Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Y26SE Oil Cooler Pipe Joint to Oil Cooler is "Wet"  (Read 1897 times)

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
Y26SE Oil Cooler Pipe Joint to Oil Cooler is "Wet"
« on: 10 January 2024, 17:54:22 »

So, started to change 2.6 V6 cam cover gasgets after breather glogged due to cold weather (read due to bad maintenance). While I was there decided to take away also sandwich plate to see better... front oil pipe joint is totally dry but the one in back is a bit wet (see figure). I tasted it, not sweet but like oil.

I believe that my oil cooler is ok as no signs of oil in coolant tank. I also remember that someone here mentioned that corroded oil coolers were problem in early models 2.5/3.0 but perhaps not in later later 2.6/3.2. My engine number is 08533230 if that helps categorizing.

No I ask tips how to proceed, just leave it as it is or something else. Could it be just a leaking washer (the lower one), could I try to tighten it or try to take it away&change to seal washers. I am a bit afraid of opening those joints, first cooler bridge and then oil cooler union bolts as they have been there from 2001.

Please help, experince needed now.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Y26SE Oil Cooler Pipe Joint to Oil Cooler is "Wet"
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2024, 18:22:48 »

I would suggest, given the motivation to get the inlet off, that that is residual oil from the cam covers and previous spillage during servicing rather than an issue with the oil cooler pipes. The logic is simple. Those fittings are at a relatively high pressure, any oil leaks from those fittings would be significantly more impressive.

Clean the entire area thoroughly and refit everything that you were already replacing.

Then in 3-6 months remove the intake again and compare pictures with this now, after cleaning and then :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2024, 19:04:35 »

Thanks for your quick reply DG, I really hope you are right. I am hesitating a bit as "now I am there" but understand your logic. If I start to disamantle more in worst case I brake the cooler which seem to be a rear part today.

Is this pipe joint a common place for oil leak?

Allways difficult to make decisions, I have time to think as now changing covers and cleaning breather. The plastic unit above plenum was full of water and ice.

The smaller pipe coming from breather box behind cyl 5 is glogged but bigger is OK. Idea is just to open these pipes without removing the box itself as advised in the guide (if I understood right).

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2024, 19:47:45 »

Thanks for your quick reply DG, I really hope you are right. I am hesitating a bit as "now I am there" but understand your logic. If I start to disamantle more in worst case I brake the cooler which seem to be a rear part today.

Is this pipe joint a common place for oil leak?

Allways difficult to make decisions, I have time to think as now changing covers and cleaning breather. The plastic unit above plenum was full of water and ice.

The smaller pipe coming from breather box behind cyl 5 is glogged but bigger is OK. Idea is just to open these pipes without removing the box itself as advised in the guide (if I understood right).
I don't believe that it is a common oil leak point. That's to say oil getting there from the previous two suggestions would be significantly higher up the list of possibilities. Cleaning and revisiting will confirm this.

Unless you have clear and obvious signs of oil cooler failure I would leave it well alone

Both those breather pipes and all the corresponding orifices require cleaning out as per the breather guide here :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

polilara

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2024, 17:26:44 »

Thanks DG, I do my best, not to dismantle more...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.