Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tech2 tool software install  (Read 1944 times)

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
Tech2 tool software install
« on: 25 December 2009, 05:06:55 »

No wonder I'm going thin on top when I keep pulling it out!
I bought a Tech2 USB and it duly arrived with the relevant software. Problem is the tool itself looks a decent bit of kit but the software CD will not load onto my PC or my Laptop. There is no serial number or CD Key required either. The PC is Win XP (bang up to date with service packs and updates) and my Laptop is Win7 which is also bang up to date.
Question is can anyone suggest how this is installed and how the thing works after it is? I can PM a pic of the CD content if it will be of any help.
Thanx m8t's
« Last Edit: 25 December 2009, 05:07:15 by its.ray »
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

Ken L

• Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    • View Profile
Re: Tech2 tool software install
« Reply #1 on: 25 December 2009, 12:47:52 »

I don't know anything about these Bionic, but I would suggest you include the make and model of the unit you've bought, so the guys in the know can give you better information.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 December 2009, 10:07:52 »

I'm guessing you have want we call a 'cheapo tech2' - a chinese clone or a rubbish Hungarian tool?

Do not confuse its abilities or robustness with a proper Tech2 (£3.5k plus software).

If yours is a cheapo tech2, and USB, I am afraid it will never work properly - the tool and software relies on perfectly timed levels on the RS232 port (the USB versions have a USB to serial adapter built in), which is difficult enough to achieve if your computer has a proper serial port, but nigh on impossible using USB to serial adapters.

Its possible, but less likely, you have an illegal clone of "My Naff Code Reader" (£600) or similar, in which case, no discussion of how to get it to work here - you need to go to your supplier or "My Naff Code Reader" direct for support.
Grumpy old man

omegadti

• Glasgow
    • omega dti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 December 2009, 12:48:59 »

I bought a cheapo unit on fleabay which didn't work - I then paid a bit extra and got the deluxe model which does work - pm me for details as I don't think we are allowed to discuss it here

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2009, 07:47:28 »

Hm. I can only go off my own experiences.
Can't see any problems with mine at all, its working as it should and I have resolved all of the problems I had before. I have had it checked out, of the back door by a VX techie m8 of a m8 and he said the motor was running as well as it could be, no errors or fault codes given. I must have done something right, there again the software link gives access to the best OBD software there is so I suppose it comes down to how it is installed and used. My USB version works perfectly well on WIN7, installed in Compatability mode, and my serial one likewise. I bought the serial one because many said that the USB version would not work! I shall be trying it on an XP based system when my other Laptop arrives off eBay. Once again I do not expect it to cause me any problems but time will tell.
For more info on the company who supply the software go to;

xxxxxx

They are hardly a fly by night bunch of rip off artists considering just what they produce and who uses it.
Like I said - Works for me.
Have a great New Year all.

Edit by jimbob.....No links to illegal software please
(and it was, I checked  :y)
« Last Edit: 30 December 2009, 09:01:56 by jimbob »
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2009, 12:13:19 »

Hm. I can only go off my own experiences.
Can't see any problems with mine at all, its working as it should and I have resolved all of the problems I had before. I have had it checked out, of the back door by a VX techie m8 of a m8 and he said the motor was running as well as it could be, no errors or fault codes given. I must have done something right, there again the software link gives access to the best OBD software there is so I suppose it comes down to how it is installed and used. My USB version works perfectly well on WIN7, installed in Compatability mode, and my serial one likewise. I bought the serial one because many said that the USB version would not work! I shall be trying it on an XP based system when my other Laptop arrives off eBay. Once again I do not expect it to cause me any problems but time will tell.
For more info on the company who supply the software go to;

xxxxxx

They are hardly a fly by night bunch of rip off artists considering just what they produce and who uses it.
Like I said - Works for me.
Have a great New Year all.

Edit by jimbob.....No links to illegal software please
(and it was, I checked  :y)
The 'cheapo tech2', as previously said, is flakey as hell using a proper serial port. Using USB adapters (or USB version, which simply has USB to serial adapter built in) is even more flakey. In the majority of cases, this just will not work. Ever.

Other tools that look similar (as all the illegal chinese clones use same case) are better tools. No links to device or software, unless its to LEGAL copies (which for both cheaper USB tools is the sole UK importer for each). We have to protect the forum - I'm tired of legal batterings this year, the next one, I may simply not bother fighting it  >:(

And, as said earlier, don't for one second think that these tools are even remotely capable of what the dealer Tech2 devices can do.
Grumpy old man

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2009, 14:09:08 »

I have looked further into mine by ripping its head off, might even have wrecked it, and it has possibly turned out to be an "My Naff Code Reader" clone which is maybe why the genuine software, which I downloaded legally, works with it. I downloaded the software from an address for the download which was given in an Email from the seller of "My Naff Code Reader" equipment.
I now intend to probably buy the genuine article direct from "My Naff Code Reader" as they are just about affordable. No more Ebay buys for me.
I will not be posting any more links as it causes too much trouble.
Good point is that all of my error problems have now been resolved before I took it to bits!
Regards

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2009, 14:55:40 »

I have looked further into mine by ripping its head off, might even have wrecked it, and it has possibly turned out to be an "My Naff Code Reader" clone which is maybe why the genuine software, which I downloaded legally, works with it. I downloaded the software from an address for the download which was given in an Email from the seller of "My Naff Code Reader" equipment.
I now intend to probably buy the genuine article direct from "My Naff Code Reader" as they are just about affordable. No more Ebay buys for me.
I will not be posting any more links as it causes too much trouble.
Good point is that all of my error problems have now been resolved before I took it to bits!
Regards
The seller of the device gave you links to CRACKED versions of the software - that is why the software was so old. Thats why the Admin team immediately knew it was illegal clone!!

"My Naff Code Reader" can be legally purchased via the UK importer for around £600.
Grumpy old man

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 December 2009, 15:23:25 »

Thanx,
Got my eye on one already and once the New Year has recovered I shall have it. Got to spend my money on something now I don't smoke at all and drink only rarely!
Meantime can I do anything about the tools who ripped me off?
Have a good one.............

iggy21uk

• Omega Knight
  • Berkhamsted - Herts
  • Omega Spotter -  tats gone tanning
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2009, 12:46:23 »

« Last Edit: 31 December 2009, 12:47:17 by iggy21uk »
[size=10]Opelscanner Can owner / Cam lock kit owner [/size] [/i][/b]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.