Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3070183 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #10740 on: 21 July 2015, 21:20:52 »

Poxy aircon bust already. Only lasted a month  :'(

Need to inspect, thoughts? Compressor seals, condenser leak?  :-\

Needs identifying where the leak is. Could be anywhere. Uv glasses and a lamp required if it had die in it.

But condenser is favourite culprit usually. Car cooling link on here somewhere if so. (Link in parts iirc)

Yeah got their details. It's not sounding right either, almost metalic whistling sound from centre vents. Which can be made to sound normal, putting to lo and back again. Climate reset still the same

So inspected it, not got the right tools but can't see anything clear like a big leak. Bottom of the condenser is intact, nothing falling down. Around the compressor looks ok, road but nothing green.

Some dye around HP valve, but could be from when they put it in.

New LP valve aswell, after its been gassed, remove dust caps and put some soapy water on them, also spray condenser with soapy water. Looking for bubbles.
Hoof'land storeman.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10741 on: 21 July 2015, 21:41:43 »

Needs identifying where the leak is. Could be anywhere. Uv glasses and a lamp required if it had die in it.

But condenser is favourite culprit usually. Car cooling link on here somewhere if so. (Link in parts iirc)

Yeah got their details. It's not sounding right either, almost metalic whistling sound from centre vents. Which can be made to sound normal, putting to lo and back again. Climate reset still the same

So inspected it, not got the right tools but can't see anything clear like a big leak. Bottom of the condenser is intact, nothing falling down. Around the compressor looks ok, road but nothing green.

New LP valve aswell, after its been gassed, remove dust caps and put some soapy water on them, also spray condenser with soapy water. Looking for bubbles.

I was advised NOT to use soapy water on the valves as it a) leaves a residue that can contaminate the system b) can cause rust (?) or other problems with the schrader valve. c) if just gassed then the soapy water can react with the refridgerant to exagerate a) & b).

The advice I was given was to pour a small amount of PAG fluid into the valve and to then watch for any bubbles rising through the PAG fluid.

I know nowt about air con systems .. this is just the advice given by the mobile fitter who came and sorted mine out. He even left me a small jar of PAG fluid in case I needed to check the valves at any time in the future.

I know nothing .......   

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10742 on: 21 July 2015, 22:15:27 »

I was advised NOT to use soapy water on the valves as it a) leaves a residue that can contaminate the system b) can cause rust (?) or other problems with the schrader valve. c) if just gassed then the soapy water can react with the refridgerant to exagerate a) & b).

The advice I was given was to pour a small amount of PAG fluid into the valve and to then watch for any bubbles rising through the PAG fluid.

I know nowt about air con systems .. this is just the advice given by the mobile fitter who came and sorted mine out. He even left me a small jar of PAG fluid in case I needed to check the valves at any time in the future.

I know nothing .......   

Similar story with LPG leaks. Soapy water works, but causes corrosion.

Trouble is the leak spray that is supposed to replace soapy water doesn't really work in showing the bubbles. ;D

Anyway. Any oil based fluid would show the bubbles but not cause corrosion. 3 in 1 oil perhaps.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10743 on: 22 July 2015, 08:50:05 »

I know nothing .......   
Last condenser I changed was 12years old, been coated in road salt,rain, car wash, and other road type detritus, its alloy, the pipes are alloy, I don't think a little squirt of a soapy solution is going to corroded it or dissolve it within minutes.
Hoof'land storeman.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10744 on: 22 July 2015, 09:55:07 »

I know nothing .......   
Last condenser I changed was 12years old, been coated in road salt,rain, car wash, and other road type detritus, its alloy, the pipes are alloy, I don't think a little squirt of a soapy solution is going to corroded it or dissolve it within minutes.

Totally agree .. I was referring to the VALVES not the condenser or other external bits ....  :y :y
« Last Edit: 22 July 2015, 09:57:45 by Entwood »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10745 on: 22 July 2015, 11:49:56 »

Just as pointer, the soap wont contaminate the refrigerant and cant, its at atmospheric pressure and the system at many PSI (many hundred in the case of HP side). It might as a remote possibility get a tiny tiny amount in when next gassed.....but given it should be vacuumed down first.....

For the valves, a wipe of 'universal lubricant' (spit) works well just as per the old checking of a tyre valve.

Detergent based soap is an oxidising agent (the reason why you should not use washing up liquid to wash a car) and hence can accelerate corrosion particularly on steel, cant see it being an issue on the alloy given it will go when driven whilst it rains (you can always hose it off anyway)
« Last Edit: 22 July 2015, 13:27:18 by Marks DTM Calib »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10746 on: 22 July 2015, 12:15:43 »

Cheers, i'll try that tonight  :y

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #10747 on: 22 July 2015, 14:15:06 »

Rang stealers ....... "have you any door strap bushes" ?
Yes he says 2 in stock !
"i'll have them" ... Ten minutes later in my hand !
That's service for you  :)

Anyone who wants some Will have to wait till Monday now  :P
Omegatitis

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10748 on: 22 July 2015, 21:07:22 »

Drove to Paddington, Parked it, drove home. Plenty of retards on the road today though!!! ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #10749 on: 22 July 2015, 22:15:59 »

Had it booked in for a service & MOT on Friday but summat came up and I had to make it a week Friday!  >:(

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10750 on: 23 July 2015, 00:09:09 »

Started it up after it sat on the drive for a month.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10751 on: 23 July 2015, 11:05:40 »

First time?

I presume it must of been on charge/re charged?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10752 on: 23 July 2015, 13:28:54 »

First time?

I presume it must of been on charge/re charged?

Second time.  :-[  Disconnected the battery.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10753 on: 23 July 2015, 18:37:10 »

Lost a heapload of aggression on the way home. Poor thing got proper spanked. Probably knackered the speakers as well  :-[

Might have also gained a NIP this morning, reckon I should be OK as was still in a built up area but was just starting to ease power on leaving the town when the blue, yellow and white cash machine became visible from behind its hiding place.

Mrs TB was expecting a NIP following a bout of frustration with slow drivers on the Tingewick bypass (short road section I believe still holds record for the fastest speed in a successful prosecution?), but that was Silverstone weekend, and nought yet.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10754 on: 23 July 2015, 23:31:54 »

Discovered ones alternator bearings to be rather oppsing opposed. Although a great deal of noise shows itself as not much play and slightly rough when spinning the pulley by hand. Bearings can be heard ticking over the top of the shaft as it turns. Sigh.... ;D

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.