be round the wrong way LZ

I agree, the alternator fault is more likely to be the regulator pack on the back, which is the cheaper fix.

Alternator is a bit fiddly on the Omega, but not difficult.  Like many jobs, access can feel tight.  Be defo do-able.

But the first thing you must do *RIGHT NOW* is get that battery off and on charge.  Leave it a day or 2 and I promise the battery will be shagged.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 October 2023, 18:24:01 »

Don't overlook the battery.

Get a multi meter and run through Kevin's excellent diagnosis guide.
Onanists always think outside the box.

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 October 2023, 18:42:53 »

Well it will be easier than changing the one on my Austin A40 hot rod as it sits on top of the chassis

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 October 2023, 20:32:54 »

Mid Ulster Rotating Electrics are very helpful  :y , RobG put me on to them.

Lizzie:
Removing/re-fitting the alternator is fiddly rather than difficult, mainly due to undoing the bolts by feel from above rather than sight. Once removed, the regulator takes about two minutes to swap so no issue there.  :y  It’s just a shame that the alternator won’t drop out the bottom, it has to come upward. From memory, disconnect battery, disconnect lead from alternator **, remove air filter to ram intake pipe, remove alternator belt and then feel for the bolts with a socket and spanner. Once removed, swap regulator for the new one and reassemble. I’m sure others will correct me if I’ve forgotten anything. Definitely doable though.  :y

**  You can either jack the car up and crawl under it to undo the alternator lead or remove the lead from above once the alternator is free from its fixings.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.