Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lorries have trouble turning left...  (Read 6264 times)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
Lorries have trouble turning left...
« on: 22 July 2015, 18:58:05 »

...nooooo really? You think...? ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33622318

While clearly they do as I'm sure you all know to varying degrees. I have to question the wisdom of placing such a large, heavy and difficult vehicle to drive such as this, in the hands of such a retarded moron. HELLOOOO ! ? !

Having said that, does the bikes horn not work? Shock I suppose, and a feeling of complete helplessness took over. :o

05omegav6

Re: Lorries have trouble turning left...
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2015, 19:12:04 »

So the biker also failed to spot the fact that the lorry was turning left, and indicating, and made no allowance whatsoever for the amount of space that a vehicle that length needs. In that final position, the lorry driver couldn't possibly have seen the bike, not helped by the fact that he was probably watching the near side rear corner and the offside front corner to clear the kerbs.

Ironically, the one window that the bike might have been visible through is completely obscured by mirrors... which the law insists on being fitted to give the driver as much view along the blind side as possible. ::)

badmuver

« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2015, 19:59:04 »

agree with harris on this one  :y :y

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2015, 20:15:43 »

Truck turning into street with indicators on, I would have stopped a fair distance before the biker did. Rather than ride into the truck's path as this chap did.

What is more interesting is the mother who leaves her child in a pushchair by the kerb and rushes to help the biker. In Peckham!
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2015, 20:38:53 »

I aggrer with Harris on this. And if the op wishes to argue the point I will gladly take him into the hell hole which is central London in a artic and 26plt fridge trailer and watch how well he does.
 yes loaded and delivery's to do. :)
Hoof'land storeman.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2015, 21:11:48 »

Interestingly he didn't get a chance to stop sooner because he was doing his "Lifesaver" check... Slightly ironic  ::)

A freak accident really... He was just in the blind spot the whole way
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2015, 21:32:33 »

An awful lot of two wheeled persons put themselves into dangerous/life threatening postions when near Lgv's, the common is up the inside,while lgv is waiting to turn left.
 its getting to the point were you are having to think for everybody else before they do it.,
 The worst offenders are the urban cyclists.
 large off road type bike, dressed in black, go pro on their head, using the streets like an off road course. All called Nigel or woger.
Hoof'land storeman.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2015, 22:09:31 »

Noob biker maybe, no reaction whatsoever; I`ll just sit here & die  :o
I don`t trust any HGV driver  :P

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2015, 22:28:43 »

Interestingly he didn't get a chance to stop sooner because he was doing his "Lifesaver" check... Slightly ironic  ::)

SWMBO got swiped by a foreign HGV on the M25 a few years ago. She was in the middle lane passing it but level with the front axle, artic moved into middle lane and batted SWMBO onto the top of the grass bank.

It simply isn't good enough to blame the poor sod who wasn't big enough to be seen ('sorry mate I didn't see you'). If a vehicle has such poor visibility that it can't safely be used surrounded by children, cyclists, bikers & micras then it shouldn't be sharing the same road space. >:(
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2015, 22:31:42 »

Noob biker maybe, no reaction whatsoever; I`ll just sit here & die  :o
I don`t trust any HGV driver  :P
I rode a motorbike in the centre of London for 20 years. The safest approach seemed to be to assume that the other sod hadn't seen me but might try to kill me if they did see me.   ::)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2015, 22:44:59 »

SWMBO got swiped by a foreign HGV on the M25 a few years ago. She was in the middle lane passing it but level with the front axle, artic moved into middle lane and batted SWMBO onto the top of the grass bank.

It simply isn't good enough to blame the poor sod who wasn't big enough to be seen ('sorry mate I didn't see you'). If a vehicle has such poor visibility that it can't safely be used surrounded by children, cyclists, bikers & micras then it shouldn't be sharing the same road space. >:(

TBH, if everyone had to pass a driving test to the higher standards required of professional drivers the roads would be a much better place ;)

In a lane change situation there is very little excuse for not spotting a car if the correct awareness and checks are done but it's when manoeuvring that it is easy to lose things in blind spots.

Edit: Just re-read that it was a foreign lorry... So she was in his blind spot. I don't believe anyone who says they have never been in a situation where something catches them out because it is in a blind spot, even in a car ;)
« Last Edit: 22 July 2015, 22:47:06 by Lazydocker »

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2015, 22:50:55 »

I drive on th A12 south from Ipswich to London regularly and ive nothing against bikers(sold bike only 2 years ago). The traffic is usually heavy travelling both lanes 60-70mph ,bikers continually go down the middle over/undertaking incredibly close to vehicles ,their luck will eventually run out. My point is bikers must help themselves in todays busy roads and not take ridiculous risks,has anyone else experienced this?
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2015, 23:04:05 »

I drive on th A12 south from Ipswich to London regularly and ive nothing against bikers(sold bike only 2 years ago). The traffic is usually heavy travelling both lanes 60-70mph ,bikers continually go down the middle over/undertaking incredibly close to vehicles ,their luck will eventually run out. My point is bikers must help themselves in todays busy roads and not take ridiculous risks,has anyone else experienced this?

As do I... Only really notice it when speeds are below about 55 but I agree... Everyone needs to help themselves as well as each other :y

Having driven to Paddington and back today I've run the gauntlet of foreign drivers, bus drivers just pulling out, lorries trying to bully, motorcycles, my pet hate of cyclists who think the rules of the road don't apply to them and (worst of all) black cabs!! But we arrived home in one piece as always  ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2015, 06:52:27 »

My feeling is that the hgv should have known the blind spot was there and did not drive in a manner which took this in to account.  He goes too wide for starters and too is going too fast.

The biker didnt know what the hgv was going to do before it was too late.  most bikes can only reverse by pushing with the feet and going to the right hand side would have put him in an equally dangerous situation.  Which brings me back to my point about position and speed.

Interestingly, there are other furums where even the hgv drivers and instructors are having a go at the hgv.  But of course, if it was a cyclist then it would have obviously been his fault and he should be locked away for for life for having the audacity to film it ::)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 July 2015, 07:44:43 »

My feeling is that the hgv should have known the blind spot was there and did not drive in a manner which took this in to account.  He goes too wide for starters and too is going too fast.

The biker didnt know what the hgv was going to do before it was too late.  most bikes can only reverse by pushing with the feet and going to the right hand side would have put him in an equally dangerous situation.  Which brings me back to my point about position and speed.

Interestingly, there are other furums where even the hgv drivers and instructors are having a go at the hgv.  But of course, if it was a cyclist then it would have obviously been his fault and he should be locked away for for life for having the audacity to film it ::)

I am inclined to agree that he took a very bad line... Had I been driving I would have used more of the road he turned off of to get a better line into the side road.

It's a combination of errors really, by both parties, none major but they all add up to what could have been a very nasty accident!!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.