Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake pipe flaring kit...  (Read 2987 times)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
Brake pipe flaring kit...
« on: 24 July 2015, 18:33:23 »

...since I'm going to have to get Valhalla style with the MV6, I may invest in a pipe flaring kit. The prices though, range from £20 to £250...

Since it will be for occasional use, is the likes of this Machine Mart one any good?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht229-pipe-flaring-cutting-kit-?da=1&TC=SRC-brake%20pipe%20kit

...or should I be looking elsewhere?
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Brake pipe flaring kit...
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2015, 20:14:56 »

As it was for infrequent use I bought a cheap one-circa the £20 mark a few years ago[can't remember makers name offhand]and it works perfectly fine,don't think it would last very long if used in a professional environment,but as a now and again tool can't complain for the price.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2015, 21:16:01 »

It's OK, for the money and occasional use. But it isn't particularly consistent or easy to use. There are lots of little bits to lose between now and the next time you use it, too.

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2015, 21:20:36 »

now and then use is ok....having sold garage tools for many years that is only my opinion,,,,,if you are going to use it on very old brake pipes and you want to flare them on the car then you may find the older style pipe very much harder to flare as the metal was much harder..so buy spare flaring tips..op1  and op2...as they tend to break easily....if however you are using it on the more up to date softer copper piping then it will be fine.... :y :y

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2015, 22:23:33 »

Ta chaps! Will get one sorted soon...

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2015, 22:36:17 »

The problem I found with the £20 tool is that the flare tends to go off centre as it you create it.

If you hold the tool in a vice it makes it easier to create neat flares but you can still create the odd flare that looks like a beginners attempt on a potters wheel. ;D

I learnt to cut my pipes slightly too long so I could cut a duff flare off and form a good one on the second attempt :y
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2015, 22:53:33 »

machine mart one is overpriced (as usual) and as said fiddly bits easily lost and broke. got thru two of these before giving up and getting old favorite out the draw if you can find one.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/moprod-brake-pipe-flarer.24923/

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 July 2015, 10:12:53 »

new version?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Pipe-Flaring-Tool-Kit-for-3-16-Pipes-on-or-off-the-Vehicle-by-Powerhand-/181063197795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a28352463

This type is your best bet, just get the type you need (ISO, DIN, bubble, single etc.). It can do steel and copper nickel (cunifer) brake lines. If you look carefully the other types often only do copper.
« Last Edit: 25 July 2015, 10:16:37 by JasonH »

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2015, 11:41:41 »

I've found a place that will make brake pipes up for you to the correct spec. & length with male / female connectors attached. Priced em up for a full set for the Disco at just over £100.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2015, 18:52:14 »

new version?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Pipe-Flaring-Tool-Kit-for-3-16-Pipes-on-or-off-the-Vehicle-by-Powerhand-/181063197795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a28352463

This type is your best bet, just get the type you need (ISO, DIN, bubble, single etc.). It can do steel and copper nickel (cunifer) brake lines. If you look carefully the other types often only do copper.

How do I find out what type I need? I currently have two Omegas, two 1993 Mercedes, and two 2000-ish VWs on the drive...

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 July 2015, 19:45:48 »

I think  the original pipes will be steel, but if any are replaced, they often use copper.
best wishes
Simon.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 July 2015, 20:42:02 »

new version?

How do I find out what type I need? I currently have two Omegas, two 1993 Mercedes, and two 2000-ish VWs on the drive...

I'm afraid I don't know for the Omega. German cars tend to be metric Single DIN flares and the fittings metric 10mm. I suspect that's what the Omega will be too. It's Japanese cars that are different.

You can tell by undoing one and comparing it to images on the web (not great) but unless someone on here can tell you for certain it's hard to find out another way.

In terms of brake pipe 3/16"  is the same as metric 4.75mm and is an almost universal standard. Copper is the easiest to work with but can work-harden and fracture with vibration. Steel is very hard to work with an if the coating gets scratched (which it will) will rust. Kunifer is the best but isn't the easiest to bend. I used Kunifer.

You don't really need bending tools you can bend it just find with your hands. I bought bending tools and they almost kinked the pipe. Ended up doing it with my hands.

There are some good tutorials on youtube (and some iffy ones, i.e. not really safe).

You can also make up some flares on a spare length of pipe then recover the fittings - they don't get consumed.

There's some info on this ebay advert:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-BRAKE-PIPE-KIT-TOOL-911-356-912-914-KUNIFER-/300929874645?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4610d17ad5
« Last Edit: 25 July 2015, 20:45:13 by JasonH »

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 July 2015, 20:44:27 »

Ta chap! I have made them as an apprentice, but my boss had proper old, good, kit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.