Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tesla introduce "ludicrous mode"  (Read 4216 times)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
Tesla introduce "ludicrous mode"
« on: 20 July 2015, 21:50:47 »

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-americancars/tesla-ludicrous-mode-introduced/32560

As if owning a milk float wasn't daft enough (snigger ;) ) they go and do this ;D ludicrous mode ;D you gotta love that. "Excuse me while I press the ludicrous button" ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Tesla introduce "ludicrous mode"
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2015, 22:12:58 »

Saw 2 of the Tesla Saloons in Londinium last week... One in the car park at Paddington station and then one as we were driving out of said car park. Look a tidy car :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2015, 22:17:14 »

Yes they do actually, almost sexy. :)

Stood next to Honda Accord (I think) Hybrid as it pulled away in electric mode. Bah, it's just not the same. Car instantly takes on a plastic fibre glass type presence, almost with rattling bottles. ;D
« Last Edit: 20 July 2015, 22:20:01 by chrisgixer »

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2015, 22:20:36 »

I'll have to get used to it though. :-\

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2015, 22:52:14 »

Cheapest one on Auto trader.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201506154335560?atmobcid=soc4

Dearest
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201501200292236?atmobcid=soc3

You could buy a proper car for that kind of money.

Oooooh you'll upset him you know. With that kind of talk. :o ....er, er.... Just think of the fuel savings.  :-X

;D

although seriously, just for a minute you understand, imagine NEVER needing to pay for fuel ever again. ...EVER. :)

Ok that's enough....;D

I can imagine waiting hours to charge the damn thing up on a long journey though. Bugger that.

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2015, 23:16:04 »

Having driven one, I would have one in a heartbeat... Depreciation is currently zero.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2015, 00:02:49 »

Sorry, i couldn't drive an £80k motor with a caravan lead in the boot - It's just so wrong!
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

jimbo125

• Intermediate Member
  • Camberley
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.5V6CDI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2015, 00:07:48 »

The Tesla S 4 door looks bloody nice for an all electric car and brisk performance. 60/40 split rear seat? a concept from the omega I think ::)
2.5V6 Had it since 2002, what a beast, worth the time and effort to keep it road worthy. Vauxhall bring them back!!! Laser timing kit for OOF member hire

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #10 on: 21 July 2015, 01:38:03 »

The Tesla S 4 door looks bloody nice for an all electric car and brisk performance. 60/40 split rear seat? a concept from the omega I think ::)

Had that on Carltons ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2015, 09:48:21 »

As did the Chevette Black magic concept of the 70s  :) Renault 16 had a folding back seat too, if I recall. I digress, my only concern with anything electric is you have to charge the bugger.

Now I don't know about everyone else, but my phoneis in a state of constantly needing charging. You get in, you forget to charge it, etc. Until we have a system of every parking space, driveway and multistory car park with a contactless charging system, whereby you have a chip/VIN No/Account No that can be scanned, so 'the system' knows where you are at all times, and you automatically get charged (and billed) wherever you park up, then the electric car is always going to sit as a second car. Quite literally if you forget to 'fill up' there's no 'ahh, bugger, I'll get em to the petrol station and bang a tenner in, get me home' no, it's 'ahhh, I'm down to 2%, that'll get me half way to work, no more. Best park up, walk back home and drive my evil old gas-guzzling petrol car to work today'

Not going to bemoan the future, as the system of near-constant charging must surely come, but what do we all think of a 'fuel station' hidden under the roadways, where anyone, in any car park, can install a contactless charging pad in their parking bays, recharge your car, but charge double what the electric costs them/what you normally pay up your own driveway/work car park etc. And you're nonethewiser until your electric quarterley bill comes in, and you see you've effectively been 'buying expensive fuel at the motorway services' so to speak - without your knowledge. We've all done it, inadvertently gone over our phone contracts, and been billed to suit, or whatever.

There's money to be made, there. Very sneaky profiteering money to be made. Not saying that this sort of act hasn't happened before in history, 'course it has -  but just my little prediction  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2015, 10:06:57 »

You forget one minor detail... any suitability specced Model S can be fast charged for free, for life at any Tesla dealership/service centre/supercharger point :y

The batteries also have an eight year, unlimited mileage warranty. Which is nice 8)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 July 2015, 10:22:21 »

Do you happen to have a Tesla Dealership/service centre/supercharger point handy, sir?  :)

Even if these become as frequently-spaced as a Vauxhall Dealership - that's around 5-600 in the UK - that's still not enough of an infrastructure to account for the 'silly sod' factor of modern life. If people don't buy wind up clocks/watches any more because they forget to wind them, and have to take a spare USB lead into work, because they forget to charge their phones, and so on and so on, so too will their electric cars be running out of juice frequently. Hence an infrastructure no less extensive and massive than streetlamps or telephone lines will have to be implemented. And more extensive than petrol stations, given that, as said, you can't just pop in and give your car 500 miles range in 5 mins, as with an Internal Combustion vehicle. An hour for 300 miles is the best option presently. Or 22 miles for an hour's charge at normal rate.

I'm not rubbishing the technology, the two options, Hydrogen Fuel cell and all-Electric are the future, no getting round that - Hybrid will cease soon enough. I'm simply observing that, just like when the telephone was invented, that it's no good there being one (well, two  8)). For it to be practicable there had to been a network of them, spread nationwide. TV in the 30s was expensive and stupid, two different formats, incompatible with one another, and only a hour or so of TV per day. It takes time for a new technology to find its feet, and find its place, and again, the infrastructure to support it. Ironically, the Electric Car was invented almost a century before TV, but that's another matter  :)

I'm one of only two PFL Omegas left in my town, I look forward to the day where I'm running the last Petrol-powered car in the town  :D
« Last Edit: 21 July 2015, 10:24:11 by Diamond Black Geezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 21 July 2015, 10:37:42 »

Funnily enough, there's plans for one at the Tesla dealership not a mile from work ;D and 300 miles range would last as long as a tank of fuel :y

Unfortunately £320 a month is only a third of the finance cost... that said, given the current residual values for them, a pcp ought to be pretty reasonable  :-\

Here's a current list... http://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/findus/list/superchargers/United+Kingdom
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.