Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.6 spanner + eml light flashing, throttle body clicking + non starting  (Read 3662 times)

Stu.C

• Lancashire
    • 2.0 Capri / 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • Visit the blog...

If you've doubts about the fuel pump, could you not loosen off the fuel line going into 1,3,5 and then jumper the pink pump relay (in the engine bay) ... ?
Nothing better to do ? Visit the blog at cuyahoga.co.uk

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile

hi john.
various suggestions have been put forward above and its one of those "not obvious" faults that we come across now and again. hardest to find when theyre not consistent.you have possibly eliminated crank sensor now ( you would hope) so its down to another faulty component ,wiring issue,or connection issue.
as mentioned  looms can be getting more brittle now especially in the engine compartment but to me (and suggested) it might be at the stage where you can swap parts from your other omega to eliminate.    but first.
worth checking carefully all leads out of the battery to and from the battery mounted fusebox.
earth connections under the battery and around the place.
connections inside the relay box / relay sockets etc.ecu plug.ecu earth.
multi round connectors near the battery.
just to be sure .it would be nice if wiggling these whilst engine running showed the fault but most likely not !.
injection and fuel pump relays can be swapped ,and if no difference can stay where they are.
if you dont mind this part swapping idea then the ecu and ring would at least check that part of it for elimination purposes ( or be the issue)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

Thanks for all the suggestions Chris. I am hoping to have a further play tomorrow, although I have also now managed to get hold of another 2.6 ECU to try (as a last resort with help of programming by the very knowledgeable auto electrician) if all else doesn't reveal any likely culprits.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Fraggles Rock

• Intermediate Member
  • United Kingdom
    • View Profile

The 3.2 ecu from one of your existing cars that is known to work correctly would have sufficed.

A second hand unknown one may introduce other issues.

Also, don't forget that you also need the matched chip and transponder for this acquired ecu.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

The 3.2 ecu from one of your existing cars that is known to work correctly would have sufficed.

A second hand unknown one may introduce other issues.

Also, don't forget that you also need the matched chip and transponder for this acquired ecu.

If it comes to using this replacement ECU, then 'my man' doesn't need the transponder chip and transponder. He states he can wipe it, and then reprogram it to my car. He did another for me several years ago on a 3.2, presented with just the replacement ECU, and it has been fine ever since. He was recommended to me then by several technicians at VX as being the 'man for the job'.
See what else I can find before that stage though.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

...... and I wouldn't simply swallow the 'It's the Ecu' diagnosis, especially if it's given remotely. A new ecu is the pinnacle of scatterbomb parts replacement and I doubt it will actually solve the problem.

Just a quick update on this saga. Took the Omega to my 'ECU definitely' man. The fault was as he diagnosed - the ECU was goosed. Apparantly, new ones are on back order at VX, and are well over a grand, plus VAT when available.
He has previously successfully wiped and reprogrammed used 2.2's and 3.2's ECUs in the past, but he struggled with the used 2.6 ECU I got for some reason. Fortunately he managed to find a brand new boxed GM unit 'gathering dust' at a fraction of the cost, programmed it, and now the car is starting and running as sweet as a nut - like the proverbial sewing machine :y
Seems like the intermittant non starting issues, that had got progressively worse since the start of this saga, were nothing other than the start of the ECU failing, and throwing red herrings into the mix. Fortunately other informative topics on here with similar starting issues also pointed towards the ECU failing.
Experience in a particular field is always invaluable in diagnosing symptoms relative to an actual fault, and the recommendation of this particular auto electrician above all others by other VX technicians being a good indication of his ability....

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

I still wouldn't rule out the loom, based on experience having replaced more looms than ecus (4-0), but it sounds like it's sorted.
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

After a few days of use, I would say now the problem definately wasn't anything to do with the loom - the car has started instantly first and everytime since its new ECU was fitted and is now running beautifully.
I appreciate the suggestions for possible culprits though :y
Although still a strange one why the ECU did give up the ghost - damp possibly? Although it was a gradual / intermittent failure, whereas the one on my 3.2 about 7 years ago was an immediate failure of the ECU due to a battery failure probably resulting in a 'spike'.
Good though to be up and running with a brand new GM ECU at what I consider to be a very reasonable cost :)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile

The earth's under battery box corrode,as does the joint in loom.
Hoof'land storeman.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

As per Chris' suggestion in post #16 -  earths checked and are remarkably clean and rust free :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.