Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PC Advice - DDR5 Timeing  (Read 1946 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
PC Advice - DDR5 Timeing
« on: 05 November 2023, 11:03:10 »

Some one paid me back a debt thats been outstanding for a few years so am considering a new PC

I have decided on the main components (Motherboard & CPU)
It will require DDR5 but on reading up it seems people are haveing issues with thier choice in RAM and (Motherboard choice).

I seem to have settled with the G-skill brand over the years without issue.

Looking at the the manual the G-Skill timeings of the modules tested are.

30-36-36-89
30-40-40-96
30-40-40-96
30-40-40-96
30-40-40-96
30-40-40-96
30-40-40-96
32-39-39-102
34-45-45-108
34-46-46-108
36-36-36-83
36-36-36-96
36-46-46-115
40-48-48-128

Am I correct in thinking the lower numbers the better?

TIA

Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: PC Advice - DDR5 Timeing
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2023, 18:19:47 »

You don't get lower numbers across the board.  Generally if the first number is lower, the next numbers will be higher. That's a fact of how memory works.

Realistically, you won't notice any difference between any of those modules (they are massively slower compared to the cache, hence the timing figures are high), so buy the cheapest branded form a reputable supplier.  And for F's sake, use full antistatic precautions fitting memory modules.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2023, 18:21:00 »

Or better still, just buy a branded PC, as it will have better thermal solutions than home built ones in crap cases.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2023, 18:23:35 »

Or better still, just buy a branded PC, as it will have better thermal solutions than home built ones in crap cases.

Where's the hundreds of posts fun in that?
Diesel till I die

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2023, 12:02:30 »

Cheers TB
I am aware regards static - but then it never hurts to be reminded :y

Not into Branded PC units anymore. I still have 2 or 3 Dells kicking about, 1 Needs a new PSU and as per usual I sourced 1 but it was the wrong dimentions.

I have been looking to build a mini server for myslef.  I have looked at a Dual CPU X99 Mother board, ticks a lot of boxs (USB3 - 2 x 16x Pcie - 8 SATA - built it Graphics)

I have seen various CPU options at good prices, I probably have some spare matached 4 x DDR4, Hard drives, case etc. I can put that all togeter for sub £150 depending on CPU choice. (In fact sub £100 for lesser spec CPU's (Iwas going for a higher core count and Speed))

Contradicting myself - But looking at 2nd hand gaurantted server units the ones I would choose are 3 or 4 times the budget I want to spend. :-\

My last server was a dual Pentium 233 so anything I suppose is an improvement.

Still got home work to do (finding out the latest winders server edition (if the still produce it)) Plus didding out bits and peces whilst I am currently doing my spring cleaning.

There you go STEMO the post replies have started :)

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2023, 13:11:15 »

DDR timings are pretty irrelevant, the interface timings adapt to the fitted modules to ensure the skews etc are correct for the part.

That can be either via an eeprom on the memory part or via the processor carrying out a ram learn when it sees a new device fitted.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2023, 15:48:45 »

Server = ECC RAM and ECC RAM compliant CPUs, ie Xeons in the Intel world.  I suspect thats not actually what you want (or probably is, but dont want to pay the cost, or the leccy bill).  OOF no longer runs on the HPE Proliants (each server was a single Xeon 2600 V3 series, 224GB RAM, P440 array card, 8 x 1.2TB SAS, 10Gb networking) in order to keep the electric bill under £400 a month...

Branded work better for 24/7 PCs, purely because they are properly considered and designed, rather than a parts bin of shite thrown together, complete with 30 fans trying to cool it. Downside of all desktop CPUs is they can't handle enough RAM for server use. Most top out at 64GB :(

SATA is shite for server type work, not up to the job.  SATA ports are generally a waste of time for anything other than optical drives. Shame, as I have a shed load of 2Tb SSDs ;D.  So don't be swayed with all those crap mobos with 10,000 sata ports and about 3 variants of sata chips and pseudo raid. Universally shite.  SATA SSDs are usable for desktops, but a bit crap nowadays.

Windows Server 2022 is the latest version of Windows Server.  As always the server licence isn't too bad cost wise, but the CALs are still hefty.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2023, 15:52:57 »

DDR timings are pretty irrelevant, the interface timings adapt to the fitted modules to ensure the skews etc are correct for the part.

That can be either via an eeprom on the memory part or via the processor carrying out a ram learn when it sees a new device fitted.
Mostly, as you say, the timings are stored on a ROM on the module that the board can read and adjust to.  DDR5 is more compatible than DDR4, itself better than DDR3 etc, but you still get fringe cases where a firmware cant deal with a specific option, or a board can't deal with different modules having different timings.

Sometimes it simply won't POST, sometimes it will but you're in that horrid world of random BSODs :(
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2023, 17:59:20 »

Cheers all for the advice.  Much appreciated for your input TB.  All advice taken on board and project cancelled.

Out of interest how efficient would windows server work on an older pc. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2023, 18:13:07 »

Out of interest how efficient would windows server work on an older pc. :y
Depends on what you want the server to run.  If it's MS Exchange or a bloody great SQL database, then you'll run into trouble due to how like RAM you can fit in older gear.

If its just a fileserver with 1 a handful of users, 4GB of RAM might suffice...  ...although in a home environment, I'd have to question why not use a consumer version of Windows desktop or customised BSD running a storage appliance. Or even if your internet is usably fast, a cloud storage solution

All Windows Server that are still getting updates are all 64bit, so don't go below 4GB, same as you wouldn't running 64bit Windows desktop.  Depending what you want to run, Windows Server can be run without the GUI that saves some resources, and also reduces the attack vector, and is generally recommended (but a steep learning curve, as everything is powershelgl, or via RSAT).  If it's just to trial something, 2GB will "work" but will struggle if you run any server applications or sharing lots of files.

Where you planning on running bare metal Windows Server, or running it on top of a Type 1 hypervisor, as the latter may put some restrictions on hardware over and above the Windows requirements.
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 November 2023, 19:32:33 »

Current system Gigabyte Z370
Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz
Installed RAM   32.0 GB
System type   64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Thinking of building a new PC so this would become a backup PC or made into a server (or even dual boor it)

It has 2 6TB drives and a DVD.RW installed and boots from a Samsung M2 Pro

I have mutltiple external drives, ans s**t loads of old HDD's that I want to back up in 1 place, I have USB caddys to drop the HHD's in for ease of use, so rather than tie up a PC whilst backing up I want to have something dedicated for photo's, setup/drivers etc, Youtube downloads etc etc plus there are old family videos to store

Also would be an advantage to setup all my email accounts together, plus over time add the printers to make it all central. Makeing it all central to store, Burn and print DVD disks for the family etc as photos dont all stand the test of time. 

I am no way commercially minded with the tech out there and the way industry utilizes it.  to me it's all a learning curve and therefore a lot of abreviations dont mean anything to me as I need to Google it  But am enjoying learning from people that know thier stuff. :y :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2023, 20:41:16 »

That's plenty good enough to play solitaire and read posts on OOF  >:D

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2023, 20:43:44 »

That's plenty good enough to play solitaire and read posts on OOF  >:D

Get your facts right. ::)

OOF is prioitry followed by Tetris ;D

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 November 2023, 11:12:26 »

Started my new PC

Just building the  case. ::)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 November 2023, 15:32:45 »

Is that Fred Flintstones computer?  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.